Felicia Balancing PowerConditioner Constructor's Thread

Occam

Re: Felicia Balanced Power transformers availability in Cana
« Reply #120 on: 27 Jun 2005, 11:00 pm »
Fredly,

The only filtering components in Felica is the 2 transformers without which you don't get the balanced output and the cap(s) which eliminating sort of defeats its purpose. I really don't see anything you could leave out, and don't think combining your present Risch filters will get you anything. But that comment isn't based on actual experience.

Sadly, the US Priority Parcel shipping which allows shipping 4 of the BG transformers anywhere in the US for $8.70 doesn't extend to Canada. You can calculate the US international rates to Canada by going to www.usps.com and using the postal codes and weights. Each transformer weighs about 6lbs.

Sources in Canada would include
www.sayal.com
www.torontosurplus.com which is on Gordon Baker Road, and the last remaining surplus store on Queen Street, which was there last year when I visited. Its a great store and you never know what you'll find there.
And at retail there is partsconexion.com which has good prices for retail but are substantially more than the BG surplus transformers.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/transformers.html
their Hammond 185G28 @$36usd (under filament terminal 115-230v) is the exact equivalent of the Signal sourced transformer from BGMicro. If you spluge for that I'd get the 185G36 which is the same save for the 36v secondary which would give less losses due to the higher secondary.  
voltage. Alternatively, you could use a single transformer, the 185G230 whose dual 115/230 winding for both primary and secondary would allow you to provide about 88w rms balanced power but without the massive filtering of the dual transformer implementation. Not having tried it, I can't comment on what the results would be. Given Russ's comments above, the loading of the transformers impact the performance and are constrained above 50?watts.

EDIT - A1 electronics also carries the hammond 185 world series transformers in the 175va rating for $39can, and are located in Toronto -
http://www.a1parts.com/

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #121 on: 28 Jun 2005, 01:34 am »
I didn't see it posted here...so here is the latest pictures of the Felicia that Paul, Josh, and Larry are working on. It was at the NY Audio Rave gathering on Saturday, 6/25....at Phil's. :D
    [/list:u]
      [/list:u]

tianguis

More Cap Info
      « Reply #122 on: 1 Jul 2005, 09:38 pm »
      Folks:
             The other night, Occam and I and several others got together to listen to the Felicia and an Audience Adept Response in a system comprising Innersound speaks and amps, Sony SCD-1 and CAT SL-1 pre. Occam brought the "triple", so we could power source and pre. The results were close, but all preferred the Felicia.
             Since then, having dissected a BPT, I added some caps across the output terminals of the Felicia (which powers my modded Grounded Grid pre. Another Felicia powers a modded Teac 700 and CD-Pro2m.): .47 and .1 uf Auricaps, parallel. The difference is large. What I considered very good is now way mo' better. Focus and coherence are greatly improved. Dynamics are better, as are punch and impact. The improvement with this "tweak" was greater than choice of the main cap, bypassing, wiring, ERS, etc.
             I've also tried it with no bypass on the main can, just the caps across the output, and the sound was flat, dead and slow. Looks like this is a worthwhile addition to get the utmost out of the Felicia.

Regards,
      Larry Welsh

Marbles

« Reply #123 on: 1 Jul 2005, 10:50 pm »
      How hard would it be to add a 12v on/off trigger switch?

TIA

zybar

• Volunteer
      • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
      Re: More Cap Info
      « Reply #124 on: 1 Jul 2005, 11:08 pm »
      Quote from: tianguis
      Folks:
             The other night, Occam and I and several others got together to listen to the Felicia and an Audience Adept Response in a system comprising Innersound speaks and amps, Sony SCD-1 and CAT SL-1 pre. Occam brought the "triple", so we could power source and pre. The results were close, but all preferred the Felicia.
             Since then, having dissected a BPT, I added some caps across the output terminals of the Felicia (which powers my modded Grounded Grid pre. Another Felicia power ...

Man, I would love to hear a Felicia vs. the Runnings Springs Audio Duke and Haley I am using.

In my system, the RSA gear bested the BPT 3.5 Sig.

Want to come out to the suburbs?

george

Occam

« Reply #125 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:40 am »
      Marbles,

I've no idea how difficult it would be to add a 12v on/off trigger, as I don't know if you want a Felica powered component to be the trigger or to be triggered or a combo of both...... you've got to be more specific.

- Paul

Occam

« Reply #126 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:52 am »
      Zybar - Felicia sure as heck isn't going to power your Mcormack amps. As configured, each is constrained to powering components with less than approx 85 watts power, and I don't know the power consumption of your modded DVP S-7700 or tricked out Tact RCS 2.2x with Aberdeen power supply.
      Could you give some specific power consumption information?
      - Paul

zybar

• Volunteer
      • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
      « Reply #127 on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:38 am »
      Quote from: Occam
      Zybar - Felicia sure as heck isn't going to power your Mcormack amps. As configured, each is constrained to powering components with less than approx 85 watts power, and I don't know the power consumption of your modded DVP S-7700 or tricked out Tact RCS 2.2x with Aberdeen power supply.
      Could you give some specific power consumption information?
      - Paul

Let me check and get back to you.

George

Marbles

« Reply #128 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:37 am »
      Marbles,

I've no idea how difficult it would be to add a 12v on/off trigger, as I don't know if you want a Felica powered component to be the trigger or to be triggered or a combo of both...... you've got to be more specific.

- Paul

Paul, see this thread please:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=19978&highlight=

The Felicia would be the receiver and turn on or off depending on the signal from a pre-amp.

It does appear that the Felicia might not be the best power strip for amps....

Phil Townsend

Balanced Power supply finished...
      « Reply #129 on: 2 Jul 2005, 08:46 pm »
      Doing a smoke test now...so far so good.

I used the 20ufd 330 vac ASC cap and bypassed it with a Sprague Vitamin Q .47ufd @ 600v. The a smaller Vit Q Cap at .1 @600v and finally a .01 600v Auri Cap...

Its running my AM radio (25 watts)

Ill let it run an hour or so then plug it into A Samsung 841.

Ive got the parts to build 2 more...

The max power out is 85 watts... can I set up two in parallel and get 160 watts???

Occam

Re: Balanced Power supply finished...
      « Reply #130 on: 2 Jul 2005, 10:41 pm »
      Quote from: Phil Townsend
      The max power out is 85 watts... can I set up two in parallel and get 160 watts???

Yes. but I've no idea as to how well it would work. Personally, I think you'd be better off finding appropriate transformers with higher ratings. To date, I've not found any that meet my performance and cheap SOB criteria. My own needs for powering individual source components are adequately met with the present 2 transformer Felicia. As is, balancing performance is constrained by the fact that the primaries are not bi-filar wound. If you are to start paralleling the primaries, those potential mismatches can only get worse, and the initial experiments by Josh and myself with paralleled windings, prior to series connecting the windings with these specific transformers, alway led to humming transformers.
      I don't mean to dissuade you, but want to make it clear that if you pursue this, you're own your own. Nor am I in a position to even opine on the adequacy of larger transformers. Josh and I purchased and experimented with 7 different transformers before settling on the currently recommended Signal A41s.

tianguis

« Reply #131 on: 3 Jul 2005, 12:23 am »
      Phil:
             What Occam said. Congrats on keeping the smoke in.
      I'm currently building a quadruple Felicia (ugh- 60 pounds). The Felicia was never intended for amps, although it transformed my lightly modified Teac A-700LP. It cured the switching power supply grunge. It also works a treat on turntables, pre's, CDP's, DAC's.
              I tried Vitamin Q's (same values as yours) as bypass caps and found the sound to be dull and flat compared to Auricaps. I'm sure there are better sounding combos of caps, but I haven't found them (yet!). The additional caps across the output legs are very beneficial.

Regards,
      Larry Welsh

Phil Townsend

I have been listening to Felicitation for several hours.
      « Reply #132 on: 3 Jul 2005, 03:05 am »
      I am shocked!
      This is simply fantasic!

Starting from the bottom, the bass line:
      Tight and controled, no sloppness...very clear and simple. Easy on the ear.
      Mid range is the best I've heard in my home brew system. More on that later.
      I love the "Tone" the balanced supply has delivered. I'm not a sound stage junkie or one that wants super high rez. I want a preasant tone that wont piss me off and turn off my system. So I've got  wonderful tone AND I have rez without its edgeness. PLUS my speakers have simply vanished. Yea, sound stage without the fright.

Upper octaves:
      The Vit Q are not as fine as my Hovlands inbetween the trannies. But there is no way I'm gonna place the Hovlands in a power supply. ($$$) I do think the Auris are the way to go as well. So a call to parts Connection on Wed. .47 and .1 mikes will do the job...

My system:
      Im a horn guy. Im using the new Fostex 166ESR in the cab designed by Fostex for them...Yumm yum!  I like them beter and better every day.

I havent retired the older Fostex 206es...YET.

The spekers are driven by a very tweeked out Darling. BG caps, oil caps James transformers,  etc etc etc.... 3/4 watts per side. Big sound little power.
       I have at last count about a dozen CD, SACD, DVD players. All work and all have been modded by me. Most have been recapped, reclocked and reboxed. (Sheet metal sucks for Audio) I love maple for most audio work. Plus all players are damped to beat the band.
      Sony 777, Sony 333, AW Njoe Tjoeb, CEC belt drive transport, Yes and of course the Tosh 3950 and the Samsung HD841. ART DIO and ACK! DACK. And others

Plus RECORDS!

My preamp, when used is the Bottle head foreplay...yea I've tweeked it to death.

To date, I have never seen such a big change is sound for so very little money and time.

Gentlemen, A very big Thank You.

Onward to big Audio fun.

Phil
      Santa fe

P.S. Dynamics in spades

Phil Townsend

Caps accross the output side??
      « Reply #133 on: 3 Jul 2005, 03:11 am »
      Tell me more, tell me more!

What values etc.

Have any of you guys tried placing a third transformer into thr mix??

Phil
      Santa Fe

Occam

« Reply #134 on: 3 Jul 2005, 12:18 pm »
      Phil,

So tell us what you really think about Felicia  :)
      Josh, Larry and I are quite pleased with ourselves. I'm on the verge of becoming a legend in my own mind  :roll:
      As far as the bypass caps, post transformers (actually, on all bypass caps), Larry really is the goto guy. His only mention is on his post on the previous page (#13) under the nom de plume Tianguis.
      We've ordered more Auricaps for further experimentation, and much to our frustration, the .01uf Auricaps are back ordered.

Which of your components were powered by your Felicia upon which you based your comments? I think you'll find, as we have, that effect of  Felicias on different components is cummulative.
      Which version of that li'll Darling are you running?
      http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/darling.html
      Other than the 3.5, you might find that Felicia has sufficient moxie to power one. Or if your Darling is using multiple power transformers, you might be able to parcel out duties among multiple Felicias.

Felicitations,
      Paul

PS - I sent you a PM regarding your original question about parallel Felicias. Check and click your messages at the top of the page.

Occam

A general request
      « Reply #135 on: 3 Jul 2005, 01:07 pm »
      Does anyone have access to Vishay/ERO/Roe MKP1837 caps? I can't source them here in the States in quantities of less than 100s. If someone could buy them from RS (Radio Spares), .1 and .01uf versions, I could reimburse you though Paypal... Please PM me.

As configured, Felicia is running about 15vAC on the betwixt and between caps (the metallized polyprop in oil motor run and their bypass caps). This allows tremendous flexibility in the choice of capacitors as they don't have 120vAC line voltage accross them. I've configured a test bed Felicia with DPDT switches that allows me to compare, on the fly, different caps, and combinations. If anyone would like to lend me some caps for evaluation, I'd be more than happy to do so, and you can PM me.

We can do the same for post transformer bypass caps, switching them on the fly, so that same request extends to those also.

We've found that the best caps for this purpose are not to be X2 rated accross the line caps, and are therefore not guaranteed to fail 'open'.  These caps do have 120vAC running through them. Auricaps, even those rated at 600vDC are NOT X rated. As their failure mode may be a short, at minimum, you really must fuse the 'hot' input line of your Felicia. As many household outlets are misswired with hot and neutral reversed, both lines should have fuses/breakers. Otherwise, at best, you'll destroy the input transfomers primary windings, at worst, you'll burn down your house and possilby kill someone.

The assumption is that anyone building the Felicia project is familiar with and competent in standard safety precautions in working with these potentially lethal voltages. I cannot, and am unwilling to attempt to teach these standard procedures on this board. Go to the library. Consult with your electrician or PE. If you are unsure of your competence, DO NOT attempt this project!

tianguis

Output Caps, etc.
      « Reply #136 on: 3 Jul 2005, 01:31 pm »
      Phil:
            Your impressions of what you hear with the Felicia closely parallel what everyone seems to hear. Additionally, the effect is cumulative: more Felicias on more components = more of the same.
             I demo'ed an early Felicia at a NYC get-together in May and used it to power a Sophia Baby amp, so it probably has enough steam for your Darlin.
            The caps I use on the output tranny at the moment are a .47 and .1 Auricaps. I ran out of .01's, which I will put in when I get them.
             Try it on your modded Tosh DVD. I think you'll be impressed. Your system sounds very similar in concept to mine. I'm using Lowther ML Tl's, Transcendent Grounded Grid, CD-Pro2M (both modded and damped), Redpoint/Galibier/Teres hybrid TT  and various amps, Tripath at the moment. The Felicia has transformed them all and is the single most significant improvement to my system I've ever experienced.

Regards,
      Larry Welsh

Phil Townsend

Gonna hook up the Darling tonight! nt
      « Reply #137 on: 5 Jul 2005, 12:18 am »
      If I dont fall asleep.

doug s.

• makin' music
      Re: A general request
      « Reply #138 on: 5 Jul 2005, 12:35 pm »
      Does anyone have access to Vishay/ERO/Roe MKP1837 caps? I can't source them here in the States in quantities of less than 100s...

dunno if this guy's prices are good, but he has caps - ero & others...

http://search.ebay.com/_Consumer-Electronics_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ293QQsassZeskimojoeQ5fparts

http://alfparts.com/TJ/PARTS/LIST/CAPS/CF/ERO/ZINDEX.HTML

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeskimojoeQ5fparts

doug s.

Occam

« Reply #139 on: 6 Jul 2005, 01:16 am »
      Doug,

Thanks for the references. I'll give Alf a call

-Paul