Gravity Well Of A DarkStar

nodiak

« Reply #100 on: 4 Jun 2005, 06:56 pm »
....also, it's common to add a "side" to the top (on the back). Being above the driver this extends that edge to allow deeper waves , just like the floor does.

....also also If you want to angle the baffle back (for any reason-looks, lower driver mounting, like the sound from down...) tapering the sides (ex. 3" at top to maybe 6-8' at bottom) works well. Isn't that how the Nobox is?

barfind

« Reply #101 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:18 pm »
Quote from: nodiak
Nigel, are you using the 12's at all now? Are the B200's getting down to 70hz at least? That's my current xo for sub.

Also on the general OB idea, adding 4" deep sides doesn't hurt the sound at all in my experience, for these larger baffles like mcgsxr is using maybe 6" even (maybe worth an experiment). The point is you can keep the same width as a flat baffle by bending it, as the edge is the same distance away. Too deep sides give them selves away with a detectable cavity resonance. Also one of mine us ...

Don, No the 12's are gone. The B200 does make real bass. I pulled one of my WO32's out and cross it at 80. Also I am using my PP amp which drives the bass better. At the moment totaly happyu with my system. As the driver breaks in bass shines :D

msgxsr. Thanks for showing the pics. The first few days with these drivers are an eye opener. ENJOY

Nigel

nodiak

« Reply #102 on: 4 Jun 2005, 11:01 pm »
Crap! Maybe I do need some B200's. How'm I gonna tell my son the surfing vacation is off?!

clairemontcat

« Reply #103 on: 5 Jun 2005, 12:23 am »
Nodiak,

No speaker is worth more than a surfing vacation with your son.  A surfing trip is something you and your son will remember the rest of your life.    Dude, has an audiophilic virus infected your brain?  

John   8)

ooheadsoo

« Reply #104 on: 5 Jun 2005, 01:35 am »
Any guesses at a minimum distance to corner apex for a corner mount situation?  Trying to get an idea of just how big a corner baffle would have to be.  I'm guessing that the close proximity of the edges of the baffle to the walls will provide adequate bass reinforcement.  However, if the back of the driver must be greater than 1 foot from the corner, it may be too large to be practical for my purposes.

Dmason

« Reply #105 on: 5 Jun 2005, 02:29 am »
:nono:  :nono:

Don

Nothing comes before surfing. Surfing First. Then audio.

nodiak

« Reply #106 on: 5 Jun 2005, 02:37 am »
the trips not for a couple weeks, maybe I can sell his new board, order the 200's, and by then get another charge card...crap! no time!...no wait...maybe...200's on current card..crap! it's for the trip...oh, man...maybe, um...crap!

Dmason

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jun 2005, 02:55 am »
:nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Visatons can be scheduled. Surfing cannot. Sell your SON'S board? Dont share that one here!

I have four pairs of B200 coming, so maybe you can live vicariously through that little factoid, until your trip is completed. I would prefer the surf trip. Then again, some of the best surfing on the West Coast is within a four mile radius of my Visaton open baffle rig. :lol: Making for great listening, after surfing.

powerbench

Surfing what the heck is that??
« Reply #108 on: 5 Jun 2005, 03:06 am »
I dont think there is anywhere close to surf in Canada so BUY speakers...he he...

nodiak

« Reply #109 on: 5 Jun 2005, 03:27 am »
uh oh...am I the only one joking here?  :?  Sorry if so.

Can you believe tho that my son enjoys surf trips to Oregon, where the water is even colder than here in Humboldt where 6/4 suits with hoods are the norm?! Brrr dude, very brrr. It's a cheap, very fun trip he and I took last year, with a side trip to Mt. Hood. He wants to do it again which is awesome. Also going to teach him to drive this summer. Should be exciting  :o  (Wonder if I'm still invited on the trip in 2 years when he gets his license ?)

Don-has priorities straight - not to worry, will just borrow the speaker money...jk

ooheadsoo

« Reply #110 on: 5 Jun 2005, 03:45 am »
I didn't think anyone would have the guts to sell this surfing story if it were real :P

nodiak

« Reply #111 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:10 am »
Maybe I can talk my son into heading south. We could visit Dmason and hear the B200's ! We could sell our wetsuits to cover the extra gas money ! Yes !
No wait...somethings wrong...

-Richard-

« Reply #112 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:18 am »
My B200's have arrived and they are really very nice looking...

You can see the fabrics warp and weave in the material of
the speaker cone which reinforces Dan's suggestion that
they are made from hemp...there is a paper like material that
sits in the drivers basket over the magnet where the voice coil
begins....a series of rings have been designed into it and it flexes...
I am thinking that it might help to dissipate and smooth out any sound
that is projected from the voice coil that does not reach the cone...
or more probably it somehow helps to absorb back wave frequencies
so they are not immediately projected back against the speakers cone...
just hypothesizing...

I will be working on a mdf panel that sits between 2 legs on either side...
a thick wooden dole will run horizontally through the legs and the back
of the panel which will allow me to tilt the panel in a number of possible
configurations...and then "lock" the panel into place...

Where is a good resource for large sheets of 1/4" cork? So far I have been
able to locate only very thin pieces.

The legs on either side of the mdf panel will also allow me to raise the panel
off the floor up to 12" or perhaps 18" and also lock that into place...I want
to see what effect....if any...that has on the bass...

This design will prevent wings being placed on the panel but that can
be addressed later...

I am very interested in the corner solution that JLM and Dan think might
work well with the B200's...especially since digital EQ is quite beyond my
skill level right now...and means purchasing and mastering yet another
appliance...hummmm!!!...perhaps the corner baffle will help mitigate some
of the peaky issues that have been suggested here...

Perhaps, Dan, as this thread continues to open up you might be kind
enough to go a bit more into the use of parallel resistors...a complete
mystery to me...

Thanks everyone for your feedback...deeply appreciated...great fun...
on the road to musical nirvana...

I'll have something built in a week or so...my world moves slowly...
busy as hell getting the Krishnamurti Summer Study Program off the ground.

Warm regards -Richard-

JoshK

« Reply #113 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:31 am »
Surfing in OR?  Where?  I love the OR coast but didn't know there was decent surf anywhere to be found.  Maybe the Gold Coast?   Anywho...reminds me of the time a buddy and I went to Long Beach in WA and body surfed for hours without wetsuits.  I was literally lavender-ish colored when I got out. Brrr...

San Onofre surfing is more my speed.

nodiak

« Reply #114 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:45 am »
Richard, here's a diagram of parts of a speaker.
http://www.bcae1.com/speaker.htm
Click on terms next to drawing for explanations. The "paper like material... that flexes" is the spider. These type drivers are often called moving coil drivers, maybe worth a google for more info if interested.
Reading Krishnamurti helped me find some perspective in my early 30's. Couldn't walk such a fine line myself, but glad he shared. Saw a tape of him recently on pbs.

Don

nodiak

« Reply #115 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:50 am »
Richard, I also have an article of a school he had built. Possibly it was in the Whole Earth Catalogue, still have it tho stored. They did a beautiful job, especially liked the roof shakes which were done in a wavey pattern iirc. Do you work there perhaps? Don

ooheadsoo

« Reply #116 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:59 am »
Richard, mcmaster.com has 1/2" cork.  Don't know if that will help.  If the driver only rises 1/4" off of the baffle, I probably wouldn't go for the 1/2".

nodiak

« Reply #117 on: 5 Jun 2005, 05:20 am »
JoshK, my son liked Cape Kiwanda the best, at pacific City. Small beach with easy access, 3-5 ft. waves. We camped nearby. There are some other spots friends have told us about we'll check this time.
I'm a casual beginner, never surfed any warmer than central coast (San Luis Obispo county). Never without a wetsuit of some kind.
San Onofre looks very nice.
Don

-Richard-

« Reply #118 on: 5 Jun 2005, 06:13 am »
Hi Nodiak,

Ahhh...so that is a spider...never saw one close up before...thanks for
the information...and the web link...

I think you are referring to the Oak Grove School here in Ojai which
is indeed a Krishnamurti school...he "built" one school in England and
5 schools in India as well...including Rishi Valley School in Andhra Pradesh which
is in southern India...the real India...which is still based on a matriarchal family organization...

Deb and I taught the third through the twelfth grade in Rishi Valley School for a year...
a life changing experience...a cobra lived outside our cottage and Deb, who loves
snakes and has no fear of them, would get  within a few feet of this magnificent
animal to "commune" with it...it would swim in a small pond and stay under water
for a long time...when it resurfaced it would breathe very hard ...all the while watching
us with its wizened and hypnotic eyes...as fascinated by us as we were by it....
snakes have only one lung...

Rishi Valley has no walls...the villages pass through the campus daily in their
only means of transportation...the wooden cart pulled by powerful white
bullocks...one stepped back 10,000 years here...before biblical times...

Rishi's live in Rishi Valley...India's bigfoot...giants that live in the mountains...

An anthropologist investigating the local folk lore of these ancient farmers once
asked "how old are these mountains?"...the reply..."four times older than the earth!"
That is as powerful as any zen koan (a paradoxical riddle) I have ever heard.

I am directing a Krishnamurti Summer Study Program for College Students
this summer...a total immersion into Ks teachings for 4 weeks structured on the
lines of a classic college curriculum...it took me a year to develop it...we have 4
students so far and the program runs from July 3 to July 31...

K changed my life...and his teachings continue to influence my awareness...

Thanks ooheadsoo for the information...I'll look into it very soon...
"...If the driver only rises 1/4" off of the baffle, I probably wouldn't go for the 1/2"..."
Does that imply using the cork on the front of the baffle? I was thinking about
using it on the back of the baffle for now...although I have been following with
interest the suggestion to use it on the front as well.

There are a great deal of ideas being presented here which are all really exciting...

Warm regards -Richard-

clairemontcat

« Reply #119 on: 5 Jun 2005, 06:21 am »
Don,  I didn't think you were serious but decided to jump in anyway.
I lived in humboldt and used to surf patricks point.  I also lived in Oregon and surfed seaside and short sands beach.  Cold water but great waves.   If you ever make it down to san diego I can show you around.  If you want real adventure head south to baja.  

John