R-DES announcement... It's here!

Greg Marberry

• http://www.av123.com
« on: 11 May 2005, 06:17 pm »
Introducing R-DES
After months of anticipation, AV123 is proud to announce the release of the brand new Rocket Digital Equalization System or...R-DES.

What is R-DES?

R-DES (Rocket Digital Equalization System) is a PC based 6-band parametric EQ used to correct your subwoofer’s in-room response. This eliminates annoying frequency peaks created by your subwoofer’s interaction with certain characteristics of your room. The result is smooth, even, and natural bass response that brings you closer to how music and movie soundtracks were intended to sound. Best of all…ANY subwoofer will benefit from using the R-DES interface.

What effect does my room have on my system?

Your room contributes a large amount (more than you might think) to the sound you hear from your system. In fact, MOST of the sound you hear is actually reflected several times before finally reaching your listening position. This is especially the case with low frequencies...due mainly to the fact that most rooms do not absorb these long wavelengths well. With these reflections come frequency response problems based on the shape of the room itself. Depending on its dimensions, treatments, surfaces, etc. your room starts to resonate at certain frequencies causing an overly "boomy" or "one-note" response. ONIX Graph Paper...a graphing utility included with R-DES...along with the provided test tones and a simple Radio Shack SPL meter can help you find and eliminate these resonances...giving you a more balanced, and natural low frequency response.

Why do I need R-DES?

With R-DES, it's easy to correct for these frequency response aberrations. All you need is a SPL meter and your PC! With the included Graph Paper program and test tones, you can easily plot your in-room Frequency Response quickly and easily. Graph Paper will even compensate for the C-weighting of the Radio Shack SPL meter so you don't need to go out and buy an expensive measuring device. Once you have your in-room response graphed, you can make corrections in R-DES and upload them in real time! This means you can hear the changes you are making as you go.

What's included with R-DES?

The R-DES product consists of a hardware interface allowing you to electronically control the response of your subwoofers through a PC connected via USB (included) and the R-DES software featuring a 6-band parametric equalizer, Onix Graph Paper, and even a CD complete with a full suite of test tones and pink noise files.

What's different about R-DES?

R-DES also allows you to store multiple curves in the hardware, and another several thousand on your PC! This means you can build a frequency response curve for general movies, action movies, music or every movie/album in your library if you feel like it, and load them IN REAL TIME to your subwoofers! It really is THAT easy...no sliders to adjust, no calculations to make, and no moving your speakers around the room. When you want to switch curves, just touch a button on the front panel of the R-DES hardware, sit back, and enjoy.

R-DES represents a huge shift towards high quality, accurate bass in the home environment. With our 30-day in-room audition period, you simply must try out R-DES for yourself and hear what it can do for your system.

Click here  for more information or to place an order for your 30 day trial!

jermmd

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2005, 10:26 pm »
I look forward to the reviews.  If my sub (an ACI Maestro) is crossed over at 65hz,  Is there some way to use the RDES system with the low bass from my mains?  My prepro does bass management sending the full frequency to my mains (VMPS RM30's) and frequencies below 65hz are also sent to the sub.

How will this product compare to Velodynes new room correction box?  Are they the same thing?

Joe M.

Greg Marberry

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2005, 03:59 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
I look forward to the reviews.  If my sub (an ACI Maestro) is crossed over at 65hz,  Is there some way to use the RDES system with the low bass from my mains?  My prepro does bass management sending the full frequency to my mains (VMPS RM30's) and frequencies below 65hz are also sent to the sub.

How will this product compare to Velodynes new room correction box?  Are they the same thing?

Joe M.

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your interest here.  If your RM30s are biamped, you could put RDES in the signal chain.  Keep in mind that the highpass filter cuts off at 120 hz so it may create a hole in their response (depending on the internal XO in the speaker).  RDES is really designed for use in a powered sub or powered woofer configuration.

RDES is a different product than the Velodyne SMS.  They do have similar functions and the same goal in mind though.  I do imagine that our $399 price tag will be lower than what their system will cost.

Thanks,

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 05:03 pm »
Joe, that's my problem, too.  I send a full range signal to my RM40s and then crossover to my subs.  The way to use the R-DES properly would be to crossover the mains and use the R-DES between the mains and the sub/subs.  If you didn't do it this way, then you'd still get peaks for the parts where the mains produce the bass/midbass.  If I had a sub/sat system, the R-DES would be perfect.  As it is, I can't quite figure out how to get enough benefit to buy it.  I could split the signal from my preamp, and run the signal to the mids/highs on my RM40s and then through the R-DES to the lows on the RM40s, but that would leave the subs out of the loop.  The subs add the 20-40Hz range back to my system.  I could split the output of the R-DES to go to the lows on the RM40 and the subs, but that would require yet more interconnects and cascading crossovers.

kfr01

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 06:17 pm »
To piggyback on this line of questioning:

Is there any chance of seeing a pair of stereo rca outs with a high-passed LR crossover at the R-DES crossover point any time in the future?

This additional feature would greatly increase the functionality of the RDES for me... and increase my chances of buying it.

Anyway, it seems that there would be a lot of folks out there not only looking for a low pass crossover on the sub, but also a matching and corresponding high pass crossover to the mains.  Do HT people overlap their sub and mains?

The RDes seems like a nice product, but with no full-range pre-outs seems unusable for folks with 2-channel systems.  Put some full-range pre-outs on this device that has the same crossover point as the sub, and you've got my business.

Greg Marberry

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2005, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
To piggyback on this line of questioning:

Is there any chance of seeing a pair of stereo rca outs with a high-passed LR crossover at the R-DES crossover point any time in the future?

This additional feature would greatly increase the functionality of the RDES for me... and increase my chances of buying it.

Anyway, it seems that there would be a lot of folks out there not only looking for a low pass crossover on the sub, but also a matching and corresponding high pass crossover to the mains.  Do H ...

In its current form, RDES is designed for use in HT systems and two channel systems that have dedicated low level sub outputs.  That's not to say that there will be different versions in the future or simply a full range system that can be used with either theater or two channel systems.  At this time, with this first release, we don't have anything like that planned.

We, of course, appreciate your input and plan on seeing RDES as a product expand and the applications for it grow.  Keep an eye out and let us know if you have any further questions or suggestions.

Thanks

kfr01

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2005, 07:44 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I do love the look of the interface of your product and the functionality/price point seems wonderful.  I am considering picking one up to cure my room modes and using an RCA y-adapter to split off a subwoofer signal from my pre-outs.  Have you tried this?  Is there any audible degradation in quality when splitting an RCA signal as such?

Thanks again,
kfr

Greg Marberry

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2005, 10:02 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
Thanks for the response.  I do love the look of the interface of your product and the functionality/price point seems wonderful.  I am considering picking one up to cure my room modes and using an RCA y-adapter to split off a subwoofer signal from my pre-outs.  Have you tried this?  Is there any audible degradation in quality when splitting an RCA signal as such?

Thanks again,
kfr

We've never had instances of audible degredation when splitting the low level signals using RDES.  Since RDES actually comes with our Rocket RS 1000s, we've done several connection schemes where the signals are split a few times and everything sounded fine.  Personally, I'd be more concerned if this were done with a full range signal as opposed to just bass frequencies. :)