Audio Magic Kukama DAC A Multi-Bit Gem With Burr Brown PCM 1704

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
This has been my reference DAC, and every time I had a contender in here it never was able to best the Kukama where a change made a difference. In the past couple of years the advantages of muti-bit DAC have been recognized, and the king chip of multibit is the Burr Brown PCM 1704. furthermore the Kukama is built on a commercial board from Texas instruments, so this is a robust and sturdy circuit.

The Kukama does not have op amp outputs, but rather a custom built analog output stage. This particular DAC has undergone a SE upgrade from the designer, so it outperforms the standard unit. Only a handful of this series was built, and I was fortunate to have this one upgraded. The output stage can be set for 2 or 4V output, which means it can be used with a passive preamp and still drive any amp to full output without stressing the output stage.

The DAC does use SPDIF in for digital signal. However, if you want to hook it up to a computer, I do have a Singxer SU1 outboard interface that I can provide for $100. It performs at a higher level than the cheap USB input boards that modestly priced DACs currently use.

Originally sold for $2500  SE upgrade was $800

Sell for $600

payment Paypal or USPS money order

viggen

pm sent

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
Sold