WTB Phy-HP

jetpack

WTB Phy-HP
« on: 12 Jun 2023, 07:11 am »
I've been thinking about trying some Phy-HP drivers for some time -- either the big ob coax or the smaller wideband. I just can't convince myself to shell out the full-price E for them. Thought I'd take a punt and see if any AC members have some used ones that they are looking to move on. Many thanks for any responses!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: WTB Phy-HP
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2023, 10:29 pm »
I've been thinking about trying some Phy-HP drivers for some time -- either the big ob coax or the smaller wideband. I just can't convince myself to shell out the full-price E for them. Thought I'd take a punt and see if any AC members have some used ones that they are looking to move on. Many thanks for any responses!
I just can't convince myself to shell out the full-price E for them.
Why not ? Do you already seen the Rullit, AER or VoxAc prices?
Until today I have never seen a used PHP for sale, I don't sell my Nirvanas, who have a PHP doesn't sell, they are know by the good sound, specially the Alnicos.

An PhyHP 12'' Alnico FR for €1250 and a coaxial for €1590 are not expensive.
I suggest you take a copper coaxial 12'' pair while they still exist, especially after Bernad passing.

If cash is a prob see the Lii Audio F12/15.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2023, 02:20 am by FullRangeMan »

jetpack

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2023, 07:23 am »
I just can't convince myself to shell out the full-price E for them.
Why not ? Do you already seen the Rullit, AER or VoxAc prices?

Truthfully, I question the real-world value in the price. I'd be tarred and feathered if I started a discussion about the societal role of "luxury goods" on a hifi forum, so I won't!!

This is obviously an objective personal perspective.... and who's to say what the value of something is other than to say what we are each willing to pay. I'm willing to pay about half or 3/4 of the published Phy-hp price.

As for the Lii, I'm entirely not interested. Again, just personal perspective and personal preference. If I went to a single cone with whizzer, I'd get a 12" or 15" EMS.

@FullRangeMan, thanks for your post! I appreciate your efforts on this forum over the years.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2023, 08:08 pm »
Gracias. I think you will be well served with the EMS drivers too.
Personally I prefer the Phy 12'' FR + the Coaxial tweeter, it a better solution than the usual standard hi-fi 2-way formula, largely praised by the paid audio press.

The PHY-HP materials are more expensive than the usual materials FR drivers use, like Alnico and Brass chassis and big cone ring, too bad or maybe too good for us Phy-HP yet are a very small company since Bernard started it.
Keep us posted.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2023, 11:02 pm by FullRangeMan »