Gravity Well Of A DarkStar

dummy

Re: Gravity Well Of A DarkStar
« Reply #1400 on: 29 Sep 2011, 06:35 am »
Richard.. wow, nice baffle!!   

Mine is a bit taller than yours, but overall they don't deviate much.    I trust what works for you should work for me too.   

I have immediately placed order for my Eminence Alpha.   As soon as they come in, i'll pop a 15" hole in my baffle and on my way to better music.    Can't wait - smile.

BTW, any info on your crossover, if you don't mind me asking?

Best regards,

-Richard-

« Reply #1401 on: 29 Sep 2011, 08:36 am »
Hi CK ~

Thank you for your very kind words.

I went through quite a few simple coiled inductors before taking a break and leaving it alone... so I am not certain where the cross-over point is anymore... here is how the information on the coil reads: C- Coil  L-4,70 mH  /  Index TZA 4.7/1.6/50  /  Rdc - 0,072 Ohm

I will call Parts Express tomorrow to check with someone there about how those values reflect the Eminence Alpha 15A's spec's.

Or perhaps a poster in the audiocircle OB community with a good working knowledge of how those values cross-over the Alpha 15A can jump in and help us out by suggesting what the cross-over point actually is.

Sorry to sound so vague... the book I kept those records in is gone... and I can no longer rely on my memory.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard

-Richard-

« Reply #1402 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:38 pm »
Hi CK ~

Sorry to be getting back to you a bit late... I have some information about low-pass cross-over points using the Eminence Alpha 15A 15" driver with your 8" wide-range driver for a simple 2-way OB system.

The Alpha 15A's impedance is rated as 8 ohms. The current cross-over I am using (a simple cheap C-coil from Parts Express) is rated at 4.7 milli-henries (mH) = 325 Hz low-pass point. 6.8 mH = 180-190 Hz, 6 mH = 210-220 Hz.

You might want to purchase a few of these cheap simple coil inductors so you can try out different low pass cross-over points and see/hear which works best in your "set-up".

I hope that helps.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard

dummy

« Reply #1403 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:06 am »
Richard... you are SO helpful.   

Your info is excellent for me to establish a starting point.  i shall try some others to shoot for an optimum point for my hearing style. 

Again, you have been SO helpful.   

Best regards, CK

dummy

« Reply #1404 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:20 pm »
The Eminence Alpha arrived a week ago.   Past several days were spent on cutting the hole on the baffle for it, and wiring it up with a 4.7mH inductor,..etc.

Last night i pulled out a CD which i used to love a while back.  i played it often then and believed i knew every twist and turn, high note and low,..on this CD.    Boy, was i surprised.     i heard things that weren't there before.     The speaker(s) were unbelievable!!

I shall continue to tweak the setup to get better.   So, the search continues.

Thanks to this thread and everyone who contributed to it in the past, in particular Richard who was generous to share his setup with me.    Much appreciated.

Best regards, CK

Poultrygeist

« Reply #1405 on: 10 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm »
While running my 8 inch drivers in OB full tilt I use this low pass crossover to filter out frequencies above 80hz for my Alpha's. I think bi-amping with a tube amp for the main drivers and solid state for the bass Alpha's is the way to go.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=266-442