Clari-T is a Time Machine?

jkelly

« on: 9 Apr 2005, 07:23 pm »
What? C'mon.
Well if you have the Clari-T and haven't listened to Sgt. Peppers or other milestone albums from the past - you are missing out on a great feature of this gem.  The clarity of the Clari-T peals away the dust, dirt and grime from these classics and let's you hear them like you never have before.

Research tool? Maybe.  You'll hear how they made it - that's for sure.

Anyway if you have some time tonight - turn the lights out and listen to Sgt. Pepper.  You'll hear it like you never did before.  Especially the drums.

If Ringo actually played on all the songs I have a much higher respect for him as a drummer!

Jeff

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2005, 09:38 pm »
Agreed.  Nothing except for the ClariT let me hear how a singer takes a breath while still sounding musical.  And I am talking about Redbook CDs.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2005, 03:09 am »
Quote from: Paul_Bui
Agreed.  Nothing except for the ClariT let me hear how a singer takes a breath while still sounding musical.  And I am talking about Redbook CDs.

I totally agree!  Redbook has a lot to offer.  Who'd a thunk an amplifier could hold back so much from a digital source, Redbook at that??    Like yourself, I've owned hardware by Steve Deckert and Nelson Pass among other legendary designers.  All I can say is the T is my cup of tea!  

I LOVE CLARITY!

gary

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2005, 03:37 am »
Redbook with a NOS battery dac and the Clari-T is pure magic.

On top of that, there are no tubes to burn out... like what happened to me tonight, midway through Sgt. Pepper's. What a bummer.

Gary

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2005, 03:38 am »
Agreed. I have been having a blast buying all the remastered 70's stuff coming around on Redbook. Yes, you can hear how it went together, and I look forward to getting Sgt Pepper, I always considered that, as do music historians, the very, very first concept album, and considered widely to be the first "progressive rock" album, paving the way for the British dinosaur groups. Listening to the better Yes albums has been wonderful.

I also believe with all the high mileage of my ClariT, it recently has turned yet another evolutionary corner. Yes, there is no mistake, it has recently improved again. It is getting even better. Has anyone else noticed subtle improvements over time, little increments of holistic improvement? MORE 3D, whatever it is, whatever, "it" is, "it" is there tonight in spades. Too bad next week it starts alllll over, with the arrival of my wondrous Reali-T amp. As I get older, I find it is more difficult to get excited, but this has me going.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2005, 04:19 am »
Congrats Dan.  I know you'll be happy like a boy again.

gary

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2005, 12:00 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
I also believe with all the high mileage of my ClariT, it recently has turned yet another evolutionary corner. Yes, there is no mistake, it has recently improved again. It is getting even better. Has anyone else noticed subtle improvements over time, little increments of holistic improvement? MORE 3D, whatever it is, whatever, "it" is, "it" is there tonight in spades. Too bad next week it starts alllll over, with the arrival of my wondrous Reali-T amp. As I get older, I find it is more difficult to get excited, but this has me going.

I'm probably at around 200 hours and things are still getting better. Since the whole system was new at the same time (Clari-T, Nixon dac, and Prometheus speakers) I'm not sure which components are breaking in and improving. All of them to some degree I'd expect. There's some astounding synergy between these components too... I don't think I'd trade my system for anything I heard in Montreal, even the megabuck stuff. Okay, so maybe I'd take the Lotus :)

Gary

Dmason

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2005, 03:19 pm »
Gary,

Just read your post; I can tell you fo shoo that the Beyma slot tweeter will be last to ever break in, and with a 6 watt amp, it likely won't ever break in fully. I have heard that thing fully broken in used in EAW's short throw installation stuff, and it is a beautiful thing. I would from time to time throw another amp onto them and let them play loudly all day long.

I stayed up til 0230 last night listening wide-eyed, in the dark. Everyone with a ClariT needs to do this in the dead of night, when they might get a chance. With good full range open baffle speakers, the effect is not unlike a sonic planetarium.  :smoke:

Bwanagreg

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2005, 03:25 pm »
Great observation Jeff. I've been listening to a couple of remasters of the first two King Crimson albums recently -- In The Court of the Crimson King and Wake of Poseidon -- and the time machine is a-whirlin at my house big time. The ITCOFCK release is from a recently discovered master that is far better than any prior release I've heard, and the Tripath is peeling away the onion like I can't believe.

Oh crap, Aural Moon is playing Mahavishnu Orchestra, Meeting of The Spririts. Gotta go dig that out ....

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2005, 04:07 pm »
I use to get that same feeling when listening to King Crimson in the 70's with my Pioneer system and a good hit of acid :rock:  :lol:

BTW, how much power does the Clari-t monoblocks put out? And how much do they sell for? Anyone using 4 monoblocks?

jkelly

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2005, 05:16 pm »
Continuing on this research theme - is there software that allows you to emphasize a part of the soundstage based on position as opposed to frequency range?

If you had an application that allowed you to drag a rectangle over the area of your soundstage that would emphasize the sound in that area or decrease the level of the non-selected area it might be interesting to zoom in on the work of certain musicians.  I guess all kinds of dsp effects could be introduced for that matter.

Does this exist somewhere?

Jeff

maxwalrath

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2005, 05:48 pm »
That would be cool...but I doubt it. Info about what specific instrument is making a sound isn't embedded on recordings, and it wouldn't really be a truthful reproduction for a lot of live recordings.

Dmason

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2005, 06:26 pm »
I have In The Court Of The Crimson King, and also the Yes stuff, (Rhino Records) and you realize that Anderson and Lake have stunning voices, really rich and complex voices, it is ALL like hearing it over again for the first time. Older now, I find these modern Classics to be musically EVEN BETTER than I thought they were; these guys were Light Years ahead of their lot.... Time Machine indeed. An amazing gift as byproduct.

ludavico

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2005, 01:59 pm »
"...the effect is not unlike a sonic planetarium" -DMason

Dan, great analogy.  I have experienced this with with my lowly TEACS A-L700Ps. 8)  It goes way beyond speakers disappearing...

Trouble is it does not happen consistently.  In fact, it is pretty rare in my system.  

I am still tied to electricity, so I suspect power is the culprit.  :x

When "it" happens and the system goes aloft; man, that is something I have never heard by any system at any price range.

BTW, I have the TEACs for ~5 months now playing almost continuously and I still hear them changing!  Geeesh.

Going to batteries soon...

Dmason

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2005, 02:31 pm »
Ludavico,

I agree, it is not consistent. My theory is that it is tied closely to

a/ noise floor--this didnt happen much before battery juice.
b/ dipole effect--to complex to get into here but it works.
c/ quality of recording--Direct to Disc recordings do this more often.

Last night I set up a pair of open baffles in the bedroom and listened again in the dark, and again got the Sonic Planetarium, this time with extremely well produced ambient synth music, remastered Eno, "Ambient Music For Airports." I think I am on to another "way" of hearing music, to be honest.

Maybe I will get a show room for Denver this fall and throw a pyjama party in a Sonic Planetarium. This shit would blow the doors off most all the shiny dreck at those shows.

tyee

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2005, 03:24 pm »
Dmason
    You mentioned you were working on a new speaker design you may market to us here at AC. How's it going?? In absence of that,  what would you suggest for a DIYer to try. I believe you mentioned CIARE drivers. (Sorry I may have spelled it wrong).

tyee