Auralex "Subdudes" with Titans?

Rich Carlson

« on: 9 May 2005, 10:35 am »
Does anyone have experience with these?  They are fairly low (3 inches) risers designed to acoustically isolate subwoofers from the floor.  I am wondering how they would work with Titans.

There is a discussion of them here: http://stereophile.com/musicintheround/1204mitr/

Harry P

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2005, 10:10 pm »
Rich, how much do they cost? and Where do you get them? Sounds kind of interesting.

GerryD

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2005, 10:25 pm »
Here's a link to one source for the Subdude.  I bought one for my son's sub for Christmas and he seems pleased with it.  But, his sub is not a Titan.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude/

Groch

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 12:09 am »
Interesting.  for $50 it is cheaper than most sound enhancement products.  

I am skeptical as I assume that Titans and other subs are voiced placed flat on the floor.  It is possible that even a slight elevation like this may alter the bass loading into the room.  However,  I imaging that a prestigeous subwoofer designer like Mike Dzurko would have more insight on that.

I do think it would be a great present for my upstairs neighbors. It looks like it would do a great job isolating the sub from the floor.

Harry P

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 11:51 pm »
I think it would be interesting to try them out. I bet that improvements would be somewhat a matter of what type of floor they are used on. For example, concrete vs a suspended floor have very different character.

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2005, 02:11 am »
I'm not sure why this would improve the performance of the sub.  I imagine that the sub will produce tighter bass if it is coupled rather than isolated from the floor.

But, I think that this may help reduce the amount of floor-borne vibration getting to your other components, esp if your floor is not super solid.  

Anyway, this is all theoretical on my part.  For $50, it is a cheap tweak.  

If you already have something like Herbie's Tenderfeet you can probably stick one under each foot of your sub to see if it makes a difference.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2005, 10:40 am »
Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

At $50 each, I'm tempted to try them.  I thought Mike might chime in with his thoughts on the issue of voicing for being on the floor.  

For what it's worth, in my room (hardwood floors) the Titans sound better with some felt pads rather than spikes.  I may also make some Sorbothane isolation pads (cover with something so they don't destroy the floors) and try that - that would raise the Titans no higher than spikes.

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2005, 01:00 pm »
Hmm, I have hardwood floors and some extra felt pads that I could easily put under my ACI Force.... thanks for the tip.