New look web site

Danny Richie

New look web site
« on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:10 am »
www.gr-research.com

Let me know what you guys think.

I got rid of the java scripted scrolling tool bar so navigation should be much easier. Special thanks to Dave Hollabaugh for the updates.

If you have any viewing issues please let me know.

brj

New look web site
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:34 am »
I take it that Java is required now?  I haven't yet installed a recent Java on my current system, and I get nothing but a left-hand column of options.  If I click on one, it opens a new window with what I'm guess is the content that should appear in the main section of the browser page.  (I'm running Firefox.)

I'll go grab the latest Java and see what happens...

suits_me

New look web site
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:06 am »
Well, as of 11pm est you took it down. I viewed source and there's nothing but the blue background.

That's the hazard of starting a thread on the new site here, and then going and working on it, but forgetting to come back and tell us. ; )

Gotta love them internets!

bubba966

New look web site
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:10 am »
Quote from: suits_me
Well, as of 11pm est you took it down.

Works fine for me right now.

Looks/works much better than the old one. Though the finished speaker page for the AV-3 still has the croll bar at the top of the page.

wshuff

New look web site
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:11 am »
Just a proofread comment.  Diluceo is spelled Duluceo under the archived models in the left-hand column.

Bizarroterl

New look web site
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:37 am »
I use Opera as IE has been reported as insecure by CERT, plus IE is glacially slow by comparison.  
With Opera I get a slider bar that allows me to scroll the logo and the DIY Kits menu.  With Firefox I get the same (no slider bar).  In both cases the panel on the right (with the fade in/out speaker models) does not appear.

Al Garay

New look web site
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2005, 05:20 am »
Ditto what last person said. Navigation is worst now when using Opera and marginally better when using IE. I actually prefer your prior site.

Al

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
New look web site
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2005, 05:30 am »
The site works just fine for me.

My only suggestion is to keep things in the same window as that is the standard for a website.  New windows opening for every section is a wee bit annoying.

Other than that, the site looks and works great for me.

By the way, I am using FireFox and it's perfectly fine.

ooheadsoo

New look web site
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2005, 05:53 am »
Quote from: heavystarch
The site works just fine for me.

My only suggestion is to keep things in the same window as that is the standard for a website.  New windows opening for every section is a wee bit annoying.

Other than that, the site looks and works great for me.

By the way, I am using FireFox and it's perfectly fine.

Try viewing the page in IE and you'll know what it's supposed to look like :)

Kramer

New look web site
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:38 pm »
New windows opening for every section is a wee bit annoying.

Yes, very annoying.  I still get missing plug-ins, and "tabs" dont work that well (and thats the reason why I only use Mozilla).

Why cant web sites be simple and efficient? We are not all 13 year-olds surfing around on cable modems with the full compliment of Microsoft plug-ins and AOL doo-dads.

Try viewing the page in IE

Uh, no thanks.

Danny Richie

New look web site
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:50 pm »
Okay guys I'll get David on it.

I want it to be simple and work well for everybody. Since it worked fine for me using Internet Explorer I wasn't aware of any problems.

Thanks to all of you.

cryoparts

Firefox
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:13 pm »
I can view it fine with IE, but not Firefox.  Not getting anything but the left side menu.

Regards,

Lee

Danny Richie

Fixes
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2005, 04:03 pm »
Okay, David made a bunch of changes to get it to work with those other browsers.

Any problems now? Let me know what you think, and thanks for the feedback guys.

cryoparts

Re: Fixes
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2005, 04:23 pm »
Quote from: Danny
Okay, David made a bunch of changes to get it to work with those other browsers.

Any problems now? Let me know what you think, and thanks for the feedback guys.

Looking good!

Regards,

Lee

Al Garay

New look web site
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2005, 06:55 pm »
That looks better with Opera 8.0. The home page does not display the gif images like it does in IE. The text formating also seems off on the home page in both Opera and IE.  Look at the left-alignment. The words do not line up on the left margin.

Also, you might want the links to favorite places to open the URL in a new window. That's up to you. I prefer to close the link and still have the parent site up on my browser. And with Opera, the site is just another tab not a full new session of IE.

brj

New look web site
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:18 pm »
Better!

One thing I noticed... sub menus get reset once you make a selection (in Firefox 1.0.2).  For example, if I select "Drivers -> M130", the proper page will load  in the main panel, but the "Drivers" menu closes to hide all of the options.  You probably only want to close submenu listings if you chose another main menu option.

Is it just me, or does the site appear a bit slow?  When I select new menu options, there is a definite pause before loading the main page.  I'm at work with a fat internet connection and have all of the Firefox speed tips implemented.  As a result, I don't think the issue is on my end, but I'll check again when I get home (to my DSL connection and Firefox).  This certainly isn't a show stopper, just another (constructive) comment.  Of course, it could be the flood of AC members hitting your server! :)

ooheadsoo

New look web site
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2005, 01:52 am »
Quote from: Kramer
Try viewing the page in IE

Uh, no thanks.

Sorry, but I wasn't typing to you.

Looks like the site basically works with firefox now except that:
-the side window doesn't stay open after clicking on a sub item
-the main page's picture doesn't fade from one to another, it just snaps
-likewise, the side menu doesn't have the transition animation

Looking good!

Danny Richie

New look web site
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2005, 02:20 am »
Okay, I'll try some new stuff tomorrow.  :D

It will get better.

HChi

New look web site
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2005, 04:57 am »
On the main page, the pictures of archived speakers such as Alpha LS, Diluceo, and Criterion looked very coarse and pixelated.  Is it meant to look like that?  Also when click on the picture, it didn't take the user to the right archived speaker page.  Both hold true under IE and Firebox 1.0.3

Danny Richie

New look web site
« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2005, 08:33 pm »
Okay, how's this.

The front page now has a few standard pics. No more scrolling pictures or single window pics that fade in and out. It is a little more simplistic now.