Hello! Aural enthusiast needs help with a Bryston...

antisocialite

Hi, I like music and am fascinated by sound.

I joined up here in hopes of getting some assistance in getting my 4BST back up. 

I'm sickened... because it's my fault: I accidentally plugged a headphone output from a cheap cd player(via a 2.5mm male plug to rca)directly into amp inputs.   (I had been using the line input Sonos connect, then out to amp) And turned it on.  After a few seconds I heard a pop.
No audio.  All 4 fuses are intact (yes, checked w/ continuity tester). 
Amp is out of warranty.  Bryston is backed up and I'm sure it would come back all good, but I can't spend $800 right now.
I live in the near these states: NJ, DE, MD and PA and would drive considerable distances to get this fixed.
Have any of you had good experiences with a local stereo repair shop and your Bryston?

I am not proficient at reading schematics, but have done recapping and component upgrades to my Eico HF81 and my old amp MC225.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello! Aural enthusiast needs help with a Bryston...
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2024, 02:34 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2024, 07:21 pm »
Welcome!  You can check places like hifiengine to see if they have a service manual

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2024, 09:56 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Dave   :thumb:

antisocialite

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2024, 09:26 pm »
Thanks Joe, Phil and Arthur.  I've been doing some research.  Haven't yet found where to get it repaired, but did rule out the power transistors and driver transistors.

Listening to the Head and the Heart on my Eico so all is not lost.