New, our amazing SET500 stereo and M750 mono amplifiers.

avahifi

Both ready to ship as soon as new custom packing foam inserts show up.

Read about them here: https://avahifi.com/collections/solid-state-power-amplifiers

jmc207

Re: New, our amazing SET500 stereo and M750 mono amplifiers.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2022, 11:41 pm »
Really nice, clean looking new design.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2022, 12:17 am »
Sweet amp, Frank!  :drool:

SET500 stereo amp: 250w @ 8ohms; 'more' @ 4ohms....how many more, please?

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2022, 11:57 am »
We typically don't test full power output into a 4 ohm load, and don't publish or guarantee that data.  We will occasionally sample this data, to be sure nothing is wrong, but will not test (stress) each unit built.  This might be likened to an auto manufacturer not testing each and every car produced to see if it can reach or exceed what its top speed should be.

That being said, the unit I tested during the design phase produced right around 400 wpc, both channels driven,  into a 4 ohm load. 

Dan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2022, 02:18 pm »
We typically don't test full power output into a 4 ohm load, and don't publish or guarantee that data.  We will occasionally sample this data, to be sure nothing is wrong, but will not test (stress) each unit built.  This might be likened to an auto manufacturer not testing each and every car produced to see if it can reach or exceed what its top speed should be.

That being said, the unit I tested during the design phase produced right around 400 wpc, both channels driven,  into a 4 ohm load. 

Dan

Very impressive! Thank you, Dan.

Michael

G E

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2022, 09:28 pm »
Are these tonally similar to your M225?

ltdan

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2022, 03:21 pm »
Just received the M750’s yesterday and spent last night giving them a go. My system for reference:

Salk Signature Sound Song 3 BeAT
Audio by Van Alstine DVA M750
Auralic Altair G2.1
Audiocontrol Maestro x9 (for TV and analog passthrough for Altair)

I think it’s worth mentioning the room in this case. This is my music listening setup in my living room. The room is part of an open floor design (modern house with open floor design throughout) and so the real dimensions of the room are hard to give. The living room space itself is around 15’x20’ but the open floor layout makes it seem more like 20’x50’ and this floor has 10’ ceilings. There’s actually an open rail stair column in the middle of the floor that travels from the first floor all the way to the third floor. I’m mentioning all these boring room details because it has actually been hard to get a sound from the loudspeakers that I really like and I think the room has definitely been one of the major factors. It just seems hard to get the right placement and also effectively load the space. This is also our family living room and so no room treatments, just sofa, chairs, rug, family photos, art and whatnot.

So the M750’s for me were intended to replace my ATI AT3303 amp I’ve been using for the past year. I actually like the 3303 amp well enough. It never seemed to get in the way, super reliable, very quiet, and just seemed like it was well built. I got the 3303 (with three channels as opposed to the 3302 with two) thinking I would add a center speaker for TV time, but after playing around with placement in the room I decided to forgo the center channel. My journey to the M750’s started with the early beginnings of a search to upgrade from the BeAT’s. I just didn’t think the BeAT’s could load the space enough to give me the fullness/richness of sound I guess I’m drawn towards. I started eyeballing a couple of the top of the line Salk’s as well as the B&W 802/803 D4’s and handful of other full range options like these. While lurking around on the forums for any useful info I came across reviews for the AVA DVA M225. I just sort of had a light bulb moment. Up until then I had accepted the idea that just about any decent solid state amp with decent specs will sound the same. I think I had read so many times similar lines that all great solid state amps should provide clean raw power and more or less get out of the way. I had interpreted these comments as effectively meaning that at a certain point the amp won’t be able to help a lot more. I think I was wrong! 

What caught my attention was that all of the reviews of the DVA M225 mentioned the amazing “slam”, “dynamics”, “tone”, and warmth while providing great clarity. And these reviewers were often comparing the M225 amp to some big ($,lb) boys. It made me think, hey maybe I should try another amp first before spending a crap ton of money on a replacement speaker. 

I took a look at the AVA website and then noticed the M750. Interesting I thought…no one has mentioned this amp on any forum or review I’ve come across. I did a Google search, nothing. I called the number on the website and Frank answered. I asked if the 750 would be similar to the M225. He said it would be similar with great bass control and dynamics. That was all I needed to hear to give them a try. 

And I’m glad I gave them a try because these very well may have delayed my speaker upgraditis for a good while. The control these have over the speaker compared to the AT3303 is just night and day, especially in the lower frequencies. I went back and forth between amps many times and began to realize that with the AT3303 the bass was much more muffled, and even the midrange felt as though I was listening behind a curtain compared to the M750. With the AT3303 I preferred the Altair acting as the prepro, but with the Altair direct into the M750’s the presentation was just too forward for my liking. With the Altair direct into the M750’s I just couldn’t relax. It was like I was standing at the front row of the concert. Some people might like that sound, but it was too much for me while sitting on my couch sipping a scotch. So for me, I’m getting great results using the Maestro x9 as the prepro with analog passthrough and all balanced connections. Compared to the AT3303, the bass has much better tone and weight while driving the BeATs in my space. It’s just way more convincing. The midrange is more full and rich sounding and there’s a much better ability to distinguish between elements. I did have to wait for the amps to warm up a little. It was mid 30’s outside when they were delivered and they were very cold to the touch when I plugged them in. I don’t think it was my head getting used to the sound as I listened for less than half a song and then completely left and came back an hour later and it sounded completely different.

I’m new to the forum and joined in part to share this experience as I thought it might help others. I honestly didn’t think the amp would be able to make such a difference but I’m beginning to think I was wrong. So far so good with the M750. Thanks Frank!
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2022, 05:28 am by ltdan »

ltdan

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2022, 01:52 am »
Just a quick update here after about 100 hours with the M750 monos. Still loving them. Ended up going straight from the Altair after much back and forth through the x9. Current setup is super simple (Altair g2.1 -> wywires balanced interconnects -> M750s -> Salk BeATs. Music is very clean in a good way (accurate? Maybe just fun to listen to without being tiring?). The amps I think are helping to provide the right depth/body to the music while the rest of the system seems very very neutral to my virgin audiophile ears. This whole process for me shed some light about how each component has some effect on the overall outcome. My gut is that my next upgrade may be speakers but the amps for sure breathed some additional life into the BeATs for my tastes. I can definitely recommend the M750’s (and M225 based on what I’ve read elsewhere).

Wally King

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2022, 04:26 pm »
I am the owner  of an AVA 600r power amp, driving a pair of Salk HT3s.  A question for Frank: how would you characterize the difference between the 600r and the new SET500?  Is the SET500 “better” than the 600r?  Would it match better with the Salks? Or, would the SET500 simply be different?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2022, 04:34 pm »
I am the owner  of an AVA 600r power amp, driving a pair of Salk HT3s.  A question for Frank: how would you characterize the difference between the 600r and the new SET500?  Is the SET500 “better” than the 600r?  Would it match better with the Salks? Or, would the SET500 simply be different?

I reviewed the original 600R and SET amp for Frank.  The SET amps have a fabulous midrange with depth and a more romantic sound that the 600R.  The 600R seemed to have more air and transparency with less warmth than the SET.  The midrange was rich compared to the SET.

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2022, 05:21 pm »
Going from a 600R to our new M225 amps driving my older Salk HT2-TL speakers improved the overall sound from top to bottom much more than I expected. Like brand new amazing speakers. Slightly hot top end transformed to just resolving detail with no rough edge.

Should do the same for your HT3s.

Frank

aln

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2022, 05:48 pm »
Any update on the new 600R in the new chassis?

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2022, 08:56 pm »
I own both the SET 400 and the previous model, the Synergy 450. The sound is very close but the SET 400 is a little more balanced, smoother and does a disappearing act. A friend brought over his 600R, it doesn't have the warmth of the SET 400 so it appears to have more upper midrange and treble, it definitely has greater headroom but I never play music that loud except for demos.

My speakers are the HT2-TL and the SET400 is a perfect match, the Seas W18 drivers can get in your face if the electronics are not balanced. I also had a long term loan of the original nCore NC400 which was not a good match at all. I borrowed the PS Audio Stellar M1200 for a week, that was fun. For long term listening the SET 400 is a much better match with Salk speakers.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.msg1856501#msg1856501

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2022, 09:42 pm »
I own both the SET 400 and the previous model, the Synergy 450. The sound is very close but the SET 400 is a little more balanced, smoother and does a disappearing act. A friend brought over his 600R, it doesn't have the warmth of the SET 400 so it appears to have more upper midrange and treble, it definitely has greater headroom but I never play music that loud except for demos.

My speakers are the HT2-TL and the SET400 is a perfect match, the Seas W18 drivers can get in your face if the electronics are not balanced. I also had a long term loan of the original nCore NC400 which was not a good match at all. I borrowed the PS Audio Stellar M1200 for a week, that was fun. For long term listening the SET 400 is a much better match with Salk speakers.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.msg1856501#msg1856501

That is exactly my assessment of the 600R vs the SET.   :D

Hydro

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2022, 11:19 pm »
I own both the SET 400 and the 600 R. The SET amp is very neutral and does everything well. However, the 600 R has the ability to tune for your system and room by rolling tubes. For about 100$ you can have a different amp. I use the R amp on my Ht-3's and love it. If I want a tube sound I use Mullard's, Genalex for a more neutral sound and Telefunken for the ultimate in imaging. The Ht-3's are very warm sounding with about any amp unless you are in a huge untreated room. The best upgrade I found for the Ht-3 are the Zoro vibration dampers.