Clari-T Dual Mono Blackgates No Volume Upgraded Connectors

miklorsmith

This is tough.  We as a tribe lack the critical zero point.  How does one use their own experience, unknown to others, to establish a common link? (rhetorical).  I am at a loss.  I have received a new amplifier from Vinnie, per above specifications, and find my descriptions already used previously.  By me.

My previous unit was "original stock", no upgrades, with volume control.  I've been using it for about 3 months and have preferred it to all others I've heard.

This thing is bigger.  Physically first - it's probably 70% bigger than the stock Clari-T and probably 4 times the weight.  It has two batteries, each of which is three times the size of the original.  It has heft beyond its size, which is about 1/3 the size of my preamp.  The new "Red Wine Audio" badge is understated and classy.

It sounds humungous.  Stereo separation is much greater than stock.  Punch and drive are already superior by a wide margin.  Finesse, especially in the treble, might be a tad behind the stock unit.  I was sitting in the chair, trying to put observations into words - specifically regarding limitations and weaknesses.  That's the best I can find.  

In absolute terms, the sound lacks nothing with no break-in.  Remembering the degree of change of the original unit over time, I don't know what to make of it.  I feel like I'm watching the state of the art migrate on GPS, right before my eyes.  What is the zero-point?

I don't think it exists in absolute terms - our brave pioneers are creating it day-by-day.  How will I describe the changes to come?  Absolutes are worn out by every reviewer that's had a new cable.

I used to print out every new cable review and suffer through the choices arising therefrom.  Which interconnect will take me to the promised land?  Power cords seem like a good idea - should I spend $300 or $500 ea?  Would the Parasound JC-1's be a great deal at $4k vs. my existing amp?

I have seen the light.  This rig with Whatever cables stem to stern would politely lay anything I've heard to quiet and serene sleep.  "Here rests all the other stuff that just doesn't cut it. . ."

Thanks Vinnie.  This amp is twice the cost but it's already twice the mindbender and still Cheep in absolute terms.  I don't know how to continually reinvent superlatives, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T Dual Mono Blackgates No Volume Upgraded Connecto
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2005, 08:51 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
This is tough.  We as a tribe lack the critical zero point.  How does one use their own experience, unknown to others, to establish a common link? (rhetorical).  I am at a loss.  I have received a new amplifier from Vinnie, per above specifications, and find my descriptions already used previously.  By me.

My previous unit was "original stock", no upgrades, with volume control.  I've been using it for about 3 months and have preferred it to all others I've heard.

This thing is bigger.  Physically firs ...

Hi Miklorsmith,

Thanks for posting your initial impressions of your custom dual mono Clari-T!

In absolute terms, the sound lacks nothing with no break-in. Remembering the degree of change of the original unit over time, I don't know what to make of it. I feel like I'm watching the state of the art migrate on GPS, right before my eyes. What is the zero-point?

You are in for a real treat!  Once those Black Gates break in and do their thing, it gets very yummie sounding!  :wink:  Mmmm, ear candy!  :lol:

It sounds humungous. Stereo separation is much greater than stock. Punch and drive are already superior by a wide margin.

Thanks Vinnie. This amp is twice the cost but it's already twice the mindbender and still Cheep in absolute terms. I don't know how to continually reinvent superlatives, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I'm very happy to hear that you are enjoying it twice as much as the stock Clari-T!  This is awesome!

Thanks again, and please keep us posted!

-Vinnie

-Richard-

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 02:19 am »
Hi Miklorsmith,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your updated ClariT
transformed into monoblocks...

Always enlightening to read your insights...

And a great addition to our growing sense of what changes
would work the magic we are all trying to bring to our systems..

Please keep us informed during "break-in" of your evolving
take on things...

Warm regards -Richard-

miklorsmith

Minor Correction
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 02:44 pm »
This unit is a dual-mono, i.e. two batteries, two chips, one box.  It's set up with just one pair of binding posts and one pair of RCA's.

It's a Toyota Corolla hatchback with a blown SS 454 under the hood.   :D

-Richard-

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 09:22 pm »
Hi Miklorsmith,

Sorry for my misunderstanding of how your
amp is actually "engineered"...

Sounds like you designed it that way to
avoid issues with too many interconnects
and "duplicate" wiring problems that would
only degrade the signal...

Thanks for the correction...please keep us