New to Audiocircle, been lurking here though :)

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« on: 29 Jun 2005, 03:11 am »
Hello fellas, I mustered enough balls to make myself a member at audiocircles, much like legalalien just did.  

Right now I've got a stock Teac and a stock SI
Audcom 120 preamp (tubes)
Samsung 841
crappy interconnects
and crappy speaker cables.

I've read so much about the mods that vinnie has done, and even though i haven't talked to him, it feels like i already know how capable he is.  I've been lurking since october of last year and read all about vinnie.  

Here's a question i've been wanting to ask for EVARRRRR.  Does anybody know how a stock teac sound like with magnepan MMG W's?  I've been wanting to get these speakers forever, but i'm scared that it wont sound as good as i hoped.  OOOO cmon guys, dmason, anybody?  I wanna get everything modded when $ frees up, but as of now, how's the setup look? Thanks guys, i'm finally posting.

:thumb:  :beer:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: New to Audiocircle, been lurking here though :)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2005, 10:48 pm »
Quote from: beatdownvictim
Hello fellas, I mustered enough balls to make myself a member at audiocircles, much like legalalien just did.

BDV,

Welcome to the Circles!  Glad you decided to join us  8)
Please don't feel funny asking any questions...that's what this is all about!

Sorry I cannot comment on the Teac + MMG combo, but I'm sure someone out there has tried it out, right guys?  :?

Again, welcome to the party!

Sincerely,

ryno

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2005, 11:12 pm »
I tried a stock teac with MMG-W's in my bedroom.  The speakers didn't work well in that room, lack of wall mounting options, so the sound was very hollow, no image at all. Not at all like the MG12's in the living room. I'm sure they would sound better in a better room. My worry for you would be volume, the teac put out enough for background or late night listening, but not enough for sit back and feel it kind of listening. Right now I'm trying the W's as centers for my HT. Tonight I'll hook up the teac and try them as mains in the bigger room and let you know what I think.
Ryan

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2005, 01:42 am »
Wow, i thought that the Teac would drive the MMG-W's to a decent level.  I'm using mine with an Athena P3 subwoofer.  I thought that the Teac would do well with the maggies considering they're both rated at a 6 ohms.  Thanks guys.

ryno

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2005, 03:06 am »
I put the teac in the main system tonight, the little thing keeps over performing. When hooked up to the 12's it sounded great at lower and medium volumes, compairing it  to a bryston 3BST. Starts to break up at "my" normal listening levels, 12x25 room. I went through an NAD and a rotel before the bryston trying to find an amp that could control the low end on the 12's. At lower levels the teac had the same nice control as the bryston. Imaging was great, maybe a little more detail and air than the bryston, maybe wishful thinking, but very similar. For a smaller room at mid volumes it's a nice combo. Still not impressed with the W's though. The image was better properly set up in a bigger room, but they still had a hollow or megaphone sound. Maybe this is from switching back and forth with the 12's which are 4X the price. I had MMG's before, and their much closer to the sound of the 12's than the W's. If you want the W's for wall mounting reasons, I can't argue, but the MMG's are well worth the extra $250.  I heard the MGMC-1's at a dealer and they sounded great, wall mountable but even more $$.
Good luck, Ryan

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2005, 11:42 am »
Hi Ryno,

Thanks for posting your findings...

Regards,