New car opinions

skrivis

New car opinions
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2005, 04:59 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
How about a 2 - 3 year old Audi A6 Quattro with the factory extended 100,000 mile six year warranty on everything?

The warranty really means "everything" including all service including oil changes, and they even pick it up at your door and deliver it back at no extra charge.

I've had at least one Audi in the family for the last 30 years with no regrets.  And when the roads get bad the Audi really gets going.  Safe, secure, awesome fit and finish, and comfortable.

Makes the oriental cars seem like little tin can s--- box jokes.

Frank Van Alstine

Funny, I've always though of Audi in just that way. :)

I guess I'm just remembering back when the Audi Fox was only marginally better than a Fiat.

I think I'd also look at a recent used Mercedes or maybe a Lexus. You can get some tremendous deals.

Somebody mentioned the Avalon, and that could be another good bet used.

The Germans don't have any monopoly on quality. They tend to hit higher price points, so that could account for some of it, although I've heard that German cars are more expensive in the US than elsewhere in the world.

My brother has owned a couple of used Mercedes, and my Mom currently has a C 280. I've been thinking of a Mercedes for my next car. An '02 C 240 is under $25K from what I've seen.

Here's one: http://www.autobytel.com/content/buy/lm/used/index.cfm/method/prform/UsedCarId/8903539/Dealer_id_int/157713/year_si/2002/newused/used/make_vch/Mercedes%2DBenz/model_vch/C/entered_postal_code_vch/44101/httpReferer/usedlist/displayMiles/24/dspCpo/0,0/city_vch/Cleveland/state_vch/Ohio

At 43K miles it's only lightly used. :)

F-100

New car opinions
« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2005, 05:11 pm »
Picked up a new 05 Camry LE for my wife couple weeks ago for $16000 + tax + lic fees, so OTD is a little bit less than $18K. She commutes 200 miles daily to west LA and the car get an average of 34 mph including freeway and bumper to bumper traffic. IMO, you get more bang for your buck with the Camry, especially with the $1K manufacturer rebate going on right now.

klh

New car opinions
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2005, 05:27 pm »
I'd be a little, and I do mean little, wary of Mercedes. Their QC has slipped in the last 5 or so years. Although I don't have one, my dad has two, and he has had to have them repeatedly serviced.

ctviggen

New car opinions
« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2005, 05:35 pm »
When I was looking to buy, I found Audi and BMW to be more expensive than other cars (e.g., Lexus IS300, Saab 9-3 Viggen) without much more or even less performance and fun factor.  The TT was fun to drive, though.  I chose the 9-3 Viggen for its combination of features -- hatchback, snow handling, seats, etc.  As for handling, I find that I can easily double the speed limit on any road I've driven on.  Heck, I've doubled the speed limit going up steep hills with several inches of unplowed snow in my FWD Saab.  I think that the FWD v. AWD v. RWD is more academic than reality, as I cannot come anywhere near the handling capability of my FWD car, unless it's taken to the track, which I've not done.

Soundbitten

New car opinions
« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2005, 05:51 pm »
I bought a Avalon demo model last year for 29 ( that includes tax too ) . It had 5,000 miles on it . Have you tried going this route  ? It is one sweet ride , most comfortable car I've owned . Long trips are not tiring as they use to be with my Subaru . The Toyota reliability factor made it a no-brainer too .

Andrikos

New car opinions
« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:07 pm »
No arguments that the Avalon is a comfortable, reliable ride but it's an old man's car.
Carlman, are you old?  :wink:  :lol:  8)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
New car opinions
« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:10 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
When I was looking to buy, I found Audi and BMW to be more expensive than other cars (e.g., Lexus IS300, Saab 9-3 Viggen) without much more or even less performance and fun factor.  The TT was fun to drive, though.  I chose the 9-3 Viggen for its combination of features -- hatchback, snow handling, seats, etc.  As for handling, I find that I can easily double the speed limit on any road I've driven on.  Heck, I've doubled the speed limit going up steep hills with several inches of unplowed snow in my FWD Sa ...

Drive an Audi S4 with good snows in bad weather and tell me if there isn't a big difference in terms of handling.

I also found that my overall handling was much better with AWD vs. FWD.

YMMV.

George

Hantra

New car opinions
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Carlman:
    I'd pretty much like BMW 3 series but I can't afford it...
    [/list:u]
      Would you consider a "slightly used" model... say 1 or 2 years old. It would be less costly than a new model. Or is your heart set on a "brand new" automobile ?  :) [/list:u]

BMW sold more Certified Pre-Owned last year than ANY other manufacturer.  With 100,000 mile warranty, there's just no going wrong.

jackman

New car opinions
    « Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:23 pm »
    I'm getting one of these as soon as they come out!  I love the styling and functionality of this "truck".  What do you think?  

http://www.trucktrend.com/future/concepts/112_0304_news_fj/

I don't know when it's officially available but hopefully in the winter of '05.  I hope it's not too small.

electricbear

new car
    « Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:31 pm »
    for a reliable car thats fun to drive and will get you anywhere in any weather look at subaru. The Legacy GT is one of the hot cars to have at the moment, for more versatility look at one of their wagons.

Andrikos

New car opinions
    « Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:37 pm »
    Quote from: jackman
    I'm getting one of these as soon as they come out!  I love the styling and functionality of this "truck".  What do you think?  

I don't know when it's officially available but hopefully in the winter of '05.  I hope it's not too small.

I LOVE the original FJ40 (the REAL LandCruizer) but this thing is HIDEOUS!!!
    I read in MT that the designer grew up raising pitbulls and he wanted to emulate their stance in the new design...
    Oh brother...
    Another BLOATED SUV a la Hummer...

jackman

New car opinions
    « Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:05 pm »
    Quote from: Andrikos

I LOVE the original FJ40 (the REAL LandCruizer) but this thing is HIDEOUS!!!
    I read in MT that the designer grew up raising pitbulls and he wanted to emulate their stance in the new design...
    Oh brother...
    Another BLOATED SUV a la Hummer...

Are you on crack?  This thing looks a lot like the original and has some features that make it a cool everyday driver.  I like the suicide rear doors (semi-suicide) and the styling.  It's also smaller than a Fourrunner and slightly larger than a Rav 4.  Its interior volume is similar to the Nissan Xterra, hardly a Hummer.  

Are you sure we are talking about the same truck?  I also like the FJ but, unless you live in a cabin in the woods, I don't think it would make a good everyday driver.  

Put down the crack pipe and take another look.  I'll have to check my link to make sure it's the FJ.

F-100

New car opinions
    « Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:41 pm »
    How about a Chrysler LeBaron ???:)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20050420/od_nm/odd_car_dc&sid=84439559

MIAMI (Reuters) - Fed up with his troublesome car, a Florida man fired five rounds from a semi-automatic pistol into the hood of the 1994 Chrysler LeBaron.

"I'm putting my car out of its misery," 64-year-old John McGivney said after the incident outside an apartment building in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, according to a police report that listed the car as "deceased."

McGivney surrendered to police, was jailed on a firearms charge on Friday and released on bond a day later. He told them the car had been giving him trouble for years.

"I think every guy in the universe has wanted to do it," the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Wednesday quoted McGivney as saying. "It was worth every damn minute in that jail."

bubba966

New car opinions
    « Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:45 pm »
    Carl,

From your list of what you've owned I'd guess you'd be plenty happy with a BMW 325. It should cost a bit less than a 330, and might get a bit better mileage. And a 325 should have as much go or maybe a bit more go than what you're used to driving.

You really ought to go give a 325 or 330 a ride. I'd take a guess that you'd find a way to be behind the wheel of one. I'm sure that if you find a nice CPO 3 series (which shouldn't be hard to do) that you'd change your mind on buying slightly used vehilces.

bubba966

New car opinions
    « Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:48 pm »
    Quote from: F-100
    How about a Chrysler LeBaron ???:)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20050420/od_nm/odd_car_dc&sid=84439559

MIAMI (Reuters) - Fed up with his troublesome car, a Florida man fired five rounds from a semi-automatic pistol into the hood of the 1994 Chrysler LeBaron.

"I'm putting my car out of its misery," 64-year-old John McGivney said after the incident outside an apartment building in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, according to a police report that listed the car as "deceased. ...

:rotflmao:

That's hilarious! That shoulds like most people I've known that've owned Chrysler products. Just that I've not known anyone to actually shoot the damn thing even though they wanted to...

Andrikos

New car opinions
    « Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:57 pm »
    Are you on crack?  This thing looks a lot like the original and has some features that make it a cool everyday driver.  I like the suicide rear doors (semi-suicide) and the styling.  It's also smaller than a Fourrunner and slightly larger than a Rav 4.  Its interior volume is similar to the Nissan Xterra, hardly a Hummer.  

Are you sure we are talking about the same truck?  I also like the FJ but, unless you live in a cabin in the woods, I don't think it would make a good everyday driver.  

Put down t ...

Who are you talking about?
    Jackman?
    I don't think he's on crack, but who knows...
    His response was a bit on the "substance abuse" side...  :roll:

jackman

New car opinions
    « Reply #36 on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:15 pm »
    Quote from: Andrikos
    Who are you talking about?
    Jackman?
    I don't think he's on crack, but who knows...
    His response was a bit on the "substance abuse" side...  :roll:

Okay, the first reading lesson is free but there is a charge for the next one...

Here is a quote from the article:

Dimensions and overall style will be much like this FJ concept but with a taller greenhouse and a different design relationship between the glass and the B-, C-, and D-pillars.

Doesn't look like it's Hummer size.  Also, styling is very close to the original, I think it's actually better looking than the original.  Did you even look at the link?

J

Andrikos

New car opinions
    « Reply #37 on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:29 pm »
    Jackman,
    I read the article in the print magazine MOTORTREND.
    When I said it's bloated like the Hummer, I didn't mean sheer size, I meant proportions...

Now take a few deep breaths and don't go calling people being on drugs because they don't like the same car you do...  :roll:

Carlman

New car opinions
    « Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:42 pm »
    The Legacy GT looks sweet.  However, according to the specs, the rear headroom is too tight to be comfy.  We shall see... That's my main problem with the Mazda6... you hit your head on the glass in the rear seat if you sit normally.

I love my wife's RAV4... but not for my daily driver... Too trucky for me.  I like good cornering, acceleration, and so on... Plus the mileage isn't great.  That new FJ will probably be very cool when it goes into production.

The Hummer is an excellent vehicle for its purposes.  Anything compared to it would be an excellent compliment in my opinion.

Back to cars, though... I may go sit in a Subie's backseat... and take a test drive... why not?  I survived the Honda Accord... blech.  

BTW... The '05 Avalon is not the '04.  If you haven't driven one, specifically the Touring model, you're missing a sweet ride... and while 'could be' an old man's car.. I could easily see it being a young man's car... ;)

The SAAB idea intrigues me as well... May be worth a look.  Isn't the latest Saab an Opel design?  Either way, I like it but miss the hatchback.

-C

Hantra

New car opinions
    « Reply #39 on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:57 pm »
    Can't believe we're talking about FJ40's.

FJ40 = 2 gallons per mile.   :lol:

Seriously though the 325 should get 30 on the highway without a doubt.  A friend has a 325 sedan and gets 25 around town.  I've driven several 325's and I don't miss my 330 when I get into the 325.  When I get back into the 330 is when I realize the power difference.  

It's like big amps versus small amps.  You don't really realize the power isn't enough many times until you put a big amp in!

Stay away from Saab.  It's the most comfortable cockpit I have ever sat in, but GM is seriously considering the axe for Saab in the US.  Considering they lost over a BILLION last quarter, that may come sooner than later.