getting an upgraded clari-T...thinking of caps

maxwalrath

getting an upgraded clari-T...thinking of caps
« on: 4 Jun 2005, 06:31 pm »
Everyone is getting the Auricap option these days and reporting good results. I was wondering about the oil V-Caps. They aren't too much more money than Auricaps, so I'm just looking for the one with the best sonics.

I'm really curious about the teflon ones, but that would cost more than the amp to begin with.

Do any of you have any experience with V-Caps or any words of wisdom?

MttBsh

Auricaps vc VCaps
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2005, 07:25 pm »
I've read many posts that seem to favor the V Cap OIMPs over the Auricaps, such as this one from the Audio Assylum:

"I had some Auricaps in the coupling position associated with the 12AU7 output tubes in my Mantissa linestage, and recently replaced them with the V-Cap OIMPs...Based on that initial listening I'd say the OIMPs are clearly superior (in my system). They provided much more detail and 'texture' to come through, but did not seem analytical or forward. On the contrary, music was really 'swinging' with the OIMPs as there was a better sense of attack and decay. Bass response seemed better and more authoritative as well...  in my limited experience I'd say you'd be far ahead replacing your Auricaps with the OIMPs"

Still, I trust Vinnie's ears and if he believes the Auricaps are the better fit with the Clari-T, then that's the right answer.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Auricaps vc VCaps
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2005, 08:20 pm »
Quote from: MttBsh
Still, I trust Vinnie's ears and if he believes the Auricaps are the better fit with the Clari-T, then that's the right answer....

I never tried the V-Cap, so I cannot say what is better.  For the price, I know the Auricaps work very well with the Clari-T (they have very good synergy), but this is not to say that there is no better cap.