Latest music you've picked up...

sts9fan

« Reply #340 on: 29 Mar 2006, 08:09 pm »
Do you know what GD album has the song Touch of Grey on it?

In the Dark

I can't stop listening to the 69 Filmore compilation. That has been my favorite year for some time now. Dirty,nasty and raw in contrast to the popular 1977 stuff.

I just got My Morning Jacket   Z and it is pretty good.

mcrespo71

« Reply #341 on: 30 Mar 2006, 01:30 am »
Bob Dylan Infidels SACD
Common- Be CD
Eurythmics- Ultimate CD
Patti Smith Horses LP

EProvenzano

« Reply #342 on: 30 Mar 2006, 02:47 am »
Thanks guys!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #343 on: 30 Mar 2006, 03:09 am »
Quote from: sts9fan
Do you know what GD album has the song Touch of Grey on it?

In the Dark

I can't stop listening to the 69 Filmore compilation. That has been my favorite year for some time now. Dirty,nasty and raw in contrast to the popular 1977 stuff.

I also like a lot of shows from 1971.

They were definitely a different band with Pig Pen.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #344 on: 30 Mar 2006, 04:47 am »
Some Jazz : 8)
    Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch[/list:u]
      Dizzy Gillespie - Odyssey 1945-1952 ...3 cds[/list:u]
        Herbie Hancock-  
        The Herbie Hancock Box...4 cds [/list:u]
          Oscar Peterson -
          Dimensions: A Compendium Of The Pablo Years ....4 cds[/list:u]
            Charlie Rouse -
            Bosa Nova Bacchanal (Remastered) [/list:u]
              Spyro Gyra -
              The Very Best Of Spyro Gyra [/list:u]
                Some Rock : :rock: [/list:u]
                  Robin Trower -
                  Bridge Of Sighs (Expanded Edition) (Remastered) [/list:u]
                    Randy Newman -
                    The Best Of Randy Newman [/list:u]
                      John Mayer Trio -
                      Try! Live In Concert [/list:u]
                        Living Things -
                        Ahead Of The Lions [/list:u]

DeadFish

« Reply #345 on: 30 Mar 2006, 05:02 am »
Have to go along with you guys on the early Dead stuff.
In '69 the band had so much raw energy they'd loosed combining genres and busting out of California for some real touring...  So much promise of the future possibilities...I've got a 'boot' of my first show in february that year,
and it is still 'HOT'  :flame: , regardless of how primitive the recording technique.  Still clinging to 'Live Dead' as incredible live album for its time.
I'm real partial to that time in particular into the early 70's.  Pig's 'witnessing' with the blues seemed help keep the whole thing 'steered' in my mind.
Hey Zybar, are those download series you mentioned offa Dead.net?
I had not perused those before, though you got me thinking about DP33 and 35.  I quit buying the series in the late 'teens, as I wasn't fond of some of those selections and I felt like I was being 'bled'.

All that said, I just picked up Terrapin Station since I didn't have it on CD.
  :oops:
 :mrgreen:
It had been a while, so I figured I needed to get reaquainted.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread in a 'dead'ly direction, but ....
I don't care. Thanks for the ideas!

Regards,
DeadFish

mojoman

« Reply #346 on: 30 Mar 2006, 02:47 pm »
Picked up these four yesterday:

Derek Trucks Band - Songlines  - A great cd.  Trucks is simply a monster guitar player who has surrounded himself with great players and this is his best effort yet, IMO.  

Donald Fagan - Morph the Cat -  Like this one a lot too.  Sometimes hard to tell where Steely Dan leaves off and Fagan begins, the sound is very similiar.   Excellent musicanship as usual.  I like it almost as much as The Nightfly.

Dire Straits - On The Night - Early 90's live recording featuring good sound  quality and some great songs.  I only wish they would have included Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road on the cd.  Then it would have been a perfect set.

David Gilmore - On An Island - This didn't grab me on first listen but maybe I just wasn't in the mood.  I gotta give it another listen or two because it seems to have some "grow on you" potential.

carusoracer

« Reply #347 on: 30 Mar 2006, 04:17 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Even though my system isn't fully calibrated or setup, I have been buying lots of music lately.  Here are the ones I can remember:

David Gilmour - On An Island
Wilco - Kicking Television - Live in Chicago
Van Morrison - Pay the Devil
Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks Volume 33
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks Volume 35
Phish - Live Phish MSG 12-31-95
Grateful Dead - Download Series Vol 1
Grateful Dead - Download Series Vol 3
Grateful Dead - Download Series Vol 4
Grateful Dead - Download Series A Night At the Family Dog

Hey Zbar,
What's the GD-Download Series Vol 1,3 and 4 :?:
And where is it available...

sts9fan

« Reply #348 on: 30 Mar 2006, 05:20 pm »
Hey Zbar,
What's the GD-Download Series Vol 1,3 and 4  
And where is it available...

You can get them off Dead.net for the wopping price of 19.95 for FLAC. Which imho is highway robbery. Phish only charges 12.95 for most of thiers. On that note i highly recommend getting the "Island Tour" shows. Phish at their peak... :bowdown:

lazydays

« Reply #349 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:37 pm »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
Duke Ellington - Masterpieces by Ellington

well tell us how good it is! It's on my list.
gary

Terry Rossen

Some Great Newish Music
« Reply #350 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:50 pm »
Hi,

I read a previous thread about Cure for Pain:

Morphine is great: A RykoDisc 15th Anniversary Sampler CD even has Morphine’s track #2 from Cure for Pain: Buena.

Music stuff from Terry:

Each year I am charge with setting up our demo rooms for DH Labs and also anyone that needs my help.  This job also allows me to sample a lot of new music and then bring the best to listen and turn folks onto at the Alexis Park suites...!

My 22 year old daughter is artistically/musically gifted and shares her latest listening picks with Dad. She does sound and lighting professionally.

I have also collected a lot of new music some that I'll list here:

Damien Rice: O
The one track give's chills; and the folks that visited our room loved it and wrote the info down each time it played.  It is: Volcano.

The 1998 Godsmack album is all good!  Each will rock you to your delight. Great drum sets and bass guitar.  Vocals are fantastic.

My friend Mark at Rogue Audio turned me onto Groove Armada's Lovebox...that's a head bangin', dancing and critical listening album.

An older Greg Brown CD has a cut that will take you away nicely from his 1994 album The Poet Game.  The track is #1; brand new '64 dodge.
His deep voice and guitar come through sweet and natural.  Nicely mellow.

I have been very happy with testing speakers such as the ACI Sapphire XLs we have used for the last couple CES: Yello's album Pocket Universe.
I am now another happy owner of a Rosewood pair of Sapphire XLs and the little Force XL Subwoofer combo.

Yes rock me!  I have the original 1970 Red Grand Funk Railroad album.  They were also known for their pop music, but they played psychedelically as Iron Butterfly back in the day. The old blues tune played by the 3 guys from Michigan (Grand Funk) is one of the finest moments of rock blues recorded in the '70s. It is their rendition of Inside Looking Out.  Seek out and rock on. Their bass, guitar, drums, vocals and harmonica are great. This one will take you on a trip down and up again.  It is a fine ride. The Japanese Toshiba release CD is great. The 24-bit re-mastered Columbia from 2002 is not bad. The original LP is best!  I’ll put that track on to stir my blood at our demo suite at CES, early in the morning just for me.

Here is a list put here for your consideration and comment.  I have not listened to these knowingly; my daughter suggested these as good enough to drive folks into my 2007 CES room:

Martina Topley-Bird
Kinnie Star
VNV Nation
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Leave me messages if you have had the opportunity to listen to any of these 4 on the list!

Best to all,

Terry

PS
Now I have been in love with music all my life...over 55 now. I heard Leonard Bernstein live at the Young People’s Concerts at DAR Constitution Hall in DC each month when I attended elementary school.

BTW, my tastes are freakin’ all over the place.  I went to Woodstock and listened.  I had a great wet time.  I ate eggs and bacon with Wavy Gravy. I do remember most of the concerts.  We had a huge tent and campsite and big fire to dry out clothing, had a red barn to explore next door and a fresh water pump. I'm in Life magazine!

toobluvr

« Reply #351 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: mojoman

Derek Trucks Band - Songlines  - A great cd.  Trucks is simply a monster guitar player who has surrounded himself with great players and this is his best effort yet, IMO.  

I saw the Allman Brothers at the Beacon just this past Sunday, and I gotta say that I came away quite impressed with Derek's guitar playing skills.  

The Allmans were a big favorite of mine back in their early'70s heyday when I was in high school, but that sort of high energy searing guitar virtuoso type playing is no longer my favorite.  I guess I'm mellowing out to more melodic type stuff as I age, as I don't really listen to it at home anymore.  But  I do enjoy the raw energy in a live setting, and he is certainly a master.  

When I listened to his solo stuff with the DT Band, I was quite surprised.....and impressed.  It is quite different from the raucous boogie of the Allmans, and very mature beyond his years.  Also surprising to me is that he plays without a pick....at least he didn't use one at the show.  Must be real tough (and rough) on the fingers!

Wonder how his wife feels about that. :lol:

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #352 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:59 pm »
The Kinks "Schoolboys in Disgrace" SACD
Carl Palmer "Working Live 2" CD
Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia "Friday Night In San Francisco" SACD
Mahavishnu Orchestra "Birds of Fire"  Remastered CD
Sparks "Hello Young Lovers"
Ray Davies "Other People's Lives"
David Bowie "Black Tie White Noise" DVD

mojoman

« Reply #353 on: 30 Mar 2006, 09:51 pm »
Quote from: toobluvr
I saw the Allman Brothers at the Beacon just this past Sunday, and I gotta say that I came away quite impressed with Derek's guitar playing skills.  

The Allmans were a big favorite of mine back in their early'70s heyday when I was in high school, but that sort of high energy searing guitar virtuoso type playing is no longer my favorite.  I guess I'm mellowing out to more melodic type stuff as I age, as I don't really listen to it at home anymore.  But  I do enjoy the raw energy in a live setting, and he is certainly a master.

When I listened to his solo stuff with the DT Band, I was quite surprised and impressed. It is quite different from the raucous boogie of the Allmans, and very mature beyond his years. Also surprising to me is that he plays without a pick....at least he didn't use one at the show. Must be real tough (and rough) on the fingers!

Wonder how his wife feels about that.

The first time I saw the ABB was in 1971.  I think I've seen every incarnation since and this current lineup with Warren, Derek and Oteil on bass is eclipsed only by the original lineup.   I've had a long standing interest in Derek Trucks.  The first time I saw him was in '95, he was on a mini tour at the ripe old age of 15 (a reward for making good grades I was told by a friend that knows him).  He was touring as a trio with Allen Woody and, I think, Jeff Sipe on drums.  It was pretty clear even then that he was gifted.

Your right about the DTB being completely different from the work he does with the Allman Brothers.  I've had the pleasure of seeing them 4 or 5 times now (and I'm going again next Thursday  :D ) and it's almost a mystical experience the way the music flows form one song to the next. Once I saw them open with a 20 minute jam around the melody to Amazing Grace which morphed into Rastaman Chant, a reggae inspired tune and concluded with Coltrane's Naima.  And that was just the beginning of the show.  Later in the same show, Susan came out and sang a couple of songs with the band. This was before they were married.  I've never seen him use a pick (ala Hubert Sumlin) either.

Can't say I've mellowed in my old age.  I still love listening to a great guitar player tearing it up on the stereo and live (but live is best).

Terry Rossen

Derek Trucks Live
« Reply #354 on: 30 Mar 2006, 10:33 pm »

They are very good!  I've got tickets for their 9:30 Club show 4/8 in DC.

Yes, it is great guitar!

Terry

Folsom

« Reply #355 on: 31 Mar 2006, 07:33 am »
Quote from: lazydays
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
Duke Ellington - Masterpieces by Ellington

well tell us how good it is! It's on my list.
gary

I have to listen to it first! Ok I have listened to it on my headphones while doing busy stuff but not my speakers. I bought it because I wanted some thing new to listen to on my new speakers that um are just going to be not finished haha.... Well some day they will be finished, I just have not been able to find a wood worker.

mojoman

Re: Derek Trucks Live
« Reply #356 on: 31 Mar 2006, 03:48 pm »
Quote from: Terry Rossen

They are very good!  I've got tickets for their 9:30 Club show 4/8 in DC.

Yes, it is great guitar!

Terry

I'm seeing him on 4/6 at the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh!

mcrespo71

« Reply #357 on: 12 Apr 2006, 06:04 am »
ALL LP'S

Arctic Monkeys- Whatever people say I am that's what I am not
Arcade Fire- Funeral
Bruce Springsteen Devils and Dust
Thy Byrds Columbia Singles 65-67
Bright Eyes I'm wide awake...it's morning
Esquival Exploring New Sounds in Stereo
Bright Eyes- Lifted or the Story

mjosef

« Reply #358 on: 13 Apr 2006, 09:51 pm »
Got a bunch of CDs delivered today.
1. Miles Davis Cellar door sessions...
2. Herbert Henck- John Cage Early piano music. solo piano of John Cage earlier compositions, mid 30's to 40's, before he went off the deep end. ECM recording.
3. Evan Parker Electro-acoustic Ensemble- The eleventh hour. ECM
4. Marc Johnson- Shades of Jade. ECM
5. Jean-Paul Bourelly- Trance Atlantic (boom bop II). not your usual trace album, this has some serious jazz musicians pushing the boundaries of music. Dennis Chambers/Will Calhoun~drums, Olu Dara~cornet, Joe Bowie~trombone, Reggie WOrkman/Melvin Gibbs~bass, Henry Threadgill~alto and flute, Vincent Henry~alto and tenor saxes...70minutes of acid music.
6. Vision, Vol.3. From the Vision Festival.

arthurs

« Reply #359 on: 14 Apr 2006, 12:13 am »
Mary Youngblood - Beneath the Raven Moon

Native American flute and a variety of supporting instruments....not my usual thing, but hauntingly good, and an excellent recording