ACI Seven Channel Essence V system review ...

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #80 on: 30 Jul 2005, 06:45 pm »
BTW Mike, the rolloff does indeed work well with the Pano ports stuffed (just like you've been saying all along, eh?)

My room can work either way, but it's nice to know it works so well when I want it. Darn near deserves to be listed as a feature - i.e. `flexible as a ____' etc. - goes without saying here

Craig - sorry to insert in the middle of your string. Any new reports-thoughts?

E

Craig Chase

« Reply #81 on: 31 Jul 2005, 06:34 am »
E - Chime in anytime. Your input is always good stuff. We are still loving the Essence package, I still cannot believe how dynamic these speakers are. More people need to try ACI.

thedeskE

« Reply #82 on: 1 Aug 2005, 05:24 pm »
Thanks Craig

Should get my newest Essence center in this week.
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this 1 speaker. For me, it was the most important of the set. I've said as much many times here and on other forums.

I think most spkr builders are catching up with the 3 way box at this point, but few have such a solid match with more than 1 main spkr in their line. Not an easy task with so many different duties (voice, most of the main camera explosive hits and portions of the music)

The Achilles of any set. It could quickly win the audio battle or bring it to it's knees (how's that?)

The jack of all trades is not an easy gig.

E

Craig Chase

« Reply #83 on: 1 Aug 2005, 06:11 pm »
E - The Essence center channel is the 2nd best I have heard. Period. It betters anything we have had here, and (this part take with a grain of salt, because the Aerials I heard in store, and not in my home) even the Aerial's I auditioned.

I did find the B&W HTM 1D was more articulate, and handled power better. Of course, there IS the small price difference ...  8)

thedeskE

« Reply #84 on: 1 Aug 2005, 09:07 pm »
the B&W HTM1D center channel speaker at $8,000
I have experience with the old HTM1 - the 1D might have gained a bit of sunshine.

E

thugh

« Reply #85 on: 2 Aug 2005, 12:08 am »
Quote from: Craig Chase
E - The Essence center channel is the 2nd best I have heard. Period. It betters anything we have had here, and (this part take with a grain of salt, because the Aerials I heard in store, and not in my home) even the Aerial's I auditioned.

I did find the B&W HTM 1D was more articulate, and handled power better. Of course, there IS the small price difference ...  8)
'

I actually agree with you on the Aerial comment.  Comparison to Aerials is something that comes up quite often and to tell you the truth I think the Panoramas give the LR5 somthing to think about.

The Mikes', Dzurko and (Michael) Kelly, make good speakers  :lol:

Craig Chase

« Reply #86 on: 2 Aug 2005, 02:44 am »
Quote from: thedeskE
the B&W HTM1D center channel speaker at $8,000
I have experience with the old HTM1 - the 1D might have gained a bit of sunshine.

E

Yep, The "D" version of the Nautilus line is excellent, though really pricey.  :o The look of the speakers is ALMOST enough to make a guy drop $30K on a system. Almost ...  8)

Craig Chase

« Reply #87 on: 2 Aug 2005, 02:45 am »
Quote from: thugh
'

I actually agree with you on the Aerial comment.  Comparison to Aerials is something that comes up quite often and to tell you the truth I think the Panoramas give the LR5 somthing to think about.

Tom, You sound surprised to have actually agreed with me ...  :lol:

thugh

« Reply #88 on: 2 Aug 2005, 04:35 am »
'

You seemed almost apologetic to make the comment... I was saying no need for the salt... I whole heartedly agree  :lol:

Craig Chase

« Reply #89 on: 2 Aug 2005, 10:55 am »
'

You seemed almost apologetic to make the comment... I was saying no need for the salt... I whole heartedly agree  :lol:

Hmmmmmmm ... You are the 2nd person in two days to suggest I may be almost TOO polite in a description of a product ...  :peek: ... It may be the reaction of a certain few people to some of my shootouts has made me gun shy ... :uzi:

I have discovered something else - The smilies here are a LOT of fun.

And yes, the Mikes make good speakers ...  8)

thedeskE

« Reply #90 on: 2 Aug 2005, 02:06 pm »
Don't you get a box of Cubans & a Hooker with the 1D? Furniture Polish? Gloves? Delivered in a Limo?

:P

E

thedeskE

« Reply #91 on: 8 Aug 2005, 11:05 pm »
OK, so bad joke.

Essence center back in the room (Thanks Mike) Gave it a quick hug and back to work.

Great to have the `BEEF' back in the center position (it's what's for dinner-any one hear Copeland playing?)

E

Craig Chase

Next Phase coming soon ...
« Reply #92 on: 28 Aug 2005, 07:56 pm »
We are back on track for getting some Protege V's and the Protege center channel, along with a Force and a Titan. With the speakers we already have, we will be exploring systems from ACI starting at $2399 (5 Emeralds and a Force) to $3099 (Proteges V mains, Protege center, Emeralds or Emerald-on-Walls and a Titan subwoofer).

Look for these to be here, well, as soon as Mike's team can build them ...

Craig Chase

« Reply #93 on: 9 Oct 2005, 04:42 pm »
For an update, The ACI guys have been pretty busy keeping I with demand. Mike Dzurko called me on Friday, Oct. 7, to let me know I am scheduled to have Proteges with the next "Batch" of cabinets.

Hopefully before month's end.

Craig Chase

Sapphire XL's ...
« Reply #94 on: 16 Nov 2005, 05:14 am »
After talking with Mike - We went with Cherry XL's. This will br the short version, with more updates later:

I love these speakers ! Talk about soundstage ! ... but the best part, my wife is impressed that I actually found a speaker that fits her decor.

That falls under the "blind squirrel" theory ...  :D

Mike Dzurko

Re: Sapphire XL's ...
« Reply #95 on: 17 Nov 2005, 10:22 pm »
After talking with Mike - We went with Cherry XL's. This will br the short version, with more updates later:

I love these speakers ! Talk about soundstage ! ... but the best part, my wife is impressed that I actually found a speaker that fits her decor.

That falls under the "blind squirrel" theory ...  :D

It's only going to get better . . . . I sure look forward to hearing all about it :)

ajayrav

« Reply #96 on: 18 Nov 2005, 01:41 am »
Craig,  I would be specially interested in your comparison of the Xls with other ACI speakers you have, as well as other speakers you have auditioned or done shoot-outs with.  I am glad you love these speakers as that completely corroborates with my experience with the XLs.  These are REALLY nice speakers in my opinion.

Ajay

Craig Chase

« Reply #97 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:28 pm »
I will bring the XL's upstairs an play with them in our larger theater room (in which the Essence speakers are now playing) over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

We had friends over last night, and I fired up some David Sanborn and Tony Bennett live - My one buddy was almost mesmerized by the XL's - He could actually "see" Bennett walking around the stage.

Harry P

« Reply #98 on: 17 Dec 2005, 04:31 pm »
I will bring the XL's upstairs an play with them in our larger theater room (in which the Essence speakers are now playing) over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

We had friends over last night, and I fired up some David Sanborn and Tony Bennett live - My one buddy was almost mesmerized by the XL's - He could actually "see" Bennett walking around the stage.

Craig, did you ever have more time with the XLs? Would love to hear more. TIA

Craig Chase

« Reply #99 on: 17 Dec 2005, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: Harry P

Craig, did you ever have more time with the XLs? Would love to hear more. TIA

Harry, I have been swapping out the XL's, a pair of Axiom M80's (a fantastic bargain, though not as elegant in design/looks as many other speakers) and the Energy Veritas 2.4i's.

The XL's are one of those loudspeakers that not only ooze elegance in appearance, but also do so with sound.

They are not class leading in any one facet of sound reproduction. What they are is very neutral, with a hint of "velvet" to the overall presentaion of music. You can listen to these speakers for hours, and never get tired of them.

They go surprisingly deep in bass, too. For the past 3 weeks, no subwoofer has been used, which is pretty unusual for me (that was an understatement ...  :D ).

The XL's just LOVE unamplified music - Jazz and Classical music flow through them. The XL's just stay out of the way, and make good music.

Manheim Steamroller's Christmas CD's are a favorite of mine, and, again, no hint of harshness at any time.

If you want to ROCK - they need a subwoofer. I have played with the new Rocket UFW-12 - Sapphire XL's, and it is hard to believe you are hearing a $2600, 2 channel set up.

Excellent, unassuming loudspeakers.