6Moons M-H2O Signature Review

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2005, 07:36 pm »
Vince,

While agree to a certain point with what your "expert" said (just owning it since June '02 doesn't make him an expert btw) I highly doubt that I would get a radically different measurement going from the H20 to the DNA-500 (which is also a very powerful amp).  It's not like I went from a 4 watt SET tube amp to the H20...

Getting back to the sound...

Just move on and accept the fact that I didn't particularly like the sound of the amp.  I was not alone in thinking this way during both auditions, but again so what!!

Does this mean it isn't a good amp?  Nope.

It simply means that some of us didn't care for its sound.  I have auditoned lots of gear that others didn't like and loved it, while disliking some of the media and board darlings.

How about you simply let me have my opinion and stop trying to poke holes in why I don't think highly of the amp?  I would hope that since my view is based on listening to the amp that I would not have to keep defending my thoughts.

George

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:43 am »
The stereo H20 George heard was mine. I don't doubt that redoing the TacT curves for each equipment change might make some minor difference. I wondered this in regard to some cables we tried.

However, as amps were swapped I found my H20 to sound quite similar at his place as it does in my system even given a different preamp, speakers and cabling. I also recognized the McCormack house sound. I owned a .5 DNA. The DNA 500 is the best sounding McCormack I have heard. I thought it a little lean compared to the H20 and the Butlers. Where it really stood out was in dynamic range. The stereo H20 and a pair of Butlers configured as mono blocks could not compete in this area. I  would not know anything was missing dynamcially until I heard the same discs played on the DNA-500. Perhaps the H20 monos would compete but I think the DNA may still have a power advantage.

I thought the Butlers threw the most convincing image. I thought the H20 had the best liquidity and midrange harmonic reproduction.

I can accept that every person who heard these configurations had different impressions and preferences. I sleep well.

I am glad that Henry Ho is getting some postive recognition and have no buyer's remorse. Will I keep the H20 forever? Who knows - well, I tend to keep even equipment I have replaced for a while...

BTW, I had modified my H20 because I felt  it could be improved using better quality bypass caps. I can hear the improvement. I am confident Henry can do better and will probably get the Signature upgrade at some point.

Vince - maybe you can describe your front end a bit - Have you compared it to a TACT front-end?

Bob

Mad DOg

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:52 am »
Quote from: muralman1
What professional reviewer do you feel comfortable with?

hello vince,

the only reviewer i trust is myself! :wink:

Mad DOg

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:59 am »
The H2O is a special case. It is ultra sensitive to power cords, front ends, and preamps. I would prefer someone come over to my well honed system to listen to my H2O Signatures, rather than take the amps with me elsewhere, where the amps will magnify unfriendly components.

if someone goes over to your place to listen to the amps in your well honed system, it doesn't tell them how it's gonna sound in their system. if it is super finicky to PCs, linestages and sources, that'd mean the only way for them to replicate that sound is to sell all their gear and purchase the same gear as you're using to get the same results. this would be highly unlikely of course. so that's why i say you've got to hear a piece of gear in your own system to know what it's gonna sound like.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2005, 01:26 am »
Quote from: Bob Wilcox
The stereo H20 George heard was mine. I don't doubt that redoing the TacT curves for each equipment change might make some minor difference. I wondered this in regard to some cables we tried.

However, as amps were swapped I found my H20 to sound quite similar at his place as it does in my system even given a different preamp, speakers and cabling. I also recognized the McCormack house sound. I owned a .5 DNA. The DNA 500 is the best sounding McCormack I have heard. I thought it a little lean compared to  ...

Well said Bob.

One of these days I am going to make it to your place to hear your system and the mods.

George

muralman1

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:11 am »
OK I see where you are going. Yes, I agree, the H2O didn't shine at Georges. That experience, in turn, only tells us it is a system thing. I have found the H2O to be very cranky with some power cables, not to mention passive preamps.

:D

BTW My TacT friend is a major player in the TacT forum. I was at his pace with an H2O prototype, and saw the curve divergence on his computer. It was dramatic in the bass region.

I've heard the Butlers, and I thought they were outstanding.

This thread is about the H2O Signatures, and their first review. I'm sorry to say, Bob, but the differences between the Signature, and the S-250 are not minor. Just as McCormack models don't sound the same. For some bucks, Henry can rework your amp into a more dynamic amp.

Frankly I am not climbing on the TacT band wagon. I don't care for them. I can listen to the music in it's full glory from any point in the room. Of course, that is a function of the Scintilla.

I am using a PSA Lambda running to a modified nonupsampling Audio Note DAC.

The H2O Sigs will be featured at the NY HE show.

alotaklipsch

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:44 am »
Personally, I agree, the only way to make judgement is in your own system, with your own ears.  Henry is a great guy, he is burning in a pair of H2o sigs for me for a 30 day trial, ya, I gotta pay up front, ya 5500, yada yada. If I do not feel it gives me what I want, I have 30 days to decide.  I just pay shipping.  This is fair, honest, and works for me.  This way I will hear in MY system, with MY source, with MY ears.  Than I can decide. :duel:

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2005, 04:04 am »
Vince

My point is that the stereo H20 sound was well within my expectations when we last auditoned it in George's system. I could pick out its character much as I could pick out the McCormack despite the differences between my system and George's. I do not feel it was handicapped in any way in George's system. George simply preferred the other amps.

My experiences with power cords have led to using a Wolff Gain cord on the H20. We also tried a Ven Haus Flavor 4(?) that day. I think the McCormack was using its stock 20 amp IEC cord. I also have tried a PS Audio Extreme, Absolute Power Cord and Acoustic-Reality. I like the Wolff better than those.  

George might like the Signature better but perhaps not. George was asking about the differences between the stock and Signature. George's system is pretty evolved as yours apparently is. He is always open to improving his system. Since this thread pertains to the Signature model and I believe that you are one of the few who have actually heard each model, please comment on the specific differences: stereo to mono, mono to signature in a little detail. This is different than theorizing why he does not prefer the stereo unit.

Correction capabilities aside, the Tact is a pretty resolving preamp. Do you use a linestage or have some other means of connecting to the amp?Do you think you are hearing the signature model to its full potential in your system?

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2005, 05:13 am »
Vince,
    When you find out.....Please post the room number where the new H2O amp will be at the HE 2005 show. I'd like to hear this model at the show.[/list:u]
      Thanks for the comments about the Butler's...they were mine.[/list:u]
        I was at both listening session's at George's. At the 1st. session, there was a slight problem with the H2O amp.Could really not get a handle on how it sounded....a channel kept shorting in and out. At the 2nd. session,the H2O sounded better, had no problems. As Bob stated, he had said that he performed some mod's to it. [/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

muralman1

« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2005, 04:11 pm »
Chris, the Lone Wolf,

I like your monicker. I heard a Butler powering Cabasse speakers in San Francisco. It was my favorite room.

The H2O Signature monos will be teamed up with Greek Analysis ribbon speakers in room 725.

Bob,

The Signature has upgraded everything. I'm not privy to the particulars. According to all, who have heard both, the Signature has more presence, and inner detail articulation. It also has cracking attack.

alotaklipsch,

Good move! I trust we can get your opinion of the Signatures here. Can I get you to put shielded power cords on everything? They can be cheaply made up using Belden bulk. Henry knows. The H2O will gently nudge you into system changes.

Vince

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2005, 08:37 pm »
Chris, the Lone Wolf,

I like your monicker. I heard a Butler powering Cabasse speakers in San Francisco. It was my favorite room.

The H2O Signature monos will be teamed up with Greek Analysis ribbon speakers in room 725.
Thanks !! I'll make sure I give that room a good listen !! :)

muralman1

« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2005, 08:45 pm »
Yer welcome!

:(  Eva Cassidy.... I have a video clip of her performing "Over the Rainbow" at Blues Alley. Sheer poetry.