Multiple amps for active crossover?

brj

« on: 16 May 2005, 03:18 pm »
Hi Vinnie.

I'm currently pondering the purchase of an 85 dB/1W/1M pair of main speakers, which are thus most likely not in the comfort zone of a low power amp.  Have you given any thought to how to gang multiple ClariT or Teacs into a single convenient active system?  (I will probably order any speakers with a passive crossover that can be bypassed at a later date so that I can implement an active crossover.)

Specifically, what are your thoughts on mixing a ClariT on the tweeter(s), a Teac on the woofer(s) and either a ClariT or Teac on the mid(s)?

Could you tie all of the chargers into a single switch for the sake of convenience?  (Aside from plugging them all into a power strip.  Ideally, I want remote power on! :) )

Are there any other changes (enclosures, etc.) that may help provide economies of scale and reduce total price for such a implementation?

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Multiple amps for active crossover?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 09:35 pm »
Quote from: brj
Hi Vinnie.

I'm currently pondering the purchase of an 85 dB/1W/1M pair of main speakers, which are thus most likely not in the comfort zone of a low power amp.  Have you given any thought to how to gang multiple ClariT or Teacs into a single convenient active system?  (I will probably order any speakers with a passive crossover that can be bypassed at a later date so that I can implement an active crossover.)

Specifically, what are your thoughts on mixing a ClariT on the tweeter(s), a Teac on the woof ...

Hi bjr,

With 85dB speakers, I'm not sure if 30 watts is enough power for your needs.  Using multiple amps for an active crossover is a more complex way of doing things.  I highly value simplicity and configurations that allow for such simplicity (ex. higher sensitivity speakers and lower powered amps).  Mixing Clari-T and Teac boards can be done, but it becomes more complex...

Have you considered higher efficiency speakers than the 85dB speakers that you are thinking about purchasing?

Regards,

brj

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 10:51 pm »
I've already narrowed my speaker selection down, and all of my preferences are in the 85-87 dB/w/m range.  (However, yes, I did consider some higher efficency speakers, but eliminated them - mostly due to price or an inability to audition them rather than performance.)

Again, I will stick with a passive crossover and higher powered amp solution initially.  I know that "even" the 30W Teac would be challenged at that 85 dB sensitivity if asked it to power the entire speaker.

I'm thinking ahead to that time (down the road when my funds recover) when I replace the passive crossover with an active crossover, and thus need an amp per driver (or driver section).  At this point, lower powered amps would become more feasible as they are only driving part of the total speaker.

What I'm pondering are ways to make such a mutli-battery-powered-amp configuration convenient and was wondering if you had any thoughts on the subject.  I'm thinking long term here, so there is certainly no hurry for my sake.  If this isn't a direction you plan to take, that's fine too - no worries!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 11:01 pm »
What I'm pondering are ways to make such a mutli-battery-powered-amp configuration convenient and was wondering if you had any thoughts on the subject....

Hi brj,

Did you know that the Teac unit actually has two stereo amplifier boards in it?  Even though it is sold as a 3-channel amp, there is another unused channel in there that can be used.  This would give you 4 channels (2 Left, and 2 right), which might be right up your alley!  8)   Want battery power?  Send it on over for the mods!  :P

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Teac_AL700P_mods.html

Feel free to contact me in the future about this...

Regards

brj

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 11:19 pm »
Are you referring to bridging two per side, or creating 4 channels in a single box connected via a signle power (charging) switch?  Do you have the back panel real-estate for this?

If so, this gets us to 4 channels... how about 6?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2005, 12:20 am »
Are you referring to bridging two per side, or creating 4 channels in a single box connected via a signle power (charging) switch?  Do you have the back panel real-estate for this?

If so, this gets us to 4 channels... how about 6?

Hi brj,

Yes, you can have 4 channels of battery Tripath power (in the Teac enclosure), which one ON/charge switch and one charger jack for the whole thing.  And yes, there is enough back panel real-estage for this.

6-channels would be a little more tricky... :?

Tubo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2005, 03:39 am »
I guess I am resurrecting this thread from 3 weeks ago (or, at least, I hope so) by posting a reply.

brj,
I have been listening to a stock Teac driving LS3/5A's for the past 10 days and it DOES have enough power to drive them to realistic levels. LS3/5A's are 82db-sensitive but easy to drive. In my bedroom (a smaller room) I drive a pair of 11-ohm Spendor LS3/5A's with 8-watt ASL Wave 8 's. In  my living room (a much larger room) I drive 15-ohm Rogers LS3/5A's with either the 30-watt Teac or the 35-watt Dynaco Stereo 70. Both have more than enough power.

Vinnie,
I am interested in having you mod my Teac so that it has 4 channels. Would it also have 2 stereo inputs? More importantly, is there an advantage in PASSIVE bi-amping my LS3/5A's? That is, driving each pair of tweeters with one stereo amp and each pair of woofers with the other stereo amp. Would doing so stress the battery power?

Thanks for your reply in advance!

brj

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2005, 03:51 am »
Thanks for the reply, Tubo!

Part of my question was related to pure power delivery issues, and you answer that question.  I do have a large room, but I usually don't listen at loud volumes even during dedicated listening sessions, so I would probably be ok with less power than many.

Most of my question, however, was background thinking for moving to a fully active system at some undetermined future point in time.  In other words, I want to tri-amp for the sake of using an active crossover (with driver/room correction) rather than as a way to fit small amps into a lower efficency system.  In that light, I would still need a total of 6 amps, and it would be convenient to trigger them on/off all at once - ideally with a remote! :)

Thanks again!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2005, 10:29 am »
Quote from: Tubo
Vinnie,
I am interested in having you mod my Teac so that it has 4 channels. Would it also have 2 stereo inputs? More importantly, is there an advantage in PASSIVE bi-amping my LS3/5A's? That is, driving each pair of tweeters with one stereo amp and each pair of woofers with the other stereo amp. Would doing so stress the battery power?

Hi Tubo,

Yes, I can mod the Teac for four channels.  As far as inputs, I can make it so every channel is independent, or there are 2 channels of LEFT, and 2 channels of RIGHT (ie, 2 RCA jacks, or 4 RCA jacks).

Regarding the bi-amping, I never tried doing this with the Teac but I highly doubt it will stess the battery power.  The tweeters draw minimal power compared to the woofers.

Regards,

Tubo

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2005, 12:32 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks for your quick reply! What is the extra cost for four independent channels? I know your standard mod is $450.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2005, 11:34 pm »
Quote from: Tubo
Vinnie,

Thanks for your quick reply! What is the extra cost for four independent channels? I know your standard mod is $450.

Hi Tubo,

This is something that I'd have to work out with you... email me to discuss.

Thanks,