Choices, choices, choices!!

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« on: 3 Jun 2005, 01:19 am »
Hoping you guys can help me make a decision here.

My current system comprises of -

Cal Delta transport
Ack Dack 2.0
Tripath evaluation board (similar to the plain old Sonic impact)
Omega 3r alcino's (89db efficiency)

I will upgrade the transport (probably an Onix modded for transport only by underwood) soon but am looking at a new amp first. I'm not too worried about the extra power that the Teac would give me as the evaluation board gives me enough volume in my small room.

Choice 1
Red Wine modded Teac - cheapest choice as I already have a Teac.

Choice 2
Clari-T with all upgrades, caps, RCA's etc

Choice 3
Dual-mono Clari-T with all upgrades

Each choice gets more expensive, but i'm wondering where the law of diminishing returns sets in.

Any wonderful insights from current owners would be appreciated.

barkerpj

Dual-Mono
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2005, 06:21 pm »
Finally made my choice to go for the all out dual-mono. I'm hoping it sounds as good as i think it will after it's broken in.

Verne M.

I've done the same
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2005, 06:26 pm »
I've got an upgraded Puri-T and custom dual-mono amp being built right now.

It'll be fun to compare notes once we get 'em!  Can't wait!

Verne

ndpjr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2005, 07:16 pm »
Verne & Barkerpj,

How are you getting your custom dual mono's configured? I have a Red Wine custom dual mono also and really love it. Congratulations to both of you.

Novel

barkerpj

Dual mono
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2005, 11:44 pm »
I think I've got all the upgrades apart from the DH Labs wire

WBT RCA's
Eichmann binding posts
Blackgate power supply decoupling caps
Auricap input coupling caps

Can't wait to get it and break it in. I hear that the Blackgates can take a very long time to break in - should be fun listening to the changes.

let me know if 've missed any!!!

ndpjr

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2005, 12:07 am »
Barkerpj,

Does'nt look like you missed anything. I had an attenuator put on mine, a DACT CT2 since I did not want to run a preamp. You'll be happy with the Auricaps. Before I had the Auricaps installed you would get an occasional high that really woke you up. It's just that the amp was delivering what the source was providing, but the Auricaps take just enough off to make it a real pleasure to listen to and also made a noticeable improvement in the bass. It will get better the more you play it. I never did listen to vocals very much until I got a Clari-T and have bought more vocals now than I ever have. The vocals are really something with the Clari-T and if you just enjoy the detail of the music you are going to be very pleased with the dual mono. Keep us posted on your impressions after you get it and as they burn-in.

Verne M.

my upgrades
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2005, 01:50 am »
I got the Auricaps, Blackgates, and upgraded RCA and binding posts, though I didn't go for the Eichmans.  I did go for the silver internal wire and the 24 hour batteries.

I'm really looking forward to the Puri-T and the Mono-T-ony (for lack of a better name  :lol: ) break-in should be interesting, indeed!

ndpjr

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2005, 06:08 pm »
Verne,

You're dual mono sounds like it's going to be really nice. The Clari-t's are really fast, detailed and clear. It's going to be fun to read your's and Barkerpj's posts when you receive your amps and after they burn-in more. I've really enjoyed my dual mono so much that I am waiting on some pricing from Vinnie to upgrade my stock Clari-T also. Looking forward to your future posts.

barkerpj

Dual mono
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2005, 08:36 pm »
Haven't quite got to 100 hours yet but the amp is sounding amazing. Looks like the blackgates and auricaps are breaking in nicely.

I'll try to post my final impressions as soon as its properly broken in.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2005, 10:34 pm »
barkerpj,

Your setup and mine are alot alike (stock Sony S7700, Ack dAck! v.2, stock Clari-T, MLTL floorstanding speakers with Fostex F200A drivers).  A friend here with my same speakers upgraded to the dual mono Clari-T and is glad he did.  

Did you ever try the Teac with the F120A Omegas?  In my 11x19 living room the amount of bass and dynamics it provided blew me away (my speakers are rated in room flat to 30 Hz).  Compared to the Teac the Clari-T sounded anemic and the Clari-T made any other 10 wpc or less amp sound anemic.  Not that I had any real compliants regarding the Clari-T, but in the back of my mind felt (and knew what the numbers were telling me) that it was really pushing to use it my speakers.  Five minutes was enough to convince to give Vinnie a chance to mod it and probably sell the Clari-T.  The only probably to it is Dan's glowing reports of the B200 with the Clari-T.

The stock Sony cost me only $225 slightly used.  My next serious investment will be an audio PC, rather than dump $1000+ into another transport or modding this one.

MttBsh

Another vote for the dual mono
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2005, 02:00 am »
I went from a stock Clari-T to a dual mono with all the options, including the Dact attenuator. It greatly improves on all of the strengths of the stock amp. I've got over 200 hours on it now and music is magical. Deep, rich, huge soundstage, and so smoooooooooth. It isn't so much an upgrade as a whole new dimension of sound, and it is still improving. You'll love it!

Matt

Verne M.

My dual mono
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2005, 02:42 am »
My dual-mono and Dact attenuator pre are breaking in nicely.  Incredible detail, dynamic and quiet...no more tube hiss from my Lowthers.   I probably only have about 80 hours on it so far.  I like what I'm hearing...

maxwalrath

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2005, 03:29 am »
I have a second hand dual mono with almost all the options on the way.

No volume control

Blackgates

Upgraded connectors (not WBT or Eichmann, just normal upgraded ones)

Input coupling caps hopefully upgraded to Sonicaps (Vinnie is trying them out now). If they don't work then Auricaps.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2005, 03:41 am »
Quote from: JLM
Compared to the Teac the Clari-T sounded anemic and the Clari-T made any other 10 wpc or less amp sound anemic...

Hi JLM,

The Auricap input coupling cap upgrade takes care of this.  Not only is the Auricap a higher quality cap, it is a larger value cap, which allows for improved bass response.  The midrange also gains more body to it, and the highs become more refined.  This is one tweak that I HIGHLY recommend!  8)

Regards,

Jon L

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2005, 05:42 am »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Quote from: JLM
Compared to the Teac the Clari-T sounded anemic and the Clari-T made any other 10 wpc or less amp sound anemic...

Hi JLM,

The Auricap input coupling cap upgrade takes care of this.  Not only is the Auricap a higher quality cap, it is a larger value cap, which allows for improved bass response.  The midrange also gains more body to it, and the highs become more refined.  This is one tweak that I HIGHLY recommend!  8)

Regards,

Input coupling caps make that much difference for Clari-T?  I've got some Auricaps lying around here.  Are you using 0.22uF?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2005, 12:10 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Input coupling caps make that much difference for Clari-T? I've got some Auricaps lying around here. Are you using 0.22uF?...

Hi Jon L,

0.22uF is too small (will roll off the bass).  I'm using 2.2uF...