Your suggestion for a DIY with these specs...

Loftprojection

« on: 23 May 2005, 11:07 pm »
Hello, I'm contemplating the idea of building my own speakers.  I've done some research but I tought I'd ask here to see if something original would popup! haha

So, basically I want highs that are not aggressive, super natural mids and voices that give you goose bumps, haha, for bass I'm not too difficult, something with a tight bass in the 40s maybe high 30s is fine.  Ideally a small tower or big bookshelf.  I would also be interested in producing 3 more speakers with identical drivers for a center and rear.

I currently have NHT 1.3 as main and 1.1 as center and rear.  I love them but I'd like to upgrade a bit because they are my weak link now that I've upgraded by CD player (Arcam CD23T) and integrated amp (Audio Aero).

To give you an idea of what I like in commercial speakers I listened to:

- Proac D15 (my ultimate!)
- Opera Superpavarotti (not quite low enough in the bass but ho the voices and strings are marvelous on this speaker)
- Totem Arro (very very nice and cheap but not quite refined enough in the mids)

And some that I didn't like that much:

- B&W 600 series
- Quad 11L
- Monitor Audio Silver series
- Triangle

Ideally my budget is around $500-700 for the pair of main (drivers/crossover) or less is even better.

By the way, I found several designs on the web but what is difficult is that most don't say what type of sound to expect from the design. If they could do a review after building them it would be nice!  haha   There are plenty of Proac clones so that might be what I end up doing just to be sure.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2005, 11:36 pm »
First off since this is probably one of your first pairs of DIY speakers you are best off going with a laid out plan rather than designing your own.  To put it succintly, I think the pair of DIY speakers you are looking for, based on budget, criterion and like commercial speakers are the Modula MTM DIY monitors that Jon Marsh & Co designed over at htguide.com/forum.  Look in Mission Possible DIY.  

The ones you want are the update with the RS28a tweeter rather than the SEAS 27TFDC, which is also a great tweeter but not quite up to par with the now released RS28a.  The xo's are costly, around $490/pr, but this is where the magic lies.   The drivers aren't too expensive, but don't write that off, they are high performance, even more so than SEAS Excel series with the given xo.  I commisioned John @ DIYbox.com to make me some cabinets, stand mounted although you can go floor mounted for even deeper bass, and Jon Marsh recommends doing so for music monitors.  John is charging me ~$250 for a pair of custom made, stained to match furniture, real wood trimmed cabinets.   IIRC, the drivers are in the $150-200/set.  This is near your ballpark but probably will make speakers to enjoy for years without worries of upgrades.  

Don't discount the xo that Jon designed for these speakers as it is the key to making the most of the good drivers and MTM layout.  He is a very good  DIY designer, who has been around a long time building speakers and has a reputation to back that up.

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 03:30 am »
I knew it, somebody sure would be coming up with something interesting.  Josh, this Modula MTM sure looks good.   I'll read the thread, hopefully they talk about how it sounds or even better compared it to some commercial designs.  Thanks Josh.

Hogg

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2005, 05:03 pm »
Two great sources for kits are:                  

http://www.madisound.com/kits.html

http://www.zalytron.com/

Jim

lupodwdm

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2005, 07:44 am »
http://gr-research.com  

Enough said!

:)

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2005, 11:38 am »
Hi,

I have been a long time lurker at the zalytron site over the last 4 years.  Many times i have been tempted to buy a kit.  I have finally ordered the phenomenal floorstander speaker kit from zalytron and including shipping to australia it has cost me $1530us.  I think this is extremely cheap as the tweeters cost $700us a pair.

I currently have a pair of speakers which use raven 1 tweeters and 2 x 7 inch 7k4211db kevlar focal drivers in an mtm configuration and they sound excellent.

Zalytron have other kits which will suit your budget.  If you are after an affordable product buy the aria 5 or 5r with the raven tweeter.

http://www.zalytron.com/

I really don't understand why more people don't buy these kits and spend $1000's us of money buying speakers which utilise cheaper drivers.  The zalytron kits have been designed by well renowned people like joe diappolito, dennis murphy, orca manufacturing and other reputable speaker/xover designers.

Regards

Rod

Loftprojection

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2005, 02:17 am »
Thanks folks, quite a few interesting solutions and I had not seen any of those yet...  The worst will be choosing which!  haha

Any of you has built a kit and compared it to commercial speakers?  Like kit X sound like let's say Proac model A but the voice is more detailled or tighter bass, etc...  This is the most difficult part of the decision with all this DIY speaker stuff.

guest1632

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2005, 06:37 am »
Quote from: Loftprojection
Thanks folks, quite a few interesting solutions and I had not seen any of those yet...  The worst will be choosing which!  haha

Any of you has built a kit and compared it to commercial speakers?  Like kit X sound like let's say Proac model A but the voice is more detailled or tighter bass, etc...  This is the most difficult part of the decision with all this DIY speaker stuff.

Hi, Well, go over to the DIY circle. Kevin is in the process of putting together some really marvelous speakers, the best being about $700 or $800 a pair. It's a 3 way design.

Ray