Can I get a Test CD?

cfraser

Can I get a Test CD?
« on: 4 Jun 2005, 07:16 pm »
Have had my Titan II LE for a few years. Also have the analog RS SPL meter and tripod. Was interested to find out there's a test/setup CD, didn't know about that. Is it possible for me to still get this CD? Thanks.

Another thing I'm curious about: Titan XO setup with Maggie 1.6, what seems to be the favorite XO freq for people with this combo. I have my Titan in a corner (well, 1' from the corner, but at the back wall) behind the Maggies. Everytime I set up by ear, with my eyes closed when I adjust the sub controls, I end up with the exact same XO/level/phase settings. I'm following the manual instructions, so either that's right allowing for my taste, or I'm doing it all wrong and listening for the wrong things and keep coming up with the same wrong answer.

It is pretty funny, but I can make the whole main level of the house vibrate/shake with the Titan, something like 40Hz and the house goes crazy, definitely some kind of resonance there. It was handy to find out which household fixtures needed tightening down. Anyway, I normally use the Titan so subtly you don't know it's there, except when you take it out.

DTB300

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2005, 09:12 pm »
Here is the best CD for testing the Lower Frequencies that I have found.  One thing that may be a problem for some is they are MP3's

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

cfraser

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:00 pm »
Thanks. That CD you linked to addresses the main problem I have with other test CD's, and that's too coarse a range of tones in the bass. My Neutrik test gadget is similar in that it uses "standard" 1/3 octave tones. I made my own test CD that goes in 5Hz increments from 5-100Hz, then gets coarser. I was presuming that the ACI CD might be more suitable, since it was designed for the purpose I want, but I really don't know what's on it. Yeah, being an MP3 is a small problem for me as my best audio players don't handle that format.. I have some players that do, but I don't know if I "trust" them to do well in the LF for their audio output, they are just not built for that and lousy bass is always the main complaint of this type...I would prefer to calibrate using a decent DAC.

ooheadsoo

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:06 pm »
It should be simple enough to burn the mp3s to cd.  If you have Nero, it will do it with no fuss.

DTB300

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:15 pm »
Quote from: cfraser
Thanks. That CD you linked to addresses the main problem I have with other test CD's, and that's too coarse a range of tones in the bass.

It is in 1 Hz increments...I have not see a test CD get finer than that as most are 1/3 octave.

And yes you can convert to regular CD if your stereo player does not play MP3's.  Most use Laptops for testing, so MP3's are not a problem.

cfraser

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:24 pm »
Thanks. I don't have a laptop...wah! Though really, I wonder how good the laptop sound cards are for the LF's? Any thoughts?

And I don't have Nero, least on my new PC. I see it's not shareware anymore.

I can do something I think, have some burning progs that came with the PC, seem like crap to me and real annoying to use, but they do burn. Maybe the Windows mediaplayer one will work??

You can tell I'm not a big burner...I have 2 DVD burners and have only burnt 1 DVD in my life, and that was for somebody else.

Fact is, I'm pretty damn lazy...

ooheadsoo

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:28 pm »
Matter of fact, windows media player might be able to do it itself - at least v9 might be able to.

cfraser

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:32 pm »
DTB300: Yes, I noticed the 1Hz increments, that's what I meant when I said it addresses the problem of most other test discs and was even better than the one I made (hard to believe, I know). Anyway, I'm downloading it by donkey cart as we speak, and will dust off the SPL meter.

Yeah, looks like MP 9 does do it, least it says it's doing it, not too painful.

This should be fun to do, looks like it might take a while.

cfraser

So now what do I do?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2005, 05:54 pm »
I have my first set of measurements. Like in the Realtraps graph, I got a 30dB difference at one point, between 145 and 160Hz, a real "anti-resonance"...that was the worst, but a few other bad ones. Like they say, that huge dropout is only over a very small range that never showed up nearly as bad on my other instrument tests. Got a wider dropout gap in the 40-55Hz range that is much more worrisome, ought to be able to fix that somewhat with the sub (I think).

What do you guys do? I have the sub set for 35Hz XO, and the sub has to stay where it is, really no other place. Trial and error? I realise there will be some room effects that traps should fix, but is there a way I can test how they'll work out before I start buying stuff? Thanks.

Oh yeah, adjusting the phase...I'm fuzzy on what to do with that. I have it set for max output at "some" frequency (forget what, was a long time ago). Any suggestions? Like, if I have that 40-55 range that has low output, would it be reasonable to set the phase for max output in that range? Or is this something where the solution is "counter-intuitive"?

Mike Dzurko

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2005, 11:20 am »
Since you own one of our subs, you can get the test CD free! Simply call the office :608-784-4570 to supply mailing address or send it to:
service@audioc.com

Have a great day!

cfraser

Can I get a Test CD?
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2005, 02:42 am »
Thanks Mike!