Anyone built the 'Conditioner' ?

erimille

« on: 22 Apr 2005, 08:20 pm »
A while back, Jim sent a pointer to his DIY AC conditioner [1]

I was tempted on the spot to order the parts and build a couple of these. I promised myself, however, I wouldn't start anymore projects until I finished my workshop :( ... Months later, I'm almost done. And while the project "to-do" list has gotten quite long,  Jim's AC conditioner has been very high, if not top, on the list.

So... has anyone  (other than Jim :) ) built one of these? Any feedback on differences this has made? Suggested mods, etc. that others found to work are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help (and special thanks to Jim for the plans!),

--eric

[1] http://www.vacutrace.com/pdf/conditioner.pdf

erimille

Re: Anyone built the 'Conditioner' ?
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2005, 08:57 pm »
Quote from: erimille

So... has anyone  (other than Jim :) ) built one of these? Any feedback on differences this has made? Suggested mod ...

Wow... that request went over well :wink:

Regarding modifications, I was thinking more specifically of stagering the power to these switches and being able to sequentially turn on / off amp, preamp, components, etc.

Any tips on how this might be accomplished?

Jim, can you compare running your gear with / without this conditioner?

--eric

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2005, 10:31 pm »
Eric,

You could always use switches after the first line filter and before the others.  That way you can have one switch per output filter.  I like the back-to-back filter approach because it both isolates line and components from each other.  

Never tried listening to differences with/without.  Can't do anything right now, got CD player in lab talking to a HAGDAC, and my TT in factory.  The agony of manufacturing - listening interrupted.  Have to admit, whenever I do get a chance to sit down and relax, last thing I want to do is a/b comparisons.  Theoretically, I'm supposed to be making audio fun again!

jh :wink:

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2005, 04:16 am »
Eric, you are starting to sound like a 'volunteer.'
 :wink:
Enquiring minds wanna know, ya know...
I've been saving up for a pair of cymbals myself, but I'm still interested.
I'd appreciate you doing the favor if you build this to let us know.

Regards,
DeadFish

erimille

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2005, 02:52 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
Eric, You could always use switches after the first line filter and before the others.  That way you can have one switch per output filter.  I like the back-to-back filter approach because it both isolates line and components from each other.  

Yep, thats the thing I first noticed from your design. I like this idea as well.

Never tried listening to differences with/without.  Can't do anything right now, got CD player in lab talking to a HAGDAC, and my TT in factory.

Oh! Could you clarify that last bit for me. Are you thinking of making availiable a DIY Turtable or has yours broken and currently in repair?

The agony of manufacturing - listening interrupted. Have to admit, whenever I do get a chance to sit down and relax, last thing I want to do is a/b comparisons.

Understood :)

Theoretically, I'm supposed to be making audio fun again!

Well the 'conditioner' and the UFO are very high on my list and definitely constitute fun in my book :) The only reason i've put the UFO second is I'm not quite done restoring my old lathe [1] which I need to turn some very nice bloodwood to fancy up your record clamp! :)

--e

[1] http://potlach.org/2004/12/lathe/

erimille

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2005, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish
Eric, you are starting to sound like a 'volunteer.'
 :wink:
Enquiring minds wanna know, ya know...
I've been saving up for a pair of cymbals myself, but I'm still interested.
I'd appreciate you doing the favor if you build this to let us know.

Regards,
DeadFish

Ah yes... I'm very familiar with the "no good suggestion goes unpunished philisophy" as I too use this often :) My plans are to start this in the next couple week. I'll report back periodically and provide updates.

--e

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2005, 07:41 pm »
My Thorens 124 is in the hagtech factory (next to the lab), used for auditioning each phono stage that goes out the door.  After checkout on a scope, I listen to each stage for sonics & noise before it goes into a box.  

Suppose this is a good excuse for another table...

jh :wink: