Nutty Narwhal development Status

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Nutty Narwhal development Status
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2023, 04:07 am »
Good to know Chris. Thanks for posting.
By the way... everyone on this forum (almost everyone!) is asking what features it will have.
You must have a target design you’re working towards. Will you share the bullet points of the design goals with us?
I, for one, would like to know if we’re going to see it this year as promised.

Your work is very much appreciated by all us Bryston fans.
Thank you.

Id share our to-do list, but I'm not sure at what point it will be completed as it has 178 items on it prioritized from critical for launch, high, medium and low.

Development has been slower then I would like when we do work on it and lately Its also been just me developing OS3 rather then the plan of me and another developer from Axiom, GG. 

OS3 will have a similar feature set as Manic Moose, but you won't have to manually switch between MPD, roon ready, airplay as all services will be running simultaneously and allow for convenience switching.  Currently switching between roon and mpd works flawlessly.  Switching to and from airplay and Spotify connect exists and mostly works but still needs some work.  Convenience switching is something GG (axiom software developer) already has experience with, along with also already being familiar with Spotify connect and airplay SDK's, but he's been busy with other projects but I hope to get him back soon. 

OS3 should also launch with TIDAL connect support, we just recently recieved access to its SDK.  OS3 likely won't be release with Qobuz or TIDAL integrated into its media player interface at launch, cd ripping features and likely won't have the full complement of artist info gathering.  It's not that OS3 won't have these features it's a case of these features will be integrated after OS3's initial released.

We are leaning towards switching to upmpdcli to replace DLNA renderer and client features.  This has the benefit of using MPD to render UPNP content and accept commands from UPNP apps and shouldn't require any additional development. 

Some form of squeezebox support might come back, originally I wanted to drop it, but some customers have convinced me revisit this decision. 

One of the other things GG is pushing are fixed known structures for services to follow, which kind of means we can only implement projects that we can mold to fit a some what rigid shape.  Part of that "rigid shape" are a set of requirements for plugins like being able to browse and select content from different services.  This will be part of the base that will be used to add integrated TIDAL and Qobuz support back into the media player interface, but also allow third parties and end users to add services without necessarily relying on us and we hope to have a few examples available at launch.

Chris

alanford69

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2023, 03:31 pm »
Thank for the update Chris, your job is very much appreciated! Do you think that the new OS may somehow improve the sound quality of streamed files?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2023, 04:41 am »
Thank for the update Chris, your job is very much appreciated! Do you think that the new OS may somehow improve the sound quality of streamed files?

It shouldn't, but also didn't think there should be a difference between Roon Ready and MPD and these forums are filled with people who say otherwise and that's not to say I don't believe those people, I do believe that what they say is what they believe but that wasn't my intention but it is the result.  My intention with OS3 and one of the things I refuse to budge on now that I share making recommendations to the new owners is anything I feel might sacrifice audio quality and so far we are all on the same page.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #23 on: 9 Apr 2023, 04:06 pm »
Thank you, Chris, for your insight.

That is a very healthy list of potential updates!  With such complexity I'm sure it makes sense to focus on the operating system update and core functionality first.  Activating all services and the eventual Tidal Connect feature will be most appreciated here.  This will alleviate my concerns with the BDP3 being in the $5k streamer market and should increase resale value of our BDP2.

Stef Driver

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2023, 08:18 pm »
Thank you, Chris, for your insight.

That is a very healthy list of potential updates!  With such complexity I'm sure it makes sense to focus on the operating system update and core functionality first.  Activating all services and the eventual Tidal Connect feature will be most appreciated here.  This will alleviate my concerns with the BDP3 being in the $5k streamer market and should increase resale value of our BDP2.

Stef Driver

TIDAL Connect should either be a release feature or in one of the first immediate features.

Chris