Auricap mod on Clari-T

ndpjr

Auricap mod on Clari-T
« on: 29 May 2005, 01:58 am »
I was waiting to write this after I had put some more time on the modification Vinnie did to my dual mono Clari-T, but it made such a change I could'nt wait. I just received it back Friday 05-27-05 after having Auricaps installed in it. Previous to their install, on occasions the high notes would really have an ear penetrating effect. After the Auricaps were installed the highs are great as before but do not have that "wake you up" effect they "occasionally" had before. There is also a noticeable increase in the bass. On bass passages before that I only heard I now feel them more. The Auricaps seem to give the Clari-T a more tubelike sound and still maintains all the speed, detail and clarity it is noted for. I think it would be a modification that would be worthwhile to inquire Vinnie about as he has installed them in his Clari-T and has more time on them than I do on my unit. I'm not able to elaborate on the sound of amps as well as some are able to do on this forum but I'll report later in the best terms I can as the Auricaps burn-in more. This is a modification I'm very happy with and pleasantly surprised by it's effects. I plan on sending my stock Clari-T in for the Auricaps also. My source is a Jolida JD100A Level-1 mod CDP and speakers are Brines FT1600 MKII's.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Auricap mod on Clari-T
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2005, 05:46 pm »
Quote from: ndpjr
After the Auricaps were installed the highs are great as before but do not have that "wake you up" effect they "occasionally" had before. There is also a noticeable increase in the bass. On bass passages before that I only heard I now feel them more. The Auricaps seem to give the Clari-T a more tubelike sound and still maintains all the speed, detail and clarity it is noted for. I think it would be a modification that would be worthwhile to inquire Vinnie about as he has installed them in his Clari-T and has more time on them than I do on my unit. ..

Hi Novel,

Thanks for posting your initial impressions of the Auricap modification!
Together with the Black Gate power supply caps, the sound is taken to a whole new level and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Your "full-throttle" custom dual-mono amp really amazes me.  One of these days, I need to clone one for myself  :lol:  

Please keep up posted after you rack up the hours on it  :)

Thanks again,

Jon L

Auricap mod on Clari-T
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2005, 10:43 pm »
Vinnie, have you played around with the new VH Audio Oil caps?  Could be VERY nice instead of Auricaps for class T amps..

Dmason

Auricap mod on Clari-T
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2005, 12:07 am »
I was thinking the same thing re: Mundorf oil n paper caps. I once stuffed these into my Cary SuperAmp and wheeeew!! What a diff. With the high rez nature of the ClariT, I would think the sweetness factor would only be amplified!!!!

GHM

Auricap mod on Clari-T
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2005, 12:33 am »
Quote from: Dmason
I was thinking the same thing re: Mundorf oil n paper caps. I once stuffed these into my Cary SuperAmp and wheeeew!! What a diff. With the high rez nature of the ClariT, I would think the sweetness factor would only be amplified!!!!

I'm thinking the same thing! I'm hoping my custom T amp with NOS Leclanche' paper and oil DC coupling caps will add more sweetness and naturalness to the sound.

Dmason

Auricap mod on Clari-T
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2005, 12:40 am »
It is very possible, considering the somewhat tube-like character of a full-blown ClariT, combined with the outrageous Clari-T of sound, that the fu fu paper n' oil bon bon caps like LeCleche, Mundorf, could actually be the holy grail of coupling caps, making an even "huger" difference.

I dream of little pigtails, where one could roll coupling caps in their ClariT,  :o like I used to do with Meshplates, and 12-series pre amp tubes, instead plugging in their favorite little firecrackers, to suit the material, or the mood. Hmmmmmm. There is a new thought.