Usher 6381 review

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Usher 6381 review
« on: 25 May 2005, 10:16 pm »
there is a review of the Usher 6381 speaker at 6moons.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Usher 6381 review
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2005, 10:33 pm »
Quote from: marvda1
there is a review of the Usher 6381 speaker at 6moons.
Here's the link.... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher/6381.html

nzera

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2005, 10:56 pm »
Has anyone used tubes with the 6371 or 6381?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2005, 11:57 pm »
i'm using a tube preamp, the dodd audio entry level pre with a denon 2000ivr integrated as the power amp.

gitarretyp

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2005, 12:38 am »
I'm using a modded Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE with my 6311s (amp is a modded hca-2), and i'm quite happy with the sound. My System

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2005, 01:02 am »
Hi everyone,
  I have not personally had the speakers in my shop to try them out with tubes but I do have a few customers that have or have heard these speakers with tubes. They are very happy with the combination but I do not have info on what amps they are running.

I have run every Usher speaker that has come through my store with tubes and have had good luck in every situation. I got the best sound from a pair of 6311s with a Reference Jolida JD801 power amp.

Here are a few combinations some of my customers are running:

1) Usher AC-10 with Reference Dared VP-845 @ 22 watts
Usher 6311 with Reference Jolida 3205 @ 50 watts
 (these speakers have modifications performed that were slightly over half the cost of the speakers).
2) Usher D2 horns with Signature Ming-Da MC34-B @ 22 watts
3) Ultimate Usher X-718 with Signature Jolida 3205 @ 60 watts
4) Ultimate Usher X-719 with Reference Dared VP-845 @ 22 watts
5) Usher 730 with Jolida JD1000 @ 100 watts

There are more but all these customers are very happy with their arrangements. I think, actually I know, the key is to pick the right tube amp to meet your personal taste and listening habits.

DARTH AUDIO

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2005, 02:18 pm »
Hey Bill, what mods did you do to the 6311? Off the subject, are you thinking of modding the Kavent A-210 Integrated Hybrid Amplifier? Just wondering.

Gary
Chicago, IL

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 02:50 pm »
HI Gary,
  The mods to the 6311's were a bit over the top. A combination of V-Cap and AuriCap capacitors, Mills resistors and Bybees on every driver.

The "over the top" came from replacing ALL the internal wiring with custom Star Sound Sonoran made up for this venture. This is the Sonoran with the Micro Bearing. I think it doubled the weight of the speaker :mrgreen:
 The modification was brought forth via communication with the custom.

He has been running these speakers for some time with a Reference Jolida 302A.

At this time, I really don't have any intentions to go inside the Kavent A-210. I can say that tube rolling makes a work of Difference in this amp. I am running some EH 12AX7s and a Seimens E88CC (6922). So smoooooth.

I also sent a pair of the the Seimens to Carlman to try out in his DK Design. I have to get back to him to see what he thought.

Maybe someday, we can do a comparison between the Kavent and DK Design.

Carlman

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 03:46 pm »
Hey... I forgot... and I did do a back to back comparison of Siemens CCa's to the Siemens you sent... (can't remember which type)

In a nutshell from what I recall, the CCa's were better in every way... more bass extension, sweeter highs, and a liquid midrange.  The CCa is a great tube choice for the DK.  

The Siemens you sent weren't bad but they rolled off the highs more than I like and the bass didn't have as much impact.  The midrange was still smooth and enjoyable... in fact, despite being dwarfed by the capabilities of the CCa's, it's a good tube... better than some, not as good as others.. and may do the trick for your particular gear.  It's a flavor.

I ended up going back to my rocket logo Russian tubes in the DK.  It's the flavor I like today.  ;)  I've used Amperex Gold Pins (the ones with 'PQ' on them with some success also in the DK.  They do nothing 'wrong' but they do nothing for me either.  It's probably the most neutral tube I've tried.

So, that's my long overdue review...  :oops:

Thanks,
Carl

DARTH AUDIO

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2005, 09:39 pm »
Bill, Thanks for the info.. How is the parts quality with the Kavent A-210? How would the Kavent equipment compare with the Jolida JD3000's? I'm looking to buy a new place and I may need to down size my room. Those JD3000's would be to warm for the room in the condo I'm looking at in the city. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Gary

rosconey

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2005, 10:30 pm »
best e88cc i tried so far was a telefunkin-makes my  cdp sing :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2005, 11:10 pm »
How is the parts quality with the Kavent A-210? How would the Kavent equipment compare with the Jolida JD3000's?

Different worlds altogether. I think the Kavent mono blocs (any one of them) are exceptional in both quality and sonics. The A-210 is much better than I even expected with parts quality used throughout the gear very good. Solen caps, Alps volume control and a very clean and well designed layout.

For Hybrid equipment, I honestly do not think it can be bent but again, not even the same world as the 3000A 200 watt 211 mono blocs.

DARTH AUDIO

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2005, 12:03 am »
Any closer to being finished with the JD3000 mod?  :?:  :wink:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2005, 01:10 am »
I am finished with the 3000A and 3000B mods. With the 3000 mono blocs it does brng out more resolution and transparency. The "character" is still there. By this I mean they are and always will be on the warmer side of neutral.
 I built my units with SoniCap Platinum capacitors which added a great sense of texture.
 I am still having a problem with one of the amps blowing a fuse when the relay kicks on (doesn't always happen) but have not had the time the past several months to get them on the bench to figure out the problem.
 This is why I offered them at a great price a while back. $3500 for the pair I believe with full modifications.
 Hopfully I will find some time towards the end of this summer to get the one piece figured out. Right now I go through about 2-3 fuses on fire up. Once I get the one unit to fire up without blowing the fuse, it runs great until I shut it down.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2005, 01:17 am »
Here is a link to what has been done on the pair I have currently. It is the Level2 Statement mods with the SoniCap Platinums.

http://www.responseaudio.com/jolida211statement.htm

DARTH AUDIO

Usher 6381 review
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2005, 02:01 am »
Bill, thanks for the update.. I'll check back later this summer.. What do you think the price will be if I already own a pair.

Thanks as always,

Gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6381 review
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2005, 02:29 am »
HI Darth,
  Maybe when I get the fuse thing figured out, I can send them to my Chicago lacation and you can get to hear them to judge for yourself. I don't know how far you are from Jam'n Audio in Lake Villa??

I don't have a price yet for just the modification as I haven't received too many inquiries. I can tell you that you would be 3rd on the list.

What preamp are you running??? If it is the Jolida preamp, I would highly recommend putting your efforts into this prior to the amps as I have found the preamp is more critical than the amps. At least in this setup. The 3000B and Envoy preamps are great pieces for the money and turn into amazing units after a rebuild.