corner mounting 703

ryno

corner mounting 703
« on: 13 Jun 2005, 01:55 am »
Well it's time to add some room treatments in a nondedicated room, also living room, and HT. From all the posts I've read lately, corner and first reflection points are the best places to treat. For each corner I plan to use a 2'x4'x3" piece of 703.  I want to cut each piece in half the long way at a 45 degree angle, then cut the opposite side at 45 degrees the other way to give two 1'x4' wedges to go from floor to ceiling. I need some ideas on how to mount these. Would they be more effective spaced away from the wall an inch or so.  maybe a bracket or standoff of some kind. I guess mounting to the wall is easy, how do you attach things to the foam? Any insight would be great.
Ryan

Bingenito

corner mounting 703
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:25 am »
Since 703 is rigid you can probably just stand it on the floor and tack it to the ceiling and it will stay in place as long as it is not bumped.

I am treating my non-dedicated room with 705, 703 and tube traps. The 705 is behind curtains, 703 at reflection points and tube traps near the corners of the room.

You can check out my gallery for some ideas

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=Main-room&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&sid=6c8380cb8f313d50d16b8bebd8101803&include=view_album.php

brj

corner mounting 703
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2005, 03:38 pm »
Bingenito, your post reminded me of a question I've been meaning t ask for a while now...

Is there a reason, other than cost, that you wouldn't want to use 705 everywhere?  The only difference between 703 and 705 is the density of the material, and thus the range of frequencies absorbed for a given thickness, correct?  Or are you only looking to absorb the highest frequencies?

Thanks!

Bingenito

corner mounting 703
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2005, 04:04 pm »
Is there a reason, other than cost, that you wouldn't want to use 705 everywhere? The only difference between 703 and 705 is the density of the material, and thus the range of frequencies absorbed for a given thickness, correct? Or are you only looking to absorb the highest frequencies?

I got the 703 for free. That was a good reason for me  :D

The tube traps made a very nice difference and look better than large panels IMO. The tube also stand on their own

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
corner mounting 703
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2005, 08:52 pm »
705 works fine for bass absorbtion.  For reflection points where you can have pretty high angles of incidence, the denser 705 can actually reflect higher frequencies instead of absorbing them - hence 703 for that application is superior.

As for the corner traps, I assume you don't have room for a full 2' wide panel.  Otherwise, the more surface area the better for bass absorbtion in most cases.

8thnerve

Re: corner mounting 703
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2005, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: ryno
Well it's time to add some room treatments in a nondedicated room, also living room, and HT. From all the posts I've read lately, corner and first reflection points are the best places to treat. For each corner I plan to use a 2'x4'x3" piece of 703.  I want to cut each piece in half the long way at a 45 degree angle, then cut the opposite side at 45 degrees the other way to give two 1'x4' wedges to go from floor to ceiling. I need some ideas on how to mount these. Would they be more effective spaced away fr ...

You'll get best results if you place a foil scrim on the front of the panel before you wrap it with fabric, and give about a half inch of space from the side of the panels and the wall with a bracket or standoff.

ryno

corner mounting 703
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:57 am »
Thanks for the reply 8th. After reading about your new products, I assume adding the foil is to reflect the sound wave back into the foam. Would a couple layers of latex paint do the same thing?
Thanks Ryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
corner mounting 703
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2005, 12:01 pm »
The foil scrim will simply make it less broadband.  It can also skew the absorption curve in the 250Hz area in relation to the rest.  If this is the desired effect (and is many times), that's fine.  Just be aware.

If you want to simulate and measure with and without, go get some heaving shipping paper and staple up over the face of the absorption.  Measure/listen with and without the facing to determine what you need.

8thnerve

corner mounting 703
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2005, 04:10 pm »
Quote from: ryno
Thanks for the reply 8th. After reading about your new products, I assume adding the foil is to reflect the sound wave back into the foam. Would a couple layers of latex paint do the same thing?
Thanks Ryan

More or less, yes.  Anything reflective will work, but will vary at different frequencies depending on the type of material used.  Foil scrim is just cheap and easy, and works pretty well.