DVD player

Charles Calkins

DVD player
« on: 16 May 2005, 05:17 pm »
If anybody is in the market for a new DVD player I strongly suggest they look at the Oppo-OPDV971H player. I've had mine for two weeks and it is the best player I've owned. Brilliant picture!! Very good surround sound reproduction. However your TV has to have a DVI-D input to take advantage of the Oppo DVD player.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Al Garay

DVD player
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2005, 05:59 am »
I agree except that the TV can also have HDMI and you can buy a DVI-HDMI cable or converter which also works very well with the OPPO. The sound quality is also very good.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
DVD player
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2005, 01:32 pm »
Hell of a bargain.

Charles Calkins

DVD player
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2005, 02:19 pm »
Q-Banditz:
  You bet your sweet bippy it's a hell of a bargin!!
  Couple of days ago I dug out an old English DVD movie titled "Zulu" I kept on flipping it back and forth between the Oppo and my cheepie Pioneer. The pioneer plays pretty good for a $100.00 player. But the Oppo hands down is a far better player. The picture detail both up close and in the backround is outstanding. Plus with the Oppo I don't have to adjust my TV's screen size anymore. The oppo does it automaticaly. Sure is a very good player. Now I'm thinking of getting a new receiver to replace my old Kenwood. Any suggestions?

Cheers
                                          Charlie

jermmd

DVD player
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 02:35 pm »
Are there any decent DVD players that upconvert via component?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DVD player
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2005, 02:39 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
However your TV has to have a DVI-D input to take advantage of the Oppo DVD player.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

I have the Oppo and use it with my CRT-based Runco 930 front pj; i.e VGA (rgbhv).  You just need one of these:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/DCDA1.ASP

It's a very good DVD player, especially at its price point.  The DVD-Audio sound ain't bad either; not to the level of the Denon 3910, Yammy 2500 or Pioneer 59avi, but those decks are 3-4X $$.

scottpretti

DVD player
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2005, 02:47 pm »
jermmd

Check out the NeuNeo HVD-2081 it will upconvert 720p via component, go to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=542674 to read a full review.   If you go rgbhv you will need a transcoder.

ted_b

• Volunteer
DVD player
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
Are there any decent DVD players that upconvert via component?

Many DVD players go 480p via component, but not true upconvert above that.  The Momitsu is an exception, and upconverts to a very nice 720p or 1080i as well.  It's also unique in that it will output DVI-I, meaning an analog vga display can use it with a simple $5 adapter (DVI-I to VGA).  The Oppo is unique the other way,  in that it isn't even progressive scan at the component outs, just 480i.  You mus use DVI-D to upconvert.  The Oppo uses a Faroudja DCDi chip (fl2310) which can show macroblocking on many displays, while the Momitsu uses a Sigma Designs solution; no macroblocking, but not the scaler/deinterlacer that the Faroudja is either.

Ted

ted_b

• Volunteer
DVD player
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2005, 02:52 pm »
Quote from: scottpretti
jermmd

Check out the NeuNeo HVD-2081 it will upconvert 720p via component, go to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=542674 to read a full review.   If you go rgbhv you will need a transcoder.

Oops, forgot about that new one on the block, and just posted the other day on that thread.  The NeuNeo will go all the way to 1080p (holy grail for 9" crt's).  I use this transcoder for component decks (like my beautiful Modwright 999ES):

http://www.hdconnection.com/Products.htm

The king of transcoders is suposedly Mike Parker's vaunted MP-5 ($600-700) but he's not gotten the thing into full production yet.  I love Petr's transcoder (th link above), it does a great job for me at $300.

Ted

jermmd

DVD player
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2005, 06:57 pm »
Thanks for the links.  That was just what I was looking for.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
DVD player
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2005, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
Oops, forgot about that new one on the block, and just posted the other day on that thread.  The NeuNeo will go all the way to 1080p (holy grail for 9" crt's).  I use this transcoder for component decks (like my beautiful Modwright 999ES):

http://www.hdconnection.com/Products.htm

The king of transcoders is suposedly Mike Parker's vaunted MP-5 ($600-700) but he's not gotten the thing into full production yet.  I love Petr's transcoder (th link above), it does a great job for me at $300.

Ted

How can the NeuNeo upscale to 1080p if no TV's exist yet with inputs that accept 1080p signals?

scottpretti

DVD player
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2005, 06:25 pm »
If you have a 9 inch CRT front projector you can do 1080p.  Some 8 inchers are said to be able to handle 1080p, mine works best at 720p.

Bingo

DVD player
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2005, 12:51 am »
Has anyone ever even heard of anyone that managed to get an LG LST-3510A to play DVD's via it's RGBHV output? Is there a site that knows alot about source codes or firmware? Mine upscales via DVI but I don't have DVI inputs.