Red Wine Teac mod impressions

franjy

« on: 18 Jun 2005, 01:35 am »
My first month with Red Wine's Modded Teac 70OP

It's been a month since I replaced my amplifier with Red wine's modded Teac.
   The amp that Vinnie's Teac replaced was $1200. Not the costliest amp I've ever bought, but the best amp I've ever owned.
  The first week, with the Teac was as expected. Even though I had used the stock Teac for 3 weeks before sending it to Vinnie, It was like starting from scratch again. The big caps Vinnie installs probably take longer to break in than the  much smaller stock ones.
   In either case, improve it did. To the point where I knew I'd be keeping the Teac. But not before I gave my old favorite a last chance. After all, I hadn't listened to it in a month.
   The differences were far greater than I expected.
The Teac was even clearer than I thought. With much tighter bass and much greater detail and nuance. The added texture it brings to singers voices makes Barber, Krall and Allyson seem real. Well recorded piano is remarkable.  More than enough power.
   Actually, it's all good.
   Nice going Vinnie.

My system.
Sony SCD 555ES. Oade Brothers Mod.
Goldpoint 24 step shunt attenuator
Red Wine Modded Teac AL700P
Triangle Titus 202 speakers. C/O modded. Sonicaps and Mills resistors.
Same values as stock.
Rava SE Subwoofer. Cabinet braced. 24 DB C/O @ 60HZ.
Interconnects: DIY 26ga solid silver twisted pairs.
Speaker cables: Analysis Plus 12.
Jon Risch Power conditioner.

Zero

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2005, 02:15 am »
Congrats !   May I ask what amp it is replacing!?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2005, 05:33 am »
Question...
    The big caps Vinnie installs probably take longer to break in than the much smaller stock ones.
    [/list:u]
      How long before the caps (on the modded Teac) are fully broken in ???? Any estimates....thanks !! :) [/list:u]

franjy

May I ask what amp it is replacing!?
    « Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2005, 01:34 pm »
    Quote from: A6M-ZERO
    Congrats !   May I ask what amp it is replacing!?

I'm reluctant to mention the amp I'm replacing with the Teac
    because it's a superior product made by a manufacturer I've admired
    since I first became interested in serious audio. Naming it infers that one amp is better the another, rather than a personal preference.

Lately, I prefer my music as clear and detailed as possible. Vinnie's Teac delivers that in spades, without the negatives that usually implies. Amp X, is on the warmer, more forgiving side, also without the negatives that usually implies.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
      • http://www.vinnierossi.com
    Re: May I ask what amp it is replacing!?
    « Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2005, 01:51 pm »
    Quote from: franjy

I'm reluctant to mention the amp I'm replacing with the Teac
    because it's a superior product made by a manufacturer I've admired
    since I first became interested in serious audio. Naming it infers that one amp is better the another, rather than a personal preference.

Lately, I prefer my music as clear and detailed as possible. Vinnie's Teac delivers that in spades, without the negatives that usually implies. Amp X, is on ...

Hi franjy,

How about you make a game out of it...the amp manufacturer is x number of letters, starts with a letter y and ends with a letter z, etc.  :lol:

Thanks for posting your impressions of the Red Wine Teac...I'm glad you are enjoying it and finding to provide plenty of power, and a whole lot more!  :drums:

Happy listening!  :P

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2005, 03:12 pm »
    Franjy

Does your amp wear a kilt? Come in optional tartan? Share a common Gaelic ancestry with a fast food chain?  :lol:

franjy

Does your amp wear a kilt?
    « Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2005, 03:31 pm »
    Quote from: Dmason
    Franjy

Does your amp wear a kilt? Come in optional tartan? Share a common Gaelic ancestry with a fast food chain?  :lol:[/quote

Guid ween, ye gae ae richt repone.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
    « Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2005, 04:07 pm »
    How can it be "superior" if the Teac sounds better?

Build quality, looks, etc. are all secondary to the basic function better sound (and a lower price in my book).

Why the allegance?  Everything at this level is based on personal preference.

(Not that I care, because I know my next amp will be a Vinnie modded Teac and I don't own a $1200 amp.)

gslashcpc

Red Wine AL 700P
    « Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2005, 07:28 am »
    Vinnie,
          It's been 2 weeks and we're lovin' the amp and pre-amp! :lol:  :lol:
    My wife is a true believer and this makes it soooo much more enjoyable. :!: I'm still trying to sell the speakers and hope to get some Omegas in the near future. How's the cdp coming?
                                       Our best to you,
                                           Chuck & Marilyn (initial post :D )

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
    « Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2005, 10:44 am »
    Welcome aboard.

I finally broke down and bought a stock Teac.  My Clari-T sounds great with my Fostex F200A based floorstanding mass loaded transmission lines, but at only 90 dB/w/m (abet a very friendly 90 at that) I know that more power would help.

So I'll try the Teac/F200A combo and perhaps a Clari-T/B200 combo and see which I might prefer.  I wasn't planning on having two audio setups in my listening room, but it's cheap play at this level of quality.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    Re: Red Wine AL 700P
    « Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2005, 04:10 pm »
    Quote from: gslashcpc
    Vinnie,
          It's been 2 weeks and we're lovin' the amp and pre-amp! :lol:  :lol:
    My wife is a true believer and this makes it soooo much more enjoyable. :!: I'm still trying to sell the speakers and hope to get some Omegas in the near future. How's the cdp coming?
                                       Our best to you,
                                           Chuck & Marilyn (initial post :D )

Hi Chuck and Marilyn,

Welcome to the Red Wine Circle, and thanks for posting your initial impressions!  I'm glad to hear that you both are enjoying your Red Wine Teac and Puri-T Passive Preamp  :D

The CDP has been on the back burner, but Louis and I are still aiming to have it ready by the end of the summer...hopefully  :wink:

Again, welcome to Audiocircle!  

Sincerely,

Tubo

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2005, 01:56 am »
    Just received my Red Wine Teac today! First, it was just as carefully packed as I had sent it: doubled boxed, and the unit itself covered in the original Teac wrapper. Smaller chance of UPS screwing up!

As I unwrapped it, I saw the new switch on the front and flicked it. The blue light went on! Cool! The battery had a charge on it. I have never had an amplifier that you could turn on right out of the box, without plugging it in.

It's been playing less than an hour, so these are preliminary impressions. The bass is so much stronger... it sounds like a completely different beast. Plus the overall frequency balance is... more balanced. The tilted up response of the stock unit is virtually gone, although on some (very few) recordings (e.g. Patricia Barber) I can still hear slightly exagerated sibilants. But the detail is all there, with an exceptional clarity. I love it!

Thanks, Vinnie!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2005, 02:37 am »
    Quote from: Tubo
    It's been playing less than an hour, so these are preliminary impressions. The bass is so much stronger... it sounds like a completely different beast. Plus the overall frequency balance is... more balanced. The tilted up response of the stock unit is virtually gone, although on some (very few) recordings (e.g. Patricia Barber) I can still hear slightly exagerated sibilants. But the detail is all there, with an exceptional clarity. I love it!

Hi Tubo,

Thanks for posting your prelim impressions!   :P  I'm glad you like it....it gets better with burn-in, as you'll hear for yourself (please post back if you can after you put time on the unit)!  

Have fun!  :smoke: