Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

catluck

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #380 on: 10 Nov 2022, 01:36 pm »
genjamon - you're correct according to Tom Rost at Class D Audio. When I inquired about the changes from the original board to the new one Tom indicated that "they're very close, with perhaps a bit more detail."  There are only two stereo amps, the 3 (120 watts @ 8 ohms) and the 5 (200 watts @ 8 ohms).  So, perhaps a significant difference between a stereo MiniGan 3 and monoblocks (300 watts @ 8 ohms).  Because I'm set up for monoblocks I didn't audition the stereo versions of the MiniGan. I can say that, while I thought the Bel Canto eRef 600's (class D, MOSFET) were outstanding amps, the MiniGans have a sparkling quality and clarity in the mid's that I never noticed with the BC's (or any other amp, tube or SS, for that matter).

newzooreview

« Reply #381 on: 10 Nov 2022, 02:52 pm »
On my monoblocks the green circuit board labeling is visible through the vents in the case, and the boards appear to be version 5.3

I assume 5 is for MininGaN 5 and 3 is for version 3.

I agree that distinct labeling on the outside would be beneficial. The note from Class D Audio was the new boards provided a bit more power and a bit more detail, but they considered it a tweak rather than a major change. However, I don't know if they are listening with speakers as sensitive as the M3 Sapphires, so perhaps the improvements could be noticeable depending on the system. I don't know.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #382 on: 12 Nov 2022, 08:14 pm »

New player in the game

2bigears

« Reply #383 on: 12 Nov 2022, 08:22 pm »
 :) payment plans ,,,, haha.  Consumerism at its finest.  10,000.00 $$ well wasted.  :D

Don_S

« Reply #384 on: 12 Nov 2022, 08:29 pm »
Charles,

Thanks for the information. I do not understand the purpose of the digital in/out. :scratch:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #385 on: 12 Nov 2022, 08:49 pm »
Charles,

Thanks for the information. I do not understand the purpose of the digital in/out. :scratch:

Could be to hook a streamer direct similar to Peachtree Gan1. My friend is at CAF and he is going to see if Mytek has one in the room amd report back

Mr. Big

« Reply #386 on: 12 Nov 2022, 09:51 pm »

New player in the game

Nice amps, well built, great design and parts use. Value?, it is what we can afford.

newzooreview

« Reply #387 on: 12 Nov 2022, 10:58 pm »
Nice amps, well built, great design and parts use.

Did you demo them in your system?

catluck

« Reply #388 on: 13 Nov 2022, 01:52 pm »
Mr. Big,
"Nice amps, well built, great design and parts use. Value?, it is what we can afford."

Where did you obtain the above info? I  can't find any info on these amps other than the minimal sketchy details on Mytek's site. Sadly, it may be a tough decision for anyone considering purchase because there is no trial period or tour of the product.  At $5K/monoblock, so $10K/pair, well, they're out of reach for most of us in any event either because we're not able to afford $10K or because we're unwilling to spend that amount given other GanFet options.  I think you hint at that notion and I agree.  Originally, when beginning this thread I thought one of the great advantages of GanFets was their relatively inexpensive price tag given their remarkable sonic performance.  But nothing remarkable about getting superb performance for $10K. Still, with another marque joining the party it does suggest the market is awakening to GanFet's advantages.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #389 on: 13 Nov 2022, 02:21 pm »
At $5K/monoblock, so $10K/pair, well, they're out of reach for most of us in any event either because we're not able to afford $10K or because we're unwilling to spend that amount given other GanFet options.  I think you hint at that notion and I agree.  Originally, when beginning this thread I thought one of the great advantages of GanFets was their relatively inexpensive price tag given their remarkable sonic performance.  But nothing remarkable about getting superb performance for $10K. Still, with another marque joining the party it does suggest the market is awakening to GanFet's advantages.

zactly!  GaNFeT amps seem simple - hard to see what another $8-9 grand added to the price will bring, other than a known maker and possibly a better looking case.  that said, value is in the eye of the beholder, and if mytek can sell these at $10k then more power to them.  agree that more companies coming to the GaNFet party is not a bad thing, even if their prices are much higher.

Mr. Big

« Reply #390 on: 13 Nov 2022, 02:47 pm »
zactly!  GaNFeT amps seem simple - hard to see what another $8-9 grand added to the price will bring, other than a known maker and possibly a better-looking case.  that said, value is in the eye of the beholder, and if mytek can sell these at $10k then more power to them.  agree that more companies coming to the GaNFet party is not a bad thing, even if their prices are much higher.

Being from an electronics back ground there usually is a good reason why a product is marked higher, parts, cost of design, metal work, time spent developing the product, parts purchased on a smaller scale thus higher costs, dealer mark up which is fair, they have to be in business to make money or why be in business as for the manufacture. Our internal cost for employees to the buy the SCD1 was $2,500 so that was the dealer cost.

Then again, like Sony when I worked for them our 5K SCD1 SACD player was built like no other, look inside it was a work of art. A small boutique high-end company without the vast means and buying parts in small quantities to build them would be charging 4-5 times more. To get that quality Esoteric players at 15-25K would be the asking price today. I do think the at a certain point and seeing the insides of some of these units at 20-100K and lot of money starts going into the exterior design, size of the units, over built parts that might not really improve the sound, but look good and cost a lot to justify prices and scale of small amount of sells. Always keep in mind it was we can hear as humans, could your ear hear, but the parts are the best of the best. 

Sony cheap car stereos and not their best would easy sell 50,000 units, walkman millions etc. So when you can sell not just in the USA but world wide scale alone allows you to build superior quality at a lower price.

Can you make something good sounding on the cheap, sure, I have done it with my tube preamp, was it built to the quality of the Mark Levinson preamp, hell no, there alion boards alone cost without parts on it cost more than my preamp.

newzooreview

« Reply #391 on: 13 Nov 2022, 04:08 pm »
Being from an electronics back ground…

So you had a chance to examine the amp, even if you didn't hear it in your system?

Mr. Big

« Reply #392 on: 13 Nov 2022, 04:16 pm »
Not seen inside but I will. This amp is not released yet but it was at the show. It uses tubes. its input impedance is a low 10K, so preamp matching will be critical. Wish they had it at 50-100Kohms that would have opened up the amount of preamps that could have used with it. Even 20K ohms would have been better, but they are using there own DAC and Preamps in the mix which of course would match the amp ideally. I have been surprised to see folks use a mismatched preamp to their amp. It very important not to do so sonically.

newzooreview

« Reply #393 on: 13 Nov 2022, 04:57 pm »
Thanks.

Are they saying whether they designed the amp themselves? It would stand to reason since I'm not aware of a GaN amp with a tube in the circuit (vs. the Purifi amps with tubes added.) However, as with the VTV and other tubed non-GaN amps, they could, conceivably, have added the tube to someone else's design. Mytek typically does it's own circuit design, so that is not the obvious route for them, however.

It would be interesting if they would let you look inside. I assume this is at Capitol Audio Fest, so maybe towards the end today they will entertain the idea.

I hope you're enjoying the show. I might have made the trip if Spatial were showing the X4s, but with Clayton working on recovery, which I hope is going smoothly, it seems as if they are not at the show.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #394 on: 13 Nov 2022, 06:30 pm »
I hope you're enjoying the show. I might have made the trip if Spatial were showing the X4s, but with Clayton working on recovery, which I hope is going smoothly, it seems as if they are not at the show.
I went to the 2022 Capital Audiofest yesterday and had a good time.  I wish Clayton was healthy and able to participate in the show, but his health is most important. 

They may have had some class D amps there and I just missed them due to the overwhelming showcase of gear.  Although Merrill Audio class D amps are expensive, I looked for them and couldn’t find them.

I know the rooms are difficult for the exhibitors to fine tune their gear, but there were some nice systems there.  Many vendors were playing the music too low and I just couldn’t hear the system shine as good as they probably could have.  However, some vendors were playing the music louder so you could hear the system sing.  I do think it’s important to know how a system sounds at low listening levels because sometimes our situation at home may call for lowering the volume.  Nice show, but would like to have heard some GaNFet class D amps.

Mr. Big

« Reply #395 on: 13 Nov 2022, 11:54 pm »
I went to the 2022 Capital Audiofest yesterday and had a good time.  I wish Clayton was healthy and able to participate in the show, but his health is most important. 

They may have had some class D amps there and I just missed them due to the overwhelming showcase of gear.  Although Merrill Audio class D amps are expensive, I looked for them and couldn’t find them.

I know the rooms are difficult for the exhibitors to fine tune their gear, but there were some nice systems there.  Many vendors were playing the music too low and I just couldn’t hear the system shine as good as they probably could have.  However, some vendors were playing the music louder so you could hear the system sing.  I do think it’s important to know how a system sounds at low listening levels because sometimes our situation at home may call for lowering the volume.  Nice show, but would like to have heard some GaNFet class D amps.

You most likely did not hear many GaNfet amps because not many making them from the major hitters and buyers, a small niche market right now. 2nd those who do might not be able to afford the cost of going and setting up. This is not cheap for the vendors to do.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #396 on: 14 Nov 2022, 12:41 am »
You most likely did not hear many GaNfet amps because not many making them from the major hitters and buyers, a small niche market right now. 2nd those who do might not be able to afford the cost of going and setting up. This is not cheap for the vendors to do.
I agree 100%…

catluck

« Reply #397 on: 14 Nov 2022, 02:38 pm »
It appears the Mytek website has been substantially upgraded in the last day to two to provide a 30 trial period for its GanFet amps (plus a bit more info).  The amps remain temporarily out of stock. No photo(s) of product. No mention of tube operation or tube type. An unusual marketing strategy for a new product release? And Mr. Big's point re: importance and ramifications of low input impedance of 10K Ohms cannot be overstated...

RonN5

« Reply #398 on: 14 Nov 2022, 02:53 pm »
Mr Big

We’re those real tubes… or the “looks like tubes for marketing but not really tubes”  tubes?

mick wolfe

« Reply #399 on: 14 Nov 2022, 10:54 pm »
Mr Big

We’re those real tubes… or the “looks like tubes for marketing but not really tubes”  tubes?

Maybe somewhat like the AGD's where the GaN mosfet is just encased in a glass tube. That's my best guess :scratch: