bacobits1

BIX TAble
« on: 1 May 2005, 02:57 am »
Anyone have a BIX table? Comments?

Den

LordCloud

BIX TAble
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2005, 05:02 pm »
Sorry, I don't have one, but I'm SERIOUSLY considering one. I would like some info as well.

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2005, 07:09 pm »
This is what i found out.

I did a search on Vinyl AA and things seemed to be mixed. I just think there are  not enough of them out there. I E mailed a few people who do own the BIX and they had no complaints at all. I don't think the manufacturer in China  has their shit together.  

Some things I did find out. There is only a 30 day warranty. Parts availability is nonexistant. The manufacturer in China will not supply any extra parts. Brian who runs DIY Hi FI in China has problems getting extra parts. There were bearing problems. Fitting with platter and stiffness. One site I have read the BIX comes with 2 string belts. Another said it has a Delrin pulley, and a brass pulley. That will use a round belt or a tape drive belt. I contacted Odyssey Audio (not the Amp Mfg.) US Ditributor in PA (they advertise BIX on Audiogon) via E Mail and had some questions. Oddly, the answers were very short and not directly answered.

So, all this tells me caution.

I have a great running and perfect condition VPI MKIII with a Rega RB300 Incognito wired, and heavyweight, VTA adjuster also installed. I suppose when it comes down to it why do I need any headaches like the above description? I'll pass on the BIX for now.

Den

mcrespo71

BIX TAble
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2005, 08:55 pm »
I hope that more of them get sold in the field.  It certainly looks impressive.

Michael

Carlman

BIX TAble
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2005, 11:57 pm »
I've had my doubts about it.... Especially since I know no one who has tried it.. and none of them know anyone that has either.  That's rare for me.  Usually I know someone who knows someone that's tried everything..  :lol:   (audio gear, that is)

Good luck finding opinions.

Many thanks to Den for posting his findings.  I had read of some of the issues on AA but not all of them.

Thanks,
Carl

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2005, 11:46 pm »
If you go into Inmates Systems on AA and search BIX you get 8 owners total of the Bix table and one contemplating when he has the money. Not many at all.

Den

LordCloud

BIX TAble
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2005, 02:16 pm »
I emailed a guy as well and he says he has no problems and loves his. I really want to believe it's a great deal and it works and sounds great, but I just don't know.

mcrespo71

BIX TAble
« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2005, 02:53 pm »
I personally wouldn't touch it, but I think it's a good idea for you to try it out for everyone on audiocircle.   :wink:

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2005, 03:11 pm »
I may go after it anyway. I'm nuts.
I do have an E Mail in right now to Brian at DIY Hi Fi.
Den

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2005, 11:25 pm »
Apparently he does not answer E mail.

Den

mcrespo71

BIX TAble
« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2005, 11:30 pm »
Maybe that's why only a handful of people own them!!!   :lol:

erimille

BIX TAble
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2005, 06:36 pm »
Howdy Den!

I managed to give this table a good 'looking over' when I was in China a few months ago. I'm afraid however that the circumstances surounding my trip didn't lend themself to a good chance to sit down and listen. :( Overall, I was really impressed with what I saw; especially for the price. While I'm generaly pleased with my MMF-5 / rewire, etc. I keep thinking about a doing my own DIY table. But every time I price this out, I keep comming back to the BIX.

I too have been tracking the threads in various groups about the BIX. In particular, I found the following posts [1][2] very helpful. The general theme I can extract from all of this is there are small issues / various problems to watch out for, but these are being addressed and things are starting to be ironed out.

I'd be concerned, but not terribly concerned, about the amount of people that own this table.  There are only 5x the number of BIX owsers over at AA that have items from another small audio outfit we are both familiar with :)

So... if you have the $$, and willing to be patient (if needed), I say go for it!  And, if it doesn't work out for you (you don't like it, too many problems that it becomes a hassle, your VPI is better, etc.), I may be in the market by then to buy it off you :)

ps: and please keep us posted... I for one and very interested in your decision.

--eric

[1] http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=369820&highlight=BIX&session= (and corresponding thread)
[2] http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=diyhifi&n=5008&highlight=BIX&r=&session=

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2005, 11:39 pm »
Hi Eric, there was one FS on Audiogon 2 weeks ago ($650). It had a  Rega 250 and a Mitchell techno weight. I hesitated till later that evening and lost it to someone else. There were 4 other people wanting to buy it. I had never seen one used in almost the 2 years it had been out.

Hey we're all nuts my VPI sounds great.

When you going to be around Boston again?

Den

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
BIX TAble
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2005, 03:47 am »
bacobits, you might try the discussion forum for diyhifisupply over at AA. Brian is a good guy, just a little too busy for his own good. I have waited several days for a reply but sooner or later it would come......if you buy the BIX from him I think he will make sure you are satisfied.

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2005, 04:49 pm »
tull, thanks I had not seen that DIY Hi Fi forum over on AA.

Den

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
BIX TAble
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2005, 08:22 pm »
by the way bacobits...
very cool system.

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2005, 01:17 am »
Thank You !

I just took my table off Audiogon. Too many tire kickers and lowballers. Everybody wants it for nothing.  It's a pain in the ass selling especially turntables. I really didn't want to chance shipping it.

Den

LordCloud

BIX TAble
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2005, 09:49 pm »
I LOVE the Django, and I've been more than pleased with the customer service I've gotten from Brice. When I get the money together, I'm going to get one.

erimille

BIX TAble
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2005, 09:13 pm »
Quote from: bacobits1
Hi Eric, there was one FS on Audiogon 2 weeks ago ($650). It had a  Rega 250 and a Mitchell techno weight. I hesitated till later that evening and lost it to someone else. There were 4 other people wanting to buy it. I had never seen one used in almost the 2 years it had been out.

Hey we're all nuts my VPI sounds great.

When you going to be around Boston again?

Den

I get there just about once a week, but its a quick in and out in a day. I think the real question is when I can get some time to stay over,  finally hook up and listen to some music :)

Regarding the Audiogon deal - sounds like a great price. Too bad I missed that... For the price, I would have been tempted to move on that myself. :)  

I second tull skull's suggestion regarding both the forum and Brian. regarding the latter, I had several email dialogs with Brian about his LadyDay+ 300B amps before deciding on my Zen. He seemed like an extremely nice, and helpful individual.

--  eric (noting to himself to follow-up on email with Den about travel schedule)

bacobits1

BIX TAble
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2005, 03:07 am »
Just a bit of a follow up here. Brian quickly did follow up my E mails and addressed all my questions on the BIX. As Eric knows I went with a used loaded Basis 1400, Basis clamp, Rega 300, Michell Techno Weight, Benz Glider, and Dustcover. The precision bearing on this table is huge. The motor starts to speed, stops immediately and is very quiet. The whole table has a very precision look and feel to it. Most of all, it sounds really nice. I'm using my AT OC9 right now to better compare how it sounds directly to the VPI I had. The Basis has better detail. Speed control,especially piano pitch is much better. I'm hearing things I never heard before. A deeper soundstage, nice slam and PRAT is right up there with the VPI. The VPI seems to be a mellow warmer table. Most of the time now that I hear the Basis the VPI was not too often equal or better than my Digital. It is now.
I got the VTA set in record time on the Basis. Everything up and running set in 90 minutes.

Very happy with the purchase although it was twice the price of the BIX.
I just did not want any fiddling, run in, or hassles.

All the products coming from China have a way to go on the support end. Nice enough products but guarantees and support is not there yet. IMHO
of course. This by no means is intended to slam the BIX. It still looks like a great product for the buck$.  

Den