Newest DIYCable Employee

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Newest DIYCable Employee
« on: 12 Apr 2005, 08:38 pm »
Hey.... he isn't home yet but we have a new addition to the family and I'm hoping the kid can solder.  

Tamerat is 12 years old (we think) and we are adopting him from Ethiopia.   Mrs. DIYCable is traveling to pick him up in another 5-6 weeks.  

Keep those cable orders coming!   We have to feed these kids!   :D

klh

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2005, 08:46 pm »
congrats!

jackman

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2005, 09:17 pm »
Congratulations!  I wish you, Mrs. DIYCABLE and the whole family the best of luck.  As an adoptee (spelling?), I think it's cool that you are giving this kid a great home and an opportunity to be a part of a good family.  Please keep us posted on the progress of the trip.  

I also wish you the best of luck with your business.  You have lots of really exciting products and a really nice website.  I love my Superlative IC's and will be calling you soon about some products.  

J

beat

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2005, 12:16 am »
Awesome Kevin,
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin P

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2005, 01:11 am »
Thanks guys....  this is the first older one we have adopted.   The other two where young so it's going to be a new experience.   We are getting a teen much sooner than I expected.  

Hope he is nothing like I was... :evil:

Batman

Congratulations
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2005, 04:06 am »
Best of luck to you and your newest family member. You'll have him soldering in no time.

Bill

Kevin P

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:41 pm »
Thanks Bill...   I'll put him to work on those JR Filters.   :D

Kevin P

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2005, 03:10 pm »
I'm a new father!    Tamerat has been home for two weeks now.   He has had a lot of adjustments to make and more to come but he is doing incredible.    I'm really amazed at his ability to take everything in stride.  

He seems to be most impressed with Wal-Mart.   He is very impressed with the fact that the poor (relative) can buy guns.    I bought some shells for my old single sot 410 my father gave me and we plan to go out and shoot some pop cans this week.    The perfect father-son activity.    

He is not at all interested in the mountains, snow, or the ocean.   It's funny...none of my other kids are impressed with natural beauty either.   Having grown up in the cornfields of Indiana I'm constantly in awe of where we live.

I wanted to thank everyone who has been praying and giving encouragement.    There is a great group of people here and we all appreciate your emails and support.

Here is a picture of the guys in the family.

JiffyBoob

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2005, 03:30 pm »
Congrats, Kevin, and kudos in so many ways. I love the idea of such diversity within a family unit.

I make the effort to have friends of ALL ages, and backgrounds. We are all spiritual beings housed in our Earthsuits,  on very slightly overlapping timelines. In this respect we are all very, very similar. Genetically, we are all almost identical. Yours is my kind of family.

Kevin P

Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2005, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: JiffyBoob
Congrats, Kevin, and kudos in so many ways. I love the idea of such diversity within a family unit.

I make the effort to have friends of ALL ages, and backgrounds. We are all spiritual beings housed in our Earthsuits,  on very slightly overlapping timelines. In this respect we are all very, very similar. Genetically, we are all almost identical. Yours is my kind of family.

Thanks JiffyBoob.    After a time they are just your kids, not black, brown, white or tan ones.    Their race and genetic background isn't at the top of my thought process.   We get lots of looks in public though.   I'll have to say 99.9% of people have positive things to say.   The few who don't seem to keep it to themselves.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Newest DIYCable Employee
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2008, 08:52 pm »
Wow.... I was digging through the old threads looking for information on an old product and came across this thread.

This doesn't seem like that long ago, Tamrat has been with us for three years now.   Here are a couple from 3-3.5 years ago while he was in the orphanage in Ethiopia.   I think he was 50lbs soaking wet when he arrived in the USA.

Ladies man.... that hasn't changed.

Here he was last month graduating from 8th grade.    In a couple years he will be kicking me around.   We have been through some rough moments but he is really maturing into quite the young man and it is amazing how the time flies by.   

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2008, 10:13 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:02 pm »
Wow, that kid is in eighth grade?  :o He's tall!
Congratulations Kevin. You did a good thing Sir. :thumb:

Bob

EDIT: By the way, can he solder yet?  aa :wink:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:10 pm »
Wow, that kid is in eighth grade?  :o He's tall!
Congratulations Kevin. You did a good thing Sir. :thumb:

Bob

EDIT: By the way, can he solder yet?  aa :wink:

Yea... but I have to watch his work.   He solders my crossover boards for spending money.   

I think he is standing on his tippy toes in that picture.  I'm a small guy, about 5' 6" but he isn't as tall as me yet unless you count his hair.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2008, 10:10 pm »
Here is the rest of the gang.   I should be working but I'm not feeling real motivated.

Lucas on the left, Tamrat, Ileana and little Abel on the right.

Dad's little princess.

Abel getting strangled by his older brother.

beat

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2008, 11:06 pm »
WOW!!!

Awesome Kevin. I have a hard time believing that is an 8th grader! Good looking group o'kids!

Congrats, Beat

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm »
WOW!!!

Awesome Kevin. I have a hard time believing that is an 8th grader! Good looking group o'kids!

Congrats, Beat

He just turned 15 and he really isn't that big for his age.   A lot of his classmates are bigger and fatter.   

Since he has a summer birthday we could have put him in the class ahead.  He came here not speaking much English and his education was pretty spotty so we choose to give him an extra year.    My wife home schooled him for a year.   He just wouldn't have been able to keep-up without being able to understand the teachers.   He is doing pretty good now though and while he has an accent, he understands most of what he hears.   

Sometimes his hearing is selective but I think that is a guy thing.    :)   

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2008, 01:23 am »

A guy thing, a teenage thing or both.

That is a wonderful set of kids you got there. They are an endless source of joy  :hyper: as well as endless work. I wish you the best of luck.

Larry McConville

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2008, 01:29 am »
Good Evening Kevin,

After seeing these wonderful pictures; I’ve completely forgotten why I logged in tonight! I’m very happy for you and your wife for at the end of the day; this is what matters most.

WOW, I can’t stop smiling; this is the stuff that weighs heavy on the heart – thanks so much for the warm heart and smiles tonight my friend.

Simply fantastic!!!

Oh yeah, congrats on moving the Maelstrom inventory :D

Respectfully,

Larry M.