lab-grade power supply in lieu of batteries?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jun 2005, 09:33 pm »
I own a Clari-T and love it.  And I've never had a problem with AC.  But, I've heard grungy AC.  So IMO the problems with AC are primarily local issues that can vary by day of the week and hour of the day (if you live next to a factory for instance or are served by an old electrical generation/distribution system).

Bottom line, if you only need 6 - 30 wpc and can live with 5 - 10 hours between 1 hour charges, Vinnie has got you covered for very cheap.  (No tubes to replace, no power conditioners/cords to buy, and way cheaper than almost any comparable tube or solid state amp.)  My experience is that most serious listeners don't need nearly as much power as they think, and most here will agree that these battery/digital watts seem "big".

Dmason

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2005, 09:40 pm »
I think a distinction needs to be made here, that for Tripath chip, digitally controlled analogue switching amplifiers, battery powering, comparatively, wins out, according to a growing list of people who know the sonic differences. Tripath amps, SOUND differently, better, when DC power by way of batteries.

If I still owned a tube amp, yes, I would be using AC power.