Tried SR325 and HD600, need a little advice again...

Loftprojection

OK, I was able to audition a pair of Grado 325 and Senn 600, both one on one versus my old Beyer DT511.

The Senn sound is a bit nicer then my Beyer, a little less aggressive in the highs, mids are more natural BUT, they sound like there is no soundstage, it's all pushed inside the head.  My Beyer sound kind of more airy, kind of a larger soundstage, like the music is playing just at the outside of my ears versus inside my head.  So even if the Senns sound is a bit nicer, overall I would not change them for my Beyer.

The Grado are a love/hate type of thing.  Certain songs with strings instruments I almost fainted.  The string instruments are just unbelievable.  They are also not aggressive at all in the highs.  However, on other songs/music types, they just sound ordinary.  Also again with the Grado, I don't have that air and space like on my Beyer.  So this one I would love to have a pair for some specific music but overall they are not worth it to replace my Beyer.

So now I'm asking you guys considering what I just explained, what do you think I should do.  I like my Beyers but I'd like them a little less aggressive in the highs and that "nirvana" in the mids like the Grado but with a "wide soundstage" type of sound like my Beyer!  haha   I did not find AKG or Beyers in the stores I visited.  I'll keep searching but if you heard new Beyers, did you find them similar to what I just described when compared to Senns and Grado?  Are AKG models (not the 1000) more like what I'm describing also?

Thanks for your help.  I'm having fun re-discovering headphones after several years not even listening to them!

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2005, 07:54 pm »
I haven't heard them, but the Senn 555/595 might be a good item to try.  The word on head-fi was that the angled driver arrangement created a very good soundstage.  

The item I'm interested in trying sometime (may or may not be for you) is the Beyer DT880.

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2005, 07:55 pm »
Haha, I just found a store that carries the Beyer 880, I'm going there tonight, I'll let you know the result!!!

Loftprojection

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2005, 12:31 am »
OK, I just tried the Beyer 880 vs my old 511.  Quite nice.  I definitely prefer them to the Senns 600.  The have a similar sound to my old 511, with a wide soundstage but more refinement, highs are a less aggressive, mid and voices are nicer.  

However, I also made the mistake of trying out a Stax 2020 basic system.  Ho my ho my.  Those are headphone that make everything else I tried sound like crap.  Well it's also almost 2.5 times the price!

I'm thinking....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2005, 01:55 am »
They say that once you go stax, you never go bax.

fabaudio

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2005, 03:07 am »
Quote from: Tyson
They say that once you go stax, you never go bax.
                                                                                                I have a pair of Stax Lambda Basic Nova's ( about 9 years old) just layin' around lookin' pretty that I might sell. Any offers?
 Frank

onemalt

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2005, 12:36 am »
Are you using a headphone amp? HD-600/650 really need a dedicated amp to shine. Actually, any pair of cans sounds better with a HP amp.

Loftprojection

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2005, 03:46 pm »
onemalt, when I tested the HD600 and SR325 versus my Beyer DT511, I was in a shop using a Sugden CD player and an Antique Sound Lab tube headphone amp...  When I tested the Beyer DT880 and the Stax 2020 vs my DT511, I was in another shop using a Lynn CD player and integrated.  So I think I was pretty much using very high quality equipment.  Keep in mind that this is my personal taste, not a pro review... The HD600 did sound very good but the both Beyer sounded more "airy", more like outside of my head versus centered inside my head!  The Stax also sounded more like regular speakers.  Basically the Senns sounded like the ultimate headphones, the Beyer and the Stax sounded almost like speakers, not the greatest analogy but I guess it's a bit what I felt and liked.

Now I'm trying to locate a store where I could listen to Audio Technica AD1000, I'd like to compare those to my Beyer now! haha

Quote from: onemalt
Are you using a headphone amp? HD-600/650 really need a dedicated amp to shine. Actually, any pair of cans sounds better with a HP amp.

onemalt

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2005, 12:23 pm »
Well, you're absolutely right about the Senn's lack of air (especially compared to the Stax). I guess what I like about them is warm, lush, liquid sound I get out of them. They don't work well with all types of music though - these are NOT rock and roll cans (I use my Grados for that). But for jazz, acoustic, classical and vocal stuff, you couldn't pry them off my head with a stick!
If I'm reading your tastes correctly, I think you're going to find the ATs bright after the 511s and 880s.