Chicago Blues Fest

bmed

Chicago Blues Fest
« on: 10 Jun 2005, 12:38 am »
Hey guys.  I've been working in Chicago for the last month, pretty boring, working weekends and all, but starting tonight, it's looking up.  The Chicago Blues Fest begins tonight.   I'm catching John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers tonight, Koko Taylor tomorrow, and finishing up with Buddy Guy, Saturday.  I'll try to get a few pics.

I'll tell you, it's a far cry from Springfield.  There are 4 vinyl shops on one street a block from where I'm staying.  Unfortunately I haven't really had a chance to finger through the selection.

Hey Scott, you wouldn't happen to know if Jon Ver Halen keeps any of the complete Lowther's around for a listen.  I've driven past Forest Park a time or two and thought If I had time I'd give him a call.

Brad

Scott F.

Chicago Blues Fest
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2005, 04:05 am »
Funny you mentioned Jon. I just talked to him tonight.

Yep, he keeps a couple of completed pairs on hand. Last time I was up at Jons he had a pair of PM6As in the Medallion cabinets and a pair of Mini-Me's (the 4" Lowther drivers). He mentioned that he was experimenting with a powered sub in the Medallion cabinet. You might get lucky enough to hear it. Plus he has just introduced the Medallion III's. His place is really easy to find.

Four vinyl shops on one street...... let me guess, you're up in the Lincoln Park area?

It's a shame you don't have some more free time, Chicago is one of my favorite towns to just hang out in. Especially downtown. Tons of stuff to do and loads of great places to eat. It's like an entertainment orgy  :mrgreen:

bmed

Chicago Blues Fest
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2005, 04:51 pm »
Well, I survived the crowds and the heat in Grant Park.  I gotta say the majority of the smaller stage acts were only so-so.  I didn't get to stay as long as I would have liked given the heat and my pregnant wife, but overall a good time.

Scott,  I'm going to give Jon a call and see what I can set up.  I've seen a little about the Medallion III's on his site as well as the sub integration project.  It would be interesting to see how well the sub can integrate--not easy with the speed of the Lowthers.

Brad