Rank the Top GR Research Speakers

BrandonB

Re: Rank the Top GR Research Speakers
« Reply #40 on: 2 Sep 2023, 06:43 pm »
The LS9 came in 2 variants.  Box and OB.  IMO the box version is on par with the NX-Treme.  The OB version (very rare) is better than the NX-Tremes but not quite as good as the Line Force speakers.

Seriously!  You are saying the box versions are as good as the nx-tremes?   That is a bold comment.   Do you know how good they image and soundstage being such a huge speaker? 

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #41 on: 2 Sep 2023, 08:11 pm »
I am curious how people would rank the old AV123 GR Research LS6?  I hear they are rather finicky in ways. 

I have a room that is basically 18ftx18ft with 10ft ceiling.  Not included in the measurement is a dining room off to one side, a foyer area and opening into kitchen and breakfast area.  I don't know if they are too big.  I see there is a pair that has been for sale for a long time.  I use a curtain to block off the dining room which is actually a work out area covered in rubber flooring. 

I currently have a pair of NX-Studio but I am wanting to go to a larger floor standing speaker that isn't a build project. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 2 Sep 2023, 08:31 pm »
Seriously!  You are saying the box versions are as good as the nx-tremes?   That is a bold comment.   Do you know how good they image and soundstage being such a huge speaker? 

Normally I'm not a fan of box speakers and good OB speakers will win out over good box speakers, based on my own personal preferences.  However, line arrays are different.  They do things no other speaker can match, when well executed.  It's like comparing 70mm film to IMAX.  Line arrays are larger than life and I really love them for that. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #43 on: 2 Sep 2023, 09:52 pm »
The LS9 came in 2 variants.  Box and OB.  IMO the box version is on par with the NX-Treme.  The OB version (very rare) is better than the NX-Tremes but not quite as good as the Line Force speakers.
OB version of the LS 9’s?

Are you referring to the Mockingbirds?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 2 Sep 2023, 10:14 pm »
OB version of the LS 9’s?

Are you referring to the Mockingbirds?

I think he’s talking about the LS-X Danny took to RMAF the last time he showed there. The Mockingbirds are what are now called the Line Force.

VinceT

« Reply #45 on: 3 Sep 2023, 12:43 am »
I am curious how people would rank the old AV123 GR Research LS6?  I hear they are rather finicky in ways. 

I have a room that is basically 18ftx18ft with 10ft ceiling.  Not included in the measurement is a dining room off to one side, a foyer area and opening into kitchen and breakfast area.  I don't know if they are too big.  I see there is a pair that has been for sale for a long time.  I use a curtain to block off the dining room which is actually a work out area covered in rubber flooring. 

I currently have a pair of NX-Studio but I am wanting to go to a larger floor standing speaker that isn't a build project.

You can do a search on the LS6, there are quite a few threads. I recall in a room your size Danny had to use a decent amount of room treatments at shows in smaller rooms.

BrandonB

« Reply #46 on: 3 Sep 2023, 02:44 am »
Normally I'm not a fan of box speakers and good OB speakers will win out over good box speakers, based on my own personal preferences.  However, line arrays are different.  They do things no other speaker can match, when well executed.  It's like comparing 70mm film to IMAX.  Line arrays are larger than life and I really love them for that.
I was talking with a friend outside of the forum and he said their was two different drivers in the LS9 and LS6 one was better than the other.  Do you know what he was talking about?

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #47 on: 3 Sep 2023, 03:35 am »
Besides the "floorstander" variant with the 2 bottom woofers from the X-Statik, have I read that the NX-Studio could be built as an MMTMM design?

Jaytor

« Reply #48 on: 3 Sep 2023, 01:22 pm »
The NX-Studio relies on an open top with a ramp to deflect the backwave of the tweeter so that the speaker can be placed closer to the wall behind, so a MMTMM configuration cannot be built the same way.

JCarney

« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2023, 01:45 pm »
My memory from the first couple of RMAF's was Danny and Gary brought LS-9's during one or two of those first 2 or 3 years, and those crazy big blue tube amps Gary built. Frankly, those were the best speakers Danny ever brought to RMAF, including the Super-7's IMHO. The LS-9's did not need a sub, and they had plenty of mid-bass energy, and plenty of grunt down low. They were huge, but that system was one of the best I heard anywhere, and at any price. The LS-6's were just a smaller version, but still very good, and more manageable in the real world. I've not heard any of the new speakers in the X, NX, LGK, or the Old School Series, but did build the Desktop Mini with my Granddaughter. I still think the LS-9's are one of the best I have ever heard at producing fun, accurate, and engaging music. Plus the scale is just massive.

Just my useless $.02 worth,
JCarney

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #50 on: 3 Sep 2023, 02:33 pm »
The NX-Studio relies on an open top with a ramp to deflect the backwave of the tweeter so that the speaker can be placed closer to the wall behind, so a MMTMM configuration cannot be built the same way.

I thought the same, but then I read this below.  Perhaps I'm misreading it...

BrandonB

« Reply #51 on: 3 Sep 2023, 06:28 pm »
I have heard that in the LS9 and/or LS6 their are versions with better drivers.  Does anyone know anything about this? How do you tell? etc....

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #52 on: 3 Sep 2023, 10:35 pm »
I thought the same, but then I read this below.  Perhaps I'm misreading it...

I still wonder what a TMM 2.5way floorstanding Super Studio would be though. Just having a little more oompf down low with the bottom driver dropping out around 250hz and it being a regular studio from then on. Heck, you could even keep it a sealed box all the way through so as to not have any port vs room interaction issues. I'm guessing it would have some funky crossover impedance shenanigans or phase issues is why it hasn't been done already. I guess that's really where a Brute comes in. Can't blame a guy for hoping though. I'd pull my Studios apart in 2 seconds to try that out though.

JCarney, funny you mentioned those LS9 that Danny had at RMAF all those years ago. They now belong to my friend/coworker Chris. He always tells me the story of everyone lugging them up/down the stairs of that hotel because the fright elevator was even too small. Ooof.  :o

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #53 on: 3 Sep 2023, 11:03 pm »
I have heard that in the LS9 and/or LS6 their are versions with better drivers.  Does anyone know anything about this? How do you tell? etc....

I don't think the drivers were any different, but I do think the crossover parts were lower quality in the AV123 versions of those speakers.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #54 on: 4 Sep 2023, 12:02 am »

JCarney, funny you mentioned those LS9 that Danny had at RMAF all those years ago. They now belong to my friend/coworker Chris. He always tells me the story of everyone lugging them up/down the stairs of that hotel because the fright elevator was even too small. Ooof.  :o
I remember RMAF the year of the “LS-X’s”. Same story. I was one of the ones grunting trying to get them up and down the stairs.

Memorable.

I know somebody took pictures of “The Struggle”.  Would love to see them if anybody has any of them. Quite awhile back now, but those were fun times. Miss the Old RMAF.

BrandonB

« Reply #55 on: 4 Sep 2023, 12:33 am »
I remember RMAF the year of the “LS-X’s”. Same story. I was one of the ones grunting trying to get them up and down the stairs.

Memorable.

I know somebody took pictures of “The Struggle”.  Would love to see them if anybody has any of them. Quite awhile back now, but those were fun times. Miss the Old RMAF.
Was the LSX an open baffle design?  What is your take on the ranking of speakers?

Glady86

« Reply #56 on: 4 Sep 2023, 12:59 am »
I have some limited experience with line array speakers. The ones I own are not in the same league as the LS models, but they are very dynamic and image really well, but the type I own have too many shortcomings so I don't use them much anymore.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #57 on: 4 Sep 2023, 01:28 am »
Just curious are you able to get your LS9's to image and soundstage very good.  If so how far off the wall are they?  What size is your room?  They are so big and dominant I can only imagine how much SPL they put out.
Yes they can image well, 5 ft from the back wall, 6 1/2 feet from the sides, 11 feet from the listening position, diffusion between them and in the corners. Sometimes diffusion wings out and slightly in front of the speakers.    Also bass traps in the corners, and 6" thick absorbers behind them.   The diffusion makes all the difference on image and soundstage.   
The LS9 is a big speaker, big pain in the butt to set up, and a big sound.   Orchestral music is their forte.   

S Clark

« Reply #58 on: 4 Sep 2023, 01:35 am »
Yep, the LS9 is overkill for a guy on a chair playing flamenco guitar.  But if you want to hear Gustave Holst "The Planets" convincingly in your overly large living room, they are just the thing.   
They also probably play deafening rock music extremely well... but it's not my thing.   

S Clark

« Reply #59 on: 4 Sep 2023, 01:38 am »
I was talking with a friend outside of the forum and he said their was two different drivers in the LS9 and LS6 one was better than the other.  Do you know what he was talking about?
No, they use the same drivers.  The crossover is different, and the 9's cross lower.