Desert Island CDs

G

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2005, 01:05 am »
Quote from: DeadFish
Well, I might as well join in this thread before the points get away from me...
You've all got great taste so far, and my list underlines or embellishes, I hope.
First, Scott and orthobiz: "It's a desert topping AND a floor wax!"
The current cd version I have has Apostrophe & Overnight Sensation, and you both get your way and me too.  :wink:
This stuff is in no particular order, but a current playlist that frequents some stuff I listen to gear with, as in:

Beyond the Mo. Sky - Metheny-Hadyn (thanks  ...

What?! No Wooten?

G

Re: Too Long, Don't Read!
« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2005, 01:07 am »
Quote from: orthobiz
Some random thoughts about radio:
At work there's an opportunity to play music in a mixed crowd of five or six people. Problem is I personally get so much new stuff that I like but this music doesn't seem to fly with the group.

So I've realized that new music is like new food to a kid and most people in America are stuck in the "chicken fingers/grilled cheese/macaroni and cheese" phase where any new taste is intolerable. It's one of those things where if they haven't heard it before then they can't list ...

Ramble on friend. I agree with every word.

G

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2005, 01:09 am »
Quote from: elcaptain88
This is one of the reasons I'm considering getting satellite radio at home. I've been using XM in the car and absolutely love it. I'm a fan of the 80's, hard/classic rock, and jazz channels. Just a flip of the dial & you have it.  Absolutely indispensible for the morning commute - commercial (& news) free. Heck, if got XM, I could even listen to Cardinal games if I got the urge.  :lol:

The only station I listen to regularly here in Chicago is 93.1 WXRT - but even they are loaded down with commercials an ...

Do they have home receivers with a digital out yet? If I can't use my DAC I don't want to bother.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Desert Island CDs
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2005, 04:38 am »
Quote from: Mike D
Lonewolf,

I just looked at your gallery.  Thank you for posting it.  Very nice, indeed.  

Just one question: What is up with that Harlots of 42nd street picture?  Who are they and Why?
Hello Mike D,
    The Harlots of 42nd. Street were a Glitter Rock/Street Rock group I formed in NYC in the 1970's. I was the lead guitarist. In the color photo, the guy in the blue/silver lame suit is me... :guitar: [/list:u]
      The shot in the gallery is a picture taken by Levi at Emil's Rave. I played some of our old recordings at the Rave....and brought the photo's.[/list:u]
        I posted the picture as a link for a few sites....I still get requests for any pic's or music....and from all over... :? . It was a long time ago....
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=The+Harlots+of+42nd.+Street&btnG=Google+Search[/list:u]
    Chris[/list:u]

Marbles

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:02 am »

WOW!!! nice shoes 8)

"I made sure to talk to them after the show (groupie mentality already been blossoming from hanging out with a NYC band called The Harlots of 42nd Street)."

Money for nothin and your chicks for free!!  Very Cool!

"Then the scene moved to Max's Kansas City—we would hang out get drunk and have a party every night. In the back room would be the Dolls, Mott the Hopple, David Bowie, Kiss (who my guitarist from DUST proceeded their first 2 albums) and bands who were popular at the time like The Harlots of 42nd Street, Teenage Lust etc. But the one person who was more outrageous than all the Glam rockers was Wayne County. He was a transsexual from Georgia who wore fishnet stockings, baby doll negligees and a ton of make-up."

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Too bad you never laid tracks on vinyl, do you have any recordings from those days?

lonewolfny42

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:18 am »
Hey, I still have those platforms...red satin....nice !!! :lol:
    We had a single out on Sunburst Records....it was a bad contract. The music I played at the Rave was on cassette....studio recordings....so-so quality...surprised the tapes still held together.[/list:u]
      Best sound...was live performance. There....live... we really rocked !!! It was fun...lots of traveling, meeting many people.....and lots of friendly "groupie's" !!! Got to exchange lots of....lipstick... :lol: [/list:u]

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
Desert Island CDs
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:22 am »
Electricbear, I love ya man, for this one:

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

In that vein, more or less, I add:

Peter Gabriel - Security
Juanes - Fijate Bien
Jethro Tull - (flip a coin)
Al Di Meola - Tour De Force Live
Robert Plant - Now and Zen
King Crimson - Vroom Vroom
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Santana - Supernatural
Was (not Was) - What Up Dog?

Alternates -
The Who - Who's Next
Electronic - Electronic
Yes - 90125
U2 - War
Rush - Presto
REM - Document
Marillion - Clutching at Straws
Peter Gabriel - So
Melissa Etheridge - Never Enough
The Cranberries - No Need to Argue

electricbear

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2005, 08:21 pm »
now we're talking John. How about my namesake
 Derek Dick and his amazing electricbear. Derek Dick aka Fish has some awsome solo works. I've seen him live , he puts on one hell of a show. I have about 7 or. 8 Marillion picture discs on my 2 channel room walls

drummerwill

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:10 am »
About radio, I remember when KSHE first went on air, you can hear everything from Hendrix to Wheather Report.

Top picks no Order

Anything Yellow Jackets
Miles Smiles
Bos Skaggs - Come on home
Stanley Turrentine - Sugar
Steve Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble
Al Dimeola - Kiss My Axe
Gregg Howe Victor Wooten Dennis Chambers
Brand X - Product
Eric Johnson- Ali Via Muiscom
Vinnie Colaiuta - Stertch

Willie

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
Desert Island CDs
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:48 am »
Quote from: electricbear
now we're talking John. How about my namesake
 Derek Dick and his amazing electricbear. Derek Dick aka Fish has some awsome solo works. I've seen him live , he puts on one hell of a show. I have about 7 or. 8 Marillion picture discs on my 2 channel room walls

My niece is named Kayleigh, after the song, and was born, I believe, on Derek Dick's birthday.  

Marillion - music for Scorpios :)

I'm really pissed off about that stupid Steve whathisname that replaced Fish.  What a pitiful singer he is.  Marillion might as well be renamed Whitesnake now.

Marbles

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:57 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Hey, I still have those platforms...red satin....nice !!! :lol:
    We had a single out on Sunburst Records....it was a bad contract. The music I played at the Rave was on cassette....studio recordings....so-so quality...surprised the tapes still held together.[/list:u]
      Best sound...was live performance. There....live... we really rocked !!! It was fun...lots of traveling, meeting many people.....and lots of friendly "groupie's" !!! Got to exchange lots of....lipstick... :lol: [/list:u]

Chris, somehow I beleive you on the Live sound thing.

Do you still have any tapes of those performances?

(Got to exchange lots of....lipstick... )  That's so funny... you can't see it but I'm laughing to myself as I type this  :lol:

Mike D

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2005, 12:41 pm »
Lonewolf:

I can't really say you're what the kids would call "cool", but I can definately say you are cool to me.  :lol:  Lipstick exchanges and red platforms!  Wow.  You must come to St. Louis and visit some time.  Bring some of your cassettes.  

In a recent GAS get together, Scott - our captain, had 5 different systems set up.  I'm sure we could get a really nice cassette system set up for your arrival.   :)   I have a top of the line Sony 400 head cassette player just sitting in antisi...........................pation of your glory tunes.

Thank you for the great pictures and laughs.  

-------------------------------

My work has blocked the audiocircle page from our server.   :cry:   This means my response times will be considerably slower for a while.  Can't say I blame them though.

jetboy

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:45 pm »
We had a single out on Sunburst Records....it was a bad contract. The music I played at the Rave was on cassette....studio recordings....so-so quality...surprised the tapes still held together.
Best sound...was live performance. There....live... we really rocked !!! It was fun...lots of traveling, meeting many people.....and lots of friendly "groupie's" !!! Got to exchange lots of....lipstick...  

Of all the great 'lost' bands of the early 70s NYC rock scene, the Harlots are one of the most requested bands (on some of the boards that I frequent) as far as info goes. In fact, there's currently a push to find and save any audio from the period and put it to CD before the original tapes degrade/get lost and are lost forever.

Those I've spoken to who saw/heard the Harlots say they were one of the best unsigned bands in NYC, and those of you who heard their music are the priveliged few.

lonewolfny42, if you read this..............I've spoken to many people who remember the band fondly. I hope you get your tapes transferred to CD, as they really ought to be kept as a rare audio reminder of what early 70s NYC glitter rock was all about. I've all but given up ever locating a copy of or hearing the "Cool Dude & Foxy Lady/Spray Paint Bandit" single, but one day I hope to hear the Harlots' music. In fact any info on the band would be gratefully accepted, as I still know very little and would love to know more. I know it was a long time ago and all, but I'd love to hear from you if possible via PM or email.

Peace & rock'n'roll. :mrgreen:

jetboy

lonewolfny42

Re: Eric Emerson & Magic Tramps-link to the Harlots of 4
« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2005, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: jetboy
http://www.magictramps.com/home.htm
Thank you jetboy for the link...I'll take a look. :guitar:

jetboy

Desert Island CDs
« Reply #35 on: 22 Aug 2005, 01:20 am »
You're welcome.

Your input at the Tramps' forum is gratefully accepted, given your experience and knowledge on the scene. Please drop in from time to time and share your thoughts with us.

Stay cool 8)

Peace & rock'n'roll :guitar: