Finally - I have my ACI 7 channel system setup

bclasen

« on: 27 May 2005, 05:45 pm »
A little over a year ago, I decided to build a home  theater in my basement and since I was a fan of ACI, I decided to equip the room with some of their multi-channel offerings. Knowing I wasn't in a hurry, I decided to wait until I needed the equipment, this room was completely demolished and alot of work went into sound proofing, treatments, etc.

Well last summer the project got sidetracked as I re-built a bathroom, but speaking of water, ACI's flood sale got my attention. So I bought:

2 ACI Front Protoges
1 Protoge Center
2 Emerald On-Wall Surrounds
2 Encore Rears
1 Force Sub

I tucked those away, thinking it would be another couple of months. Well I am now just finishing off the HT so I bought a bunch of new equipment and started hooking up the ACI system. Here's my system:

Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro
Outlaw 7100 7 Channel Amp (100 watts per channel - don't need more)
Panasonic AE-700 Projector
Carada 100" Screen
Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD/CD player (legacy)

This is my first foray into multi-channel, it's a learning experience. Right now I'm try to decide between different CD listening options (the 990 also has a phono input, so I'll be trying that as well). There's Stereo, 5-Channel Stereo, Bypass, Unsampled, plus a bunch of other ones. I'll start doing the same playing when I watch my first DVD (tonight), should be exciting.

So at first I was less than thrilled with the experience. No complaints really, as I couldn't hook up the sub easily and hadn't done any tweaking. I got the sub finally hooked up a couple of nights ago and that, along with some pre/pro tweaks really did the trick. The system sounds fantastic - a big thank you to ACI for helping make the HT experience that much better.

Bob

Eric

« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 08:20 pm »
Bob,

Thanks for the post. Please continue to let us know how you like your system!

bclasen

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 08:50 pm »
As this is my first foray into multi-channel, I asked Mike some quesions about setup. He asked that I post these questions here so all participate. Here's what I asked him:

1. For the front line-up, would your recommend that the center be on the same plane as the fronts?

2. Do you recommend that the fronts be toed in at all?

3. According to my new pre/pro, all the speakers are set to 100 mz as a cross over. Do you recommend something lower (say around 80)?

4. Cross over for the sub?

5. Is there a simple explanation to what is small/large to a pre/pro? So far, all speakers are set to small. Not sure what that means.

6. Any other suggestions?

Thanks all!
Bob

DanaA

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 11:16 pm »
I don't have your speakers, but I'll give your questions a stab (others feel free to chime in and correct me if you disagree - no hard feelings):

1. For the front line-up, would your recommend that the center be on the same plane as the fronts?

I think it's ideal if tweeter height is aligned.  However, this isn't always practical.  So what I, and quite a few others do, is the second best thing.  Have your front speakers firing ahead and aim your subs tweeter so that the sound hits about the same spot in your listening position.  For instance, my Essence center speaker is on top of my TV (with added support) and its tweeter is about a foot and a half above the front speaker tweeters.  I have it tilted downward via those rubber door stops that you can find in any hardware store so that it's aimed directed at ear height from the spot I listen in.  

2. Do you recommend that the fronts be toed in at all?

I found the sound with my Sapphires to greatly benefit from this.  Experiment.  Have someone reposition them as you sit in the listening spot.

3. According to my new pre/pro, all the speakers are set to 100 mz as a cross over. Do you recommend something lower (say around 80)?

ACI says your Protoges go down to 75 Hz.  So, I'd say 100 is about right.  Personally, I think 80 would be too low, but, again, experiment.

4. Cross over for the sub?
Not sure of the specific settings on the ACI sub you got, but there's probably a way to set them so the crossover is handled by your Outlaw.

5. Is there a simple explanation to what is small/large to a pre/pro? So far, all speakers are set to small. Not sure what that means.

Probably best to keep them set to small.  Not sure about the Outlaws, but, when using a sub, most set their speakers this way.

By the way, congratulations and I'm thinking you'll love your new speaker system.  It sounds to me like you've got a fine system going there.

DanaA

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2005, 11:21 pm »
Oh, I did think of a couple of more things.

1.  Also experiment with the distance you separate the front speakers from each other.  I found this greatly impacted the sound of my Sapphires.

2.  Really try to have someone positioning the on-walls while you're in your listening position (both how far forward/back they are to your listening position and how high).  It made a huge difference when I did this.

All this leg work in the beginning will pay very nice dividends over the long run.

enjoy, enjoy, and, finally, enjoy!!!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2005, 06:16 pm »
Bob:

Dana gave you great advice. I'd just add a couple of things:

Definitely set processor to small. In most situations, the 80Hz crossover is ideal as it cascades with the Protege's own rolloff to create a very smooth transition.
Toe-in is most easily set by using some stereo two-channel music without the center or the surrounds engaged. Use a recording that has a solo vocalist placed in the center. Toe-in until that center image is a full and 3D as possible without losing the soundstage that expands laterally. This is something I play with quite a bit in setup, it is somewhat dependent on recordings so I try to find that happy medium.
Subwoofer crossovers are usually best set at the same frequency as the processor or just slightly above. So if using an 80Hz setting on the processor, try 80 on the sub or slightly above.
The real key in setup is to just change one variable at a time until you get a feel for how the sound changes. Measurement tools can help a lot. The free ACI subwoofer setup disc combined with an inexpensive RS meter is a great educational and setup tool and fun besides! There's the key . . . fun :)

Harry P

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2005, 01:32 am »
Bob, I've got your fronts and a pair of stacked Force. I have auditioned some incredible and extrmely expensive 5.1 and 7.1  systems and mine is better than all but the very best.  It is all in the details. Take you time with every parameter, it will be the difference between really good and incredible. The speakers have the ability, you just have to do the setup.  From what I've found, smalls for sure, 80Hz is just perfect, the Force may end up being set lower, phase on the sub makes quite a bit of difference, tune it for max output at your crossover frequency. With that 100" screen I'd put the Prot Vs just a bit to the outside, far enough to be out of line of site, the center I'd put under and tilt up toward your listening position.