New car opinions

rosconey

New car opinions
« Reply #40 on: 20 Apr 2005, 09:00 pm »
stay away from sabb-my step dad owned them for ever but when gm bought them they dragged them down quite a bit he said-

new magnum looks sweet

fabaudio

New car opinion
« Reply #41 on: 20 Apr 2005, 09:40 pm »
Consider a 1 or 2 year old BMW at a BMW dealership. You can always find one in fabulous shape with the remainder of a 5 year warranty and their service is great.

jackman

New car opinions
« Reply #42 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:00 pm »
I have a 2 YO BMW and agree with the suggestion.  It's a ton of fun to drive and has been very reliable.  The dealership is very cool and gives free washes.  I wax my car every three months and wash it at least once a week.  It looks better than new!

I'd try to get one with less than 30K if possible or at least something with mainly road miles and a 100K warrantee.  The only thing I regret is not getting the sport suspension.  My car handles very well but I recently drove one with the sport suspension and liked the handling even better.  The sport suspension will beat you up a bit on bumpy roads but it makes up for it on the twisty roads.  Plus, the seats are cooler, the sport suspension comes with 17" rims, and the steering wheel is sportier.  Don't get me wrong, I like the non-sport version a lot but I don't care for the rims.  

I am looking for a cool set of OEM split spoke rims and may use the stock ones for snow tires.

rmihai0

New car opinions
« Reply #43 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:10 pm »
I like very much how is looking Chrysler Pacifica. Besides that, I wouldn;t recommend ay European cars made in North America. For a new car I will look at Mazda 6. I know that some might argue about Toyota, Acura, LExus and so on. Mazda 6 is my top favorite Quality+Mantainace/Price wise.

Hantra

New car opinions
« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr 2005, 11:51 pm »
Quote from: jackman
I am looking for a cool set of OEM split spoke rims and may use the stock ones for snow tires....

Good luck.  If you find any let me know.  I've been looking for a set of style 68's in 17 with the Sport offset and it's near impossible to find a deal on them.   I need a set to replace mine b/c I have the curb rash (not my fault  :wink: ) and it pisses me off to look at it.  I'm scared to let the dealer use their "wheel repair guy" on it b/c I am afraid he'll get silver paint on my Arctic White, and then I'll have to snap.

JohnnyLightOn

New car opinions
« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:21 am »
Audi is no longer unreliable.  In fact, they make some of the best cars in the world.  Far better than any American-made car (unfortunately).  My wife has an A4 3.0 and it's fantastic.  We chose it over the BMW 330i, Acura TL, and Infiniti G35, and have no regrets.

However, I would not own one out of warranty.  That pretty much means buying new (the newer ones are best anyway), and they're are definitely pricey.

Jay S

New car opinions
« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:25 am »
If you buy a used 325 note that it has more hp than the older 323 (in the same body style) even if both have 2.5L engines.

rmihai0

New car opinions
« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:32 am »
I cannot compare the American made Audi with other American made cars. But I can compare it with the European made Audi, and, unfortunatelly is nowhere close. If it is still good the American made? Maybe - If you say so.

JohnnyLightOn

New car opinions
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:42 am »
The Audi A4 is built in the U.S.?  I am pretty sure my wife's A4 is from Germany, but I can look on the door panel to see.  It has my favorite interior of any car, so if it's made in the U.S. I am proud of our workers!

Hantra

New car opinions
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:53 am »
The only problem with Audi is that they always have to be on the BLEEDING EDGE of technology.  I mean they do things that other car companies only do years later.  

This is cool and all, and perhaps it helps them win races, but it terrifies me as a prospective buyer.  Let's face it, Audi doesn't have the best track record of reliability between all other European makes.  That's already one strike.  Using cutting edge technology is another with Audi.  The people who really even know about 5 valve technology or no-weld roofs are probably buying the Audi's German counterparts as a whole.

That said, I am convinced that Audi's steptronic tranny is THE BEST of the breed.  Even SMG II, though faster than Ferarri's box, lags way behind Audi's system.  There again though, do you REALLY want to buy a car with TWO clutches. . .  from a manufacturer who doesn't have the utmost reliability record?  

Also the whole bubble look seems to be passe these days.  The bottom lip they are giving the new Audis is just not cool.

And I LIKE Audis.  So I'm not a hater.  I respect them, and I admire a few (S4, S4 Avant, S6, S8, A8) but I ain't gonna buy one.  And I've owned 2 VW's.

bubba966

New car opinions
« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:06 am »
I like Audi's as well. Grew up with 'em infact. Had a decent amount of time behind an A6 Quattro. Man did that thing handle great in wet ice or snow! And the interior was great too. But after being in a BMW, I'd much rather have one of those over an Audi. Though an S6 or S8 might be nice I still don't think they have the handling/ride/power/etc. combo down like BMW does as Jay mentioned a while back. Hell, I really don't think anyone has that combo down like BMW does.

Would I go for an A4 over a 325/330? Nope. I might go for an RS6 over just about any BMW, but I don't have $90,000 laying around for that.

Other than a couple of people here at AC, I've heard nothing but complaints about Saab's. Always breaking down from my experience/knowledge. And try find parts for them. :lol: Not to mention trying to work on one. :roll: No thanks.

I've known plenty of people that've been pleased with their Subie Legacy's. In fact most people I know that've owned them have had more than a couple of them since they love them so much. Though I wouldn't consider a Legacy to be stylish or impressive at all.

orthobiz

New car opinions
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:10 am »
VW R32. 4 wheel drive, tons of power, cool fairings/wheels/trimmings. Exclusivity. Under 30K. Newest one not quite out. Can fit four. It will swallow anything you want to transport, even a pair of RM40's! (I don't know this for sure, but I'll bet you can).

I just think the German styling is understated while the Japanese cars tend to have fins and gills and doodads that make them less desirable. I've had six VW's (currently a Touareg and that's if you count my 3 914 Porsches) and they've been reliable.

You'll love it and won't see yourself coming and going.

biz

Jay S

New car opinions
« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:17 am »
Jack,

You may want to check out Dinan's stage 1 suspension.  It replaces the spring and shocks.  I drove an E36 M3 with the Dinan suspension and was shocked that it had a smoother ride than stock!  I think it had to do with the Koni shocks, which are better quality than the stock parts from BMW (further, Dinan has them custom valved to match their springs).  Of course, handling was better too.  I think you are in the Chicago area?  If so, check out Leo Franchi at Midwest Motorsports up in the Northern Suburbs.  He may not remember me (I last saw him in '98).  He's a Dinan dealer.... get him to take you on a ride... he used to race professionally.  Back in 98 he had an E34 M5 with a 4.0L stroker motor and all the trick Dinan parts, plus a modded M3 Lightweight with the 321hp Euro motor.

JohnnyLightOn

New car opinions
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:20 am »
Hantra, great response and opinion on Audi.

VW R32 courtesy of orthobiz: May not have the same cache for non-car people that BMW, etc. does, but I think this is the single best suggestion of this whole thread, and there have been some good ones.  Test drive this one!!

We picked the Audi A4 3.0 over the 330i for two reasons: first, she doesn't drive a stick.  The auto 330i was just too slow!  (Reeally too slow.)  Her A4 has a CVT (continuously variable transmission) and kicks ass!  It's much, much quicker than a conventional auto trans in the 330i or in an Audi A4 Quattro.  Without that quickness, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.  Second, the interior of the 2004 330i just didn't feel like a luxury car.  I couldn't imagine paying $36,000 for it.  With a stick, the 330i has that magic handling and driver connection, and this would probably make it worth it.  But with the auto and the downgraded interior, it would feel like a waste to me.  Every time either of drives the A4, we feel like we're in a truly nice car.  It drips quality.  (And did I mention the CVT makes it as quick as a stick - and is butter smooth?)

jackman

New car opinions
« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:15 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
Jack,

You may want to check out Dinan's stage 1 suspension.  It replaces the spring and shocks.  I drove an E36 M3 with the Dinan suspension and was shocked that it had a smoother ride than stock!  I think it had to do with the Koni shocks, which are better quality than the stock parts from BMW (further, Dinan has them custom valved to match their springs).  Of course, handling was better too.  I think you are in the Chicago area?  If so, check out Leo Franchi at Midwest Motorsports up in the Northern S ...

Thanks Jay, I'll give him a call.  I am actually going to wait a year or so to have the work done.  I figure having the suspension upgraded will be fun when I get tired of driving it the way it is.  The suspension upgrade will keep things "new" and make me want to keep the car a couple more years!

Thanks,

J

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
New car opinions
« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:37 pm »
Carlman :
    I need something that at best impresses clients with a sense of taste, style, creativity...
    [/list:u]
      Working off that quote...I've found the car for you....something they will remember...[/list:u]
      [/list:u]
        The Scion xB....it's ugly...reminds me of the small cars in the circus...but you remember it...... :lol: [/list:u]

Soundbitten

New car opinions
      « Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:19 pm »
      Quote from: Andrikos
      No arguments that the Avalon is a comfortable, reliable ride but it's an old man's car.
      Carlman, are you old?  :wink:  :lol:  8)

yeah , you can always go for the young man's car...some uncomfortable , unreliable hyped up piece of crap   :P

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
      New car opinions
      « Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:30 pm »
      Quote from: Soundbitten
      No arguments that the Avalon is a comfortable, reliable ride but it's an old man's car.

yeah , you can always go for the young man's car...some uncomfortable , unreliable hyped up piece of crap   :P
      You forgot to add...the Bose stereo....blasting while cruising down the road....BOOM,BOOM,BOOM !!!......

8thnerve

New car opinions
      « Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:05 pm »
      You all may think I am crazy, but being a commuter right now would lead me to one, and only one car choice.  A Toyota Prius.  Once you stop laughing, note that I am not without appreciation for fine automobiles.  I have owned many cars, and nice ones at that.  A Porsche 911, several new Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti, Acura, Mazda, Nissan, Saab, Volvo, etc.  So I have a good idea of what is out there and their relative merits.

All that being said, with the level of traffic that there is now, the very impending monitoring systems which will effectively stomp down on "spirited" driving, the ridiculous price of gas, and an expected life of around 500,000 miles, this automobile may very well be the most ingenius piece of automotive engineering so far, sexy or not.  If Toyota would make more of them and every rental company in the US replaced their entire compact fleet with these we would reduce emmisions and consumption by a ridiculous degree in one year.  Of course that won't happen as both of these industries are run by the Oil Magnates, but wouldn't it be grand?

Come on, you wanted quiet, the motor isn't even ON when you are driving stop and go, it's more like a comfy golf cart.  Spend the $20K for a brand new one, then put in a Sirius tuner with CD and Bluetooth, upgrade the stereo so that you can enjoy decent audiophileish sound on your long commute, and get the navigation system so that you are always in control.  For $25K you have a high-tech, mobile sound room, that let's face it, drives pretty damn good.  It won't win any track races but when's the last time you needed that on your commute.  And if you are itching for fun on the weekends, spend $5K and get yourself a nice late-80s BMW 3 series convertible and drive around in style.

Our view of transportation needs to change.  It's never been easier to do, and franky I'm shocked that the Prius ever got made at all.

And you should get it now, because when gas hits $5 a gallon, (I have already seen $2.97 in Nashville for cripes sake) it'll be $30K instead.

Look at this interior...GORGEOUS!! :-)

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/prius/gallery/interior/large/photo_1.jpg">

And it doesn't look that bad, come on.

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/index/prius_mainlg.jpg">

Might as well get a head start....

Andrikos

New car opinions
      « Reply #59 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:47 pm »
      Quote from: Soundbitten

Hey, if he has a "young" back, he can take it...  :wink:
      No offense about the Avalon, I'm sure it's the best car in the world, BUT it is an old man's car... I don't see anybody recommending Buick and Olds... Do you?  :wink:  8)

8thnerve,
      I completely agree with you and I'm not lauging at all at your suggestion...
      My only reservation about hybrids is the battery system...
      NiMH batteries only last about 300-500 full discharge cycles.
      How many years is that? 3? 5? 7? 10? Who knows?
      And when it's time to replace them, they'll cost more that the blue book of the vehicle (i.e. ready for recycling).
      At this point in time diesels are more economical and reliable in the long run. Sure they spew NOx's because of the high sulphur US fuel but that's about to change in 2006. And a simple $2 urea additive will bring those NOx's down to zero.
      And don't get Heavystarch started about Biodiesel... :)