MUSIC STREAMER MEDIA PLAYER & DAC SUGGESTIONS TO USE WITH NX STUDIO'S

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

I'm in the market for a Music streamer media player, that I can use alongside my Dragon Inspire QMB-25 Mono block amps and NX STUDIO's. Open for suggestions from AC members.

I did like how this one example I seen had a remote, even though many use app's on their phones now a days. Granted how it performs is the highest priority though. Not sure as to where I want to be budget wise?  One person suggested this streaming media player to me, https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hi-fi/cx-series-2/cxn

:drums:
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2022, 12:57 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

rikhav

CXN V2 surely a good option. It's also roon ready.
Do you want use online streaming services or only play filed on local network?

Something cheaper would be bluesound node

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Do you already have a dac or are you looking for something with a built in dac? My friend just picked up a minidsp unit that seems pretty solid integrated unit. I just picked up a HAL MS-6 server which that requires a dac but in general is great sound for an affordable package. Having the MathAudioEQ plug in for Foobar is fantastic for taming the room without killing the sound.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

MUSIC STREAMER MEDIA PLAYER SUGGESTIONS TO USE WITH NX STUDIO'S
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2022, 08:24 pm »
CXN V2 surely a good option. It's also roon ready.
Do you want use online streaming services or only play filed on local network?

Something cheaper would be bluesound node
[/I'll be utilizing both senario's you mentioned pay and local networks.quote]

I'll be utilizing both Pay for services more than likely, for the Higher quality resolution.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2022, 11:11 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
There are a lot of options depending on what your needs are. In addition to a DAC which has already been mentioned, it's one thing if you will only be using streaming services (e.g. Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon, music, etc.) but something else if you have a digital music collection, in which case you will need a server.

If you only plan to stream from outside sources then the CXN V2 will do the job. I have three different devices like this in three different systems in my home. My office system has a Pioneer Elite N-50 network audio player. The living room system had a Lumin D2 https://luminmusic.com/lumin-d2.html and the main listening system has a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with the Network Bridge II  https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-dac/ .  Three different pieces that all do the same job at three very different price points and three very different levels of performance. The ARCAM ST-60 and NAD C 658 are other options in this class.

If you have a music library, like I do, you will also need a computer of some type to run music server software such as JRiver, Foobar, ROON, etc. I use a PC for this with a large internal SSD though external drives can also be used. It can be as simple as a laptop or complicated like mine which is an older workstation PC used as a ROON core and dedicated to music playback. For this, in addition to Windows 10 Pro, it also runs Fidelizer 8 Pro which modifies Windows for the best audio performance. Oh, and my setup is only partway down the rabbit hole of high performance music servers.

If you use a computer server and will stream directly from it via USB, any DAC that is compatible with you music player software is all you need. For example, the DAC module of a Schiit Jotunheim 2 connected to a computer via USB then to a power amp via either RCA or XLR.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2022, 08:32 pm »
There are a lot of options depending on what your needs are. In addition to a DAC which has already been mentioned, it's one thing if you will only be using streaming services (e.g. Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon, music, etc.) but something else if you have a digital music collection, in which case you will need a server.

If you only plan to stream from outside sources then the CXN V2 will do the job. I have three different devices like this in three different systems in my home. My office system has a Pioneer Elite N-50 network audio player. The living room system had a Lumin D2 https://luminmusic.com/lumin-d2.html and the main listening system has a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with the Network Bridge II  https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-dac/ .  Three different pieces that all do the same job at three very different price points and three very different levels of performance. The ARCAM ST-60 and NAD C 658 are other options in this class.

If you have a music library, like I do, you will also need a computer of some type to run music server software such as JRiver, Foobar, ROON, etc. I use a PC for this with a large internal SSD though external drives can also be used. It can be as simple as a laptop or complicated like mine which is an older workstation PC used as a ROON core and dedicated to music playback. For this, in addition to Windows 10 Pro, it also runs Fidelizer 8 Pro which modifies Windows for the best audio performance. Oh, and my setup is only partway down the rabbit hole of high performance music servers.

If you use a computer server and will stream directly from it via USB, any DAC that is compatible with you music player software is all you need. For example, the DAC module of a Schiit Jotunheim 2 connected to a computer via USB then to a power amp via either RCA or XLR.
Great advice and things to be considered for sure. Now all I need to do is utilize the K.I.S.S. approach, I suppose.  :slap:

Thanks Mike! :thumb:   Which of your set-ups give you the best results, in terms of HQ audio?
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2022, 11:12 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Delta77

I Stream with my Innuos (ZEN), into my Holo (SPRING) DAC which works well with Tidal and serving up downloaded CD's.
But I have to use my Iphone/Ipad as a remote control. Works but a hand held remote would be more convenient.
I have been interested in the Lumin Streaming DAC (not sure of model ), and Aqua audio makes fantastic products as well.
Also interesting is the HIFI ROSE, very interesting.
But I haven't heard enough (forum) customer feed back to form a conclusive opinion, on the ROSE.

Good luck, don't know your budget , but I would guess that to get out of main stream equipment (Streaming) and into some entery level HI END equipment you would need a budget of $3,000 to $5,000 on your Streamer and DAC system.

But there are plenty of Mid Fi streamers and DAC's out there under that budget.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2022, 12:00 am by Delta77 »

WGH

The Absolute Sound's Robert Harley just posted a review of the Lumin P1 Network Player/Preamp.
Maybe there is some trickle down to their lower priced units, the house sound should be similar.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/lumin-p1-network-player-preamplifier/

The P1 is a good example of K.I.S.S.

My computer based music server, Holo Audio May DAC, AVA preamp, and Hapa USB and RCA cables total up to the Lumin P1 price.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2022, 10:58 pm »
feedback on suggestions is appreciated! Thanks to all! :thumb:

morganc

I’m loving the Aurender N100 I picked up a few months ago for $1100 used.  If you can find one used for a good price, it’s a winner with a great iPad app.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Great advice and things to be considered for sure. Now all I need to do is utilize the K.I.S.S. approach, I suppose.  :slap:

Thanks Mike! :thumb:   Which of your set-ups give you the best results, in terms of HQ audio?

The PS Audio DirectStream DAC and Bridge II has the best sound quality of the three by a wide margin.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2022, 05:09 pm »
The Absolute Sound's Robert Harley just posted a review of the Lumin P1 Network Player/Preamp.
Maybe there is some trickle down to their lower priced units, the house sound should be similar.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/lumin-p1-network-player-preamplifier/

The P1 is a good example of K.I.S.S.

My computer based music server, Holo Audio May DAC, AVA preamp, and Hapa USB and RCA cables total up to the Lumin P1 price.

The P1 appears to the Ferrari on here, however, the T3 will be better aligned with my budget. Thanks WGH! :thumb:

Danny Richie

I have yet to hear of anything that sounds better than the modified Mac Mini. Plus you can hook up an external hard drive to it with you music library. You can even load and try a pretty good handful of different playback software systems. I am still using Audirvana with mine. It can even recognize and output an I2S direct output to my DAC.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2022, 10:58 pm »
I have yet to hear of anything that sounds better than the modified Mac Mini. Plus you can hook up an external hard drive to it with you music library. You can even load and try a pretty good handful of different playback software systems. I am still using Audirvana with mine. It can even recognize and output an I2S direct output to my DAC.

Danny,
 Care to share what modifications you did to your Mac Mini?  What Dac are you using with your system?  I already have a external hard drive storage for my music covered.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2022, 12:59 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2022, 11:11 pm »

sonicxtc

Danny, I'm not challenging you, rather I'm simply stunned to read this. I know Eric Hider was quite the proponent of a modified mac mini, but I would have thought a decade later technology evolved considerably. Just in terms of a clean "audiophile" power supply, I would have thought other servers/streamers would be superior. Anyway, PLEASE enlighten us regarding the modifications that you suggest. Also, do you know what vintage of mac mini can output an I2S? I have a Rockna Wavelight DAC and understand that I2S is the best input. My mac mini running Audirvana is a 2011. THANK YOU.

bhassel

I too am curious about the mac mini mods. I bought an M1 Mac Mini late last year, but have spent most of my computer life in the PC world and theres where I'm mostly still at. I tried looking up Eric but didn't anything pop up that was current, although the company has a web presence, there is no mention of mac minis.

Bob

Nick B

Tried to connect with Eric Hider thru a friend without success.

morganc

I have an Eric Heider modified MAC mini in storage.  Worked perfectly and never had an issue with it.   If anyone wants it, DM me.  It also has AudiNirvana on it.