Which AKSA?

Brian T.

Which AKSA?
« on: 7 Jun 2005, 06:48 pm »
Hi Guys,

Well, one channel of my power amp has croaked  :( ....RIP....

Despite being a lurker on this site (and its predecessor) for many years, the time has come to put my beer vouchers where my ears are.  My current set-up is as follows:

Cyrus dAD3Q CD player/Media Server via ART DI/O
Passive pre-amp (a la Ben Duncan)/Ben Duncan AMP-01 in refurbishment
John Linsley Hood power amplifier – 100W (MOSFET) per channel
Acoustic Research AR925 speakers – 4ohm (3.2 min.) Sensitivity: 8W=96dB@1m

Now the inevitable questions  :mrgreen:

1)  When I play most rock music, the volume control is at around 30% to 50%.  However, when I play classical (my main interest), it is at around 50% to 75%.  I believe that a 55W AKSA will be insufficient and I really need the 100W AKSA.  Any comments?

2)  For me, when listening to classical music, quality is what it is all about.  The ‘Nirvana’ upgrade at $AUD170 seems reasonable enough.  However, the ‘Nirvana Plus’ upgrade at $AUD460 made me gulp  :o   I know it’s like the old adage of “how long is a piece of string”, but will a pair of 52year old ears really tell the difference!

I am aware that most of the above is subjective, especially as the output of the ART DI/O can be varied, but any comments are gratefully received.  (Larry, PSP, BobM, Occam, Lost81 et al what do you use?)

Many thanks to all,

Brian

PSP

Which AKSA?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2005, 08:22 pm »
Hi Brian,
First of all, welcome to the fold... we're glad you surfaced!

I use a 55N+... I just did the "+" upgrade a year or so ago, and I must say that it was the most profound change (for the better) that I have ever heard in a piece of equipment.  It's nothing short of stunning, and I will now wait for someone to step in and contradict me....

I have had the good fortune to have a good job that I love, and the even greater fortune to get paid reasonably well.  That said, I built a 100N as a gift to my brother-in-law for his 50th birthday... he had briefly listened to my system (BTW he played defensive tackle in college football) and the music from my system almost drove him to tears... he was just awestruck.  So I built him a 100N and a TLP as a surprise.  And, before delivery, I slipped that beast into my system to check things out... The 100N brought added muscle and dynamics that I really enjoyed.  Not that the 55N+ lacks power by any stretch of the imagination, but the 100N was clearly more capable when it's time for the orchestra or pipe organ to grunt (my speakers are 90db efficient, BTW).   Since my long-term goal is to build an active system (with a 100 N+ on the bottom, 55N+ on the mids and top, see Jens Thorson's speaks), this experience has led me to buy the 100N+ now and listen to that for a while.  Actual 100N+ music is still some months off, since Hugh has not yet dispatched the parts.

Others might see the equation differently... there is in theory a penalty in finesse with the added power, but Hugh has told me that in this case the sonic penalty is minimal or zero (and Hugh has never misled me in any way).

You can't lose.... the choice depends on your budget, speaker efficiency, and what you like from your music.  I demand a certain degree of refinement, but there are times when music is properly gritty, unrefined, and nasty... I want to hear that too.

If you are unsure about N+, do N first.  I am confident that when you hear what Hugh hath wrought in the N, you will be quite happy to pay the man for N+.  BTW, I am 58, I did a fair bit of shooting as a kid (without  hearing protection of course) and was in the artillery in Vietnam... and I can very definitely hear the N+.

Good luck,
Peter

Malcolm Fear

Which AKSA?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2005, 08:39 pm »
My ears are 58 years old, the rest of me probably older.
I have gone all the way with mods to my AKSA 55 and GK-1.
I always hear a difference. It is always for the better.

I can't comment on 55 versus 100.

Carlman

Which AKSA?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2005, 08:42 pm »
How far are you from your speakers while listening?  How big is the room?

If it's a larger room, with some distance between you and the speakers, I'd suggest the 100N+.  I have built and compared the 100N to the 100N+ and it's a no brainer to go for the '+'.  You get the finesse and the guts.

Also, if you later decide to change your speakers, you have more options.

Just my thoughts...

-Carl

AKSA

Which AKSA?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:01 am »
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to our little audio coven!

You have good equipment.  Both Linsley Hood and Duncan have been profound influences on my thinking over the years, I actually use JLH's concept of phase lead in the AKSA, so I know pretty much where you are coming from.  I'm also quite confident you would be very pleased with an AKSA.

Firstly, at 52 (I'm 54!) you will certainly notice the difference between stock, Nirvana and Nirvana Plus.  Until his passing at 86 recently, a neighbour and good friend could pick these differences with ease.  There appears to be a consensus at Audio Circle now after a year of so of the 100W N+, and subjectively I'd place the stocker at 7/10, the Nirvana at 8/10, and the Nirvana Plus at 9.2/10, with some suggesting even more for the N+.  The downside is that the N+ uses Black Gate capacitors, which take many hours - up to 150 - to break in, and during this time some there are some quite strange sounds, taxing your patience considerably.

One of the biggest issues of all in reproduced music is the notion of intermodulation distortion;  the muddle which results with very busy, often orchestral music, when the going gets rough.  If you listen at high volume to classical music, and your speakers actually seem of average efficiency, around 88dB/W/m (this assumes 1W, not 8W!), then yes, the 100W is for you.  One of the benefits of the larger power is that dynamics are extended, and the sense of ease and spaciousness is much enhanced.  These 'improvements' come with almost imperceptible loss of detail because of the doubled output stage and beefier drive circuitry, but in practice, you do not notice it because the scale of the sound, the increased headroom and absence of intermodulation effects are deeply impressive.  It took about 5 months to achieve the N+ for the 100W AKSA;  it was a constant, tiresome round of component selection and dimensioning which almost wore me out, but finally I pushed on within spitting distance of the 55N+ and was most relieved, I can tell you.  And while it may seem expensive at first sight, on listening, particularly over an extended period, you soon realize it's one of the best sounds you've ever heard.

All the AKSA amps (at this stage!) are Class AB, and the 100W quiescent is just 58mA, giving a power consumption at idle of 25W for both channels, low enough to leave it on pretty much permanently.

I hope this is helpful, and my thanks to Peter, Carl and Mal for their kind comments.  Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

Which AKSA?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:23 am »
what level of mods have you done to the DI/O?

this will be a constraint point if it is still stock... mine stayed stock for a good 6 months while I concentrated on other things and the difference was huge compared to the difference in the move from 100 to 100n AKSA (which was not small!)

I've got the 100n, have heard plenty of 55's n, n+ and stock and the sound definitely improved moving to 'n' from stock... retrospectively I feel the 55 (and variants) would have met 99% of my needs, but having the 100 means I can annoy the neighbours more when I listen to music from the opposite end of the house occasionally ;-)

Seano

Which AKSA?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2005, 03:50 am »
Brian
I'd go with the others and stump up the cash for the 100. It's what I have for starters!! If you are into classical music played at a volume high enough to drown out conversation then go the tonner - it'll last longer too I'd wager given that sort of treatment.

As for the standard over N over N+.....well I started with the N. And even I heard the difference between the N and the N+ despite my difficulties with some frequencies due to a combination of tinnitus and mild industrial deafness. The N+ just sounds a bit better. Better bass quality and a bit more detail and nuance.

BUT

The N version sounds extremely fine. Extremely. No worries. I'm fairly sure for that matter that so does the standard version. In all truth what you don't know you won't miss so if you stick with the standard and never hear an N+ you'll be fine.

If you aren't convinced then I suggest you start with the standard version. If you get the itch to do better then jump straight to the N+ cause if you go for the N and THEN decide to upgrade, most of the N bits will end up in a drawer.

Occam

Which AKSA?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2005, 04:37 am »
Hey Brian,

What is the attraction of the early elderly for the AKSAs? I'm 53  :? All I can say is that hearing a bog stock 55 caused me to immediately ditch what I had heretofore thought a superb amp. Each upgrade of my 100, to Nirvana, and then the N+, has been amply rewarded. Same for my 55 N+, but she is currently dishable(sp?) awaiting batteries (there is no end to the madness).
While our hearing extention might have waned with our testosterone level, I don't think our ability to percieve distortions has been similarly compromised. But certainly, few of our 'wisdom' prefer the Spectral/MIT style of audio. Our preference might be based on the realization that resolution, dynamics and texture doesn't require ice picks driven into our ears.
I don't know your speakers, and while the sensitivity is impressive if real, the impedance dip would indicate a 100.
I still use my minimally modified DI/O (coupling and decoupling caps, LT1362, and an ATARI 3.4amp 9VAC table wart. Works for me. And I will address it after I've finished my Quixotic quest to tame the bounding mains.....

Welcome aboard,
Paul

jules

Which AKSA?
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2005, 05:17 am »
Hi Brian and welcome,

I reckon you buy an Aksa if you want to listen to music. If you want to impress your friends with the size of your ..... , you buy something more imposing. The best quality of the Aksa, that it involves you in music, is also the most subjective.

If you've been using a 100W amp and needing a fair amount of its power to give you the right listening levels then 100 seems to be the way to go. On the other hand if your speakers really are 96Db/1W/!metre then 55 would seem more than adequate unless you happen to be archbishop Brian .....

jules

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Which AKSA?
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2005, 07:45 am »
Hello Brian :
    beer vouchers
    Caught my attention.... :beer: ...welcome!! :) [/list:u]
      I thought I'd throw my two cents in....>you know< ...."your not getting any younger" (and neither am I), but for you I see an AKSA 100N+ in your future 8) .The added enjoyment in both the sound and power department (you can never have too much power...IMO) are well worth the extra $$$. With that purchase you'd be set for life :hyper: . I've heard and own many amps...sort of a collection, but I'd have to say the AKSA is one of my favorites. I was lucky enough to have someone (Carlman) build it for me...I could not. And if your a builder, there's so much you can do to it both case wise and parts wise. Make it your own "special amp" !!! Take a look at the AKSA Tour comments and the AKSA gallery....it a great buy and a pleasure to listen to.  :D [/list:u]
        Best of luck to you !!!![/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

bearddavid

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2005, 10:50 am »
    Hi Brian,

firstly this thread has me worried, I'm "only" 45 and I absolutely adore my 100N+ ---- does this mean that senile dementia is setting in slightly prematurely ???

on a slightly more serious note - dig deep and buy the 100N+  

I completed mine about a month back and now that it has pretty much run in it matches or beats with commercial kit at well over twice it's cost and, I think, represents one of the best sound / $ (or whatever) purchases available in audio.

Add to that the "I made this" pride of ownership and you can't go wrong, I have to admit I haven't listened to the stock 100 or the N or the 55 - I'm simply judging the most expensive of the AKSA power amps as truly fantastic value for money.

Go for it Brian - you won't regret it!

cheers

David.

rabbitz

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:29 pm »
    I'm using the 55N+ and was convinced by Hugh to do the N+ upgrade. How right he was but there were a few times I was reaching for the soldering iron while the Black Gates were burning in but Hugh said stick with it.... glad I did and was a pain but well worth it in the end. The finest amp I've ever heard and they don't have an easy load with my speakers having an SPL of 88dB and impedance down to 3.2 ohm, but the AKSA just takes it in it's stride and does something most amps do not do.... sounds the same at all volumes. I've never heard the 100N+ and can only imagine but the 55N+ does it nicely for me. Maybe Hugh will get a 100N+ to do an Aussie tour one day.  :wink:

If anyone has read a bad word about the AKSA, please post a link as I have never seen one.

The N+ upgrade is worth it but you can always do it in steps which is one of the beauties of the AKSA. Build the stock and then go for the upgrades, but IMO, you are better going to the N+ for sure and skip the N.

Being born in the year of the "Hugh", the hearing might not have the frequency range it used to, but we hear and listen better. I notice more detail and differences now than ever before. Join the old farts club and get and AKSA and leave the tshhhh, oomf, oomf, boom for most of the young whipper snappers.  :mrgreen:

Hugh, I used to call this amp an ASKA (you must have been peeved with my emails) until a couple of weeks ago when I corrected my evil ways.... my punishment is to say "AKSA" 100 times a day.... it's starting to sink in.  :D

AKSA

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:39 pm »
    Peter,

Every time I read your posts I almost choke on my latte.......  Very, very funny, in an archetype Aussie way, thank you very much for this light but constructive banter, love it....... :lol:

AKSA, ASKA, doesn't matter to me;  I reply to almost any name on a street corner!!

You know, it's really interesting, the AKSA has just been through some very heavy criticism on aus.hifi, a newsgroup around Sydney, for being 'grossly overhyped and outrageously expensive'.  I chuckled a bit over that because I'm now so committed to the amp and my customers that I feel perfectly secure about the product, the price and the service, and I know that the guy in question has never even heard one!!  Incredible, but sadly quite common to see this behaviour in Australia........ :(

Cheers,

Hugh

DSK

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2005, 12:37 am »
    Quote from: AKSA
    You know, it's really interesting, the AKSA has just been through some very heavy criticism on aus.hifi, a newsgroup around Sydney, for being 'grossly overhyped and outrageously expensive'.  I chuckled a bit over that because I'm now so committed to the amp and my customers that I feel perfectly secure about the product, the price and the service, and I know that the guy in question has never even heard one!! Incredible, but sadly quite common to see this behaviour in Australia........  ...

Ah yes ....Trevor Wilson from Rage Audio. He seems to bash AKSA (And other gear) every time anyone mentions it, with uselessly brief and unsubstantiated comments like ...
    **Nonsense. They're con-jobs. Silicon Chip designed a better kit amp, at a vastly lower price.

I only took  a quick look around on that forum (though longer than Trevor has apparently spent listening to an AKSA) and it seems to me that he is one of those guys who believes he knows the sound of an amp from its topology alone ...no need to listen to it. Well, good luck to him. He is perfectly entitled to have an opinion, unfounded and unresearched or otherwise. Unfortunately, the shortness and bluntness of his posts paints him as a self-proclaimed guru that believes all of his 'opinions' are 'facts' and that anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot. That's fine too. I only hope his closed mindedness doesn't mislead newbies and divert them from avenues that they may have found very worthwhile.

I am so embarrassed that the AKSA forum is full of so many delighted owners that have carefully auditioned the AKSA gear and used it to replace well acclaimed and substantially more expensive equipment, when Trevor didn't even need to audition it to know that it was crap  :oops:

soitstarts

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2005, 12:42 am »
    Quote from: AKSA
    Peter,

You know, it's really interesting, the AKSA has just been through some very heavy criticism on aus.hifi, a newsgroup around Sydney, for being 'grossly overhyped and outrageously expensive'.  I chuckled a bit over that bec ...

Okay now.... Who went and showed them the schematic?? :roll:  :nono:

Greg Erskine

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2005, 06:45 am »
    Quote from: soitstarts
    Okay now.... Who went and showed them the schematic?? :roll:  :nono:

I have followed aus.hi-fi for years, and I believe Trevor may have heard an AKSA, which one I don't know. Initially he thought the Silicon Chip ULD amp was slightly better but over the years the story has changed dramatically.

Trevor is entitled to his opinion, but I believe the fact that he has built and I believe, sold assembeld SC amps in the past may have significant influence on what he has to say.

The amps recommended by Trevor have a very very low profile. I can't actually remember a thread other than Trevor's. If they were that much better than AKSAs then I'm sure we'd all hear about them.

BTW: If anyone thinks of posting on aus.hi-fi please be aware they are not the gentlemen we are used to here. Rational discussions are rare and most threads degenerate into filthly slanging matches.

AKSA

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:00 am »
    Thanks Greg,

I read through the whole thread, and was shocked at how personal some of the participants seem to be;  vindictive, childish, and unrestrained.     :roll:   I thought then that it would be a complete waste of time going in and saying my piece, and I have to thank you sincerely for taking such a gladiatorial stance.   :thankyou:

I appreciate the angst these conflicts generate, and Trevor is certainly not one to trifle with;  he clearly has too much time on his hands!

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:38 am »
    Quote from: Greg Erskine
    I have followed aus.hi-fi for years, and I believe ...
    Can you tell me how to find "aus.hifi" ... I Googled it but couldn't seem to find the actual Forum/Newsletter.

I'd just like to see how "the other half" behaves!   :lol:

Thanks,

Andy

Greg Erskine

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:47 am »

andyr

Which AKSA?
    « Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2005, 08:01 am »
    Quote from: Greg Erskine
    aus.hi-fi
    Thanks, Greg, but typing in:
    * www.aus.hifi
    * www.aus.hi-fi.com.au and
    * aus.hi-fi

into my browser all came up with the "We can't find ..." message.

I'm sure there's many more combinations I could try but can you give me the explicit access instructions?

Thanks,

Andy