Help Please! How do I Improve the aesthetics of my Dual Servo Subs?

VinceT

Remake the H frame with nice wood like Baltic birch or oak. Wood glue and cabinet screws would get it done fairly easy and you can even recess the screw heads and put filler in and paint the color of choice.

I would build a frame with like 1x1 to fit snugly inside the H Frame and wrap grill cloth and staple it around the back. Then build another 1x1 frame and mount it inside the h frame with wood glue to support the new grill and use strong velcro to hold the grill cloth frame in place against the new 1x1 frame . Mount it so when you insert the grill cloth frame inside the h frame the grill cloth is flush to the front of the h frame. I know the big box stores will even cut the wood for you if they have it in stock.

My old Ampeg bass cabinets used something similar to mount the cover on the face of the bass cabinets and it hold ups well if you use really strong velcro.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2023, 04:52 pm by VinceT »

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
  will do a roundover front to back on the four corners. Current plan from there are to duratex the inside of the cabinet (since one is already done this way) and to veneer or wrap the outside. Last part i'm wondering about is if I am going to veneer the edges of the outer panels or go another route.

I like roundovers. However I think it would be very tricky to veneer roundovers especially in more than one direction, at a corner. Do you know how to accomplish that?

g3rain1

I like roundovers. However I think it would be very tricky to veneer roundovers especially in more than one direction, at a corner. Do you know how to accomplish that?
Wood can be steamed to make it flexible. But you need to know what you are doing and also have access to a steam box of the right size

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
How do you press it properly though for a corner roundover like that? Curious how that works. I have seen vacuum boxes... but not sure it would work for this.

Vince in TX

What does your flat pack look like?   Mine came with both an inner and an outer cabinet.  If I ever got a wild hair to change it up, I could always remove the outer cabinet (carefully, of course, since they are glued together) and start over.

alaska_grown

Going to roundover in one direction, to get a sheet up the side over the top and back down the other side.

morganc

You can order custom color duratex in 1-gal or 5-gal buckets from acrytech.

Started a thread here wondering what to do with the 2 dual subs as I also do not like the flat pack outer design. Thought about using butcher block or going to a local cabinet maker. Ended up going the cheapest solution as I had already purchased and assembled 1 flat pack. I purchased the second flat pack. Next step i'm going to cut down the top and bottom panels so they are flush with the sides and will do a roundover front to back on the four corners. Current plan from there are to duratex the inside of the cabinet (since one is already done this way) and to veneer or wrap the outside. Last part i'm wondering about is if I am going to veneer the edges of the outer panels or go another route.

I am very interested in assembling fabric covers for the openings. Kids running around and fingers, toes, feet, heads, etc going into the cabinets can be aggravating

This could be a very easy solution....can I apply the white duratek over the black ? what prep is needed?

morganc

What does your flat pack look like?   Mine came with both an inner and an outer cabinet.  If I ever got a wild hair to change it up, I could always remove the outer cabinet (carefully, of course, since they are glued together) and start over.

That is a newer flat pack, mine is different!

BrandonB

I really like the modular flat packs in a hot rod black or a flat black.  I think HAL has a set in hot rod black.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
BrandonB,
You are correct.  I had them at LSAF2023 in June.

BrandonB

BrandonB,
You are correct.  I had them at LSAF2023 in June.

Yes.  I met you and listened to your setup.  I had you play "I see fire" by Ed Sheeran if that rings a bell.  I really like the look of those subs.  I wished I would have listened to your setup a bit more.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Yes, I remember the request for the song. 

Glad you did get a chance to stop in for a listen.   :D

Theronbo

Hi Guys,
    I have two dual Servos ( both pointing forward) with the Duratek coating on them in black and am moving them into my main rig to complement my Spatial X-3's which are in a Matte White finish.  The subs are currently looking very DIY....they are from the standard flatpack from Jay.

Goal of this project is to :
1.  change the finish to white or perhaps a different color but not the Duratek black as that has very low WAF. 
2.  Improve the aesthetics of the subs as much as possible.
3.  Also I need to make grills for them as well. 

Question:
1.What is the best method to get my speakers matte white? 
--Sand and repaint?
--sand and wrap with a matte white wrap?
----how easy is it to sand the Duratek?

My 2 cents.

Simplest approach: Buy a dozen cans of Rustoleum American Accents Stone spray paint

Spray directly over the Duratek.

Stuff has a texture also… result on top of Duratek might be interesting.

Otherwise… buy new flatpack… veneer.

Glady86

This could be a very easy solution....can I apply the white duratek over the black ? what prep is needed?

Id think you'd be fine to do that. The stuff sands easily, at least it did for me before it was completely cured. I used three coats and lightly sanded with 180 or 220 grit sand paper. I sanded affter the first and second coat and rolled till I got a finer mostly consistent texture. The trick was learning when the Duretex was getting  to dry to roll over again. Id try a test sample, coat a piece of mdf with the black Duratex let dry and top it with white, it may take a couple coats to look good.

Nick B

I've thought before about using a hammered metal finish. My Supratek preamp has it in a gun metal gray and I think it looks good. If I ever try it, it would be a blue or a maroon if it's available. How that would look over Duratex, I have no idea....

morganc

Id think you'd be fine to do that. The stuff sands easily, at least it did for me before it was completely cured. I used three coats and lightly sanded with 180 or 220 grit sand paper. I sanded affter the first and second coat and rolled till I got a finer mostly consistent texture. The trick was learning when the Duretex was getting  to dry to roll over again. Id try a test sample, coat a piece of mdf with the black Duratex let dry and top it with white, it may take a couple coats to look good.

Thank you....can I ask a few questions? What was the rough time frame when the sanding was ideal and before the duratex cured?  I know this will change depending on temperature and humidity but just curious if this is hours or days?

Glady86

In 70 degree 65% humidity basement, It was dry enough to sand after about 2 hours. It dries pretty quickly. I don't know how long it takes to fully cure.

DonS

I found turning the lights off works best..

Whereabouts in Arizona are you?

BrandonB

I found turning the lights off works best..

Whereabouts in Arizona are you?

That's funny.  They grow on you the more you look at them

Early B.

Goal of this project is to :
1.  change the finish to white or perhaps a different color but not the Duratek black as that has very low WAF. 
2.  Improve the aesthetics of the subs as much as possible.
3.  Also I need to make grills for them as well.

Did you decide on a course of action yet?