The Reali-T prototype on its way to Dmason...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« on: 8 Apr 2005, 03:08 am »
Hey Dan,

Finally, your custom "Reali-T" Integrated Amp prototype shipped out today!  :P   All I can say is that it is working and sounding great, and I only have a few hours on it!

For those who don't know what the Reali-T is, it is a custom integrated amp that Dan Mason requested a while back.  I've been so swamped with work, but finally finished it!  

Below are some of the features:

--Larger enclosure
--Input select (3-inputs, one of which is the internal dac board)
--Subwoofer RCA output jacks
--Built in DAC that has a reclock circuit on board (what jitter?  :wink: )
--BNC digital input to DAC
--Separate battery and power switch for DAC and Clari-T board
--Clari-T w/ black gate power supply caps
--Stepped attenuator

Something custom like this will cost in the $1K to $1.2K range.  

Dan, I am very excited to hear your impressions of the Reali-T with your  Darkstar speakers!   :hyper:

All you need now is a custom all-battey powered transport....it will be coming next!  I have something cookin' here  :flame:

Dmason

« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2005, 03:18 am »
:o  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:   :mrgreen:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2005, 03:33 am »
Quote from: Dmason
:o  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:   :mrgreen:

Forgot to mention that pics can be seen on the Wine Tasting page:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/Wine_Tasting.html

Just scroll down towards the bottom...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2005, 04:07 am »
Tasty...

Hey Vinnie, this little Coby DVD-707 is panning out to be really something.  I've only used it as player thus far (not transport) and it's leagues better than my Pioneer 656 and (modded) Sony 7700 as players.  Way better - no doubt at all.

I have to try it as transport and on SLA to see what it can step to.....but I'm shocked with it each day.

Don't know what you got cookin', but this is a far better player than I ever thought it could be.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2005, 12:47 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Tasty...

Hey Vinnie, this little Coby DVD-707 is panning out to be really something.  I've only used it as player thus far (not transport) and it's leagues better than my Pioneer 656 and (modded) Sony 7700 as players.  Way better - no doubt at all.

I have to try it as transport and on SLA to see what it can step to.....but I'm shocked with it each day.

Don't know what you got cookin', but this is a far better player than I ever thought it could be.

TCG,

Glad you are enjoying your DVD-707.  The big question is...is there a switch mode power supply in there?  My guess is that it will take the 12V SLA, then hack it apart with a crappy switcher supply to make all the needed voltages (2.5V, 3.3V, 5V, 12V, -12V, and larger negative voltages if there is a flourescent display).  This pretty much defeats the use of battery power because of all the noise that the SMPS generates, but, it is still probably better than using AC at the input, which brings in more noise.

Keep us posted when you try it with a battery, and as a transport.

I'm working on something that will be all battery, with NO switch mode power supplies.  The analog playback and digital output are both stunning, and I didn't even start tweaking (besides the custom battery power supply)!! :P

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2005, 03:50 pm »
Vinnie,

I'm about as ignorant of internal electronics as a cow is about today's spot aluminum price in London  :lol:

However, I can and do read.... the outboard AC adaptor is labeled as a 1.5amp 'Switching Power Supply'.  Currently running thru my BPT unit, I am experiencing 97% of the pleasure of my 50x more expensive front end.  Don't know if that means there's something you have to hack apart inside to reach 100% nirvana, but it just sounds dang decent as is.

It only specs as an paltry 85db s/n ratio, but I'm finding it suitably quiet during soft passages for real listening pleasure.

It doesn't take an 'N' type plug (the somewhat standard size for walkman and the Sonic Impact, at least), so I'll have to strip the cigarette lighter that comes with the Coby and use it's plug for SLA duties.  

It's got solid images, good depth perspective and a nice, pleasant all-day listening (it's in my office and it is) tone.  

We shall see what comes of it....as mentioned earlier, the 90 day waranty does not bring great comfort.  But, it's only $67, so the gamble won't cost you the roof over your head  :wink:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2005, 04:49 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Vinnie,

I'm about as ignorant of internal electronics as a cow is about today's spot aluminum price in London  :lol:

However, I can and do read.... the outboard AC adaptor is labeled as a 1.5amp 'Switching Power Supply'.  Currently running thru my BPT unit, I am experiencing 97% of the pleasure of my 50x more expensive front end.  Don't know if that means there's something you have to hack apart inside to reach 100% nirvana, but it just sounds dang decent as is.

It only specs as an paltry 85db s/ ...

TCG,

>>However, I can and do read.... the outboard AC adaptor is labeled as a 1.5amp 'Switching Power Supply'.

I think there is also an switching supply on the inside as well.  

I'm working on something different that I already have converted to all battery power and is sounding better than I ever hoped for (using both the digital and analog outputs)!  This will definitely be a future offering.  I need to work with Louis on a nice enclosure for it as well  :wink:

Too bad I couldn't have had it finished to send to Dan with the Real-T...it would have been a battery powered orgy!  :rotflmao:

Regards,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2005, 05:21 pm »
Excellent, Signore Vino Rossi, I await that development..... 8)

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Re: The Reali-T prototype on its way to Dmason...
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2005, 05:08 am »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hey Dan,

Finally, your custom "Reali-T" Integrated Amp prototype shipped out today!  :P   All I can say is that it is working and sounding great, and I only have a few hours on it!

For those who don't know what the Reali-T is, it is a custom integrated amp that Dan Mason requested a while back.  I've been so swamped with work, but finally finished it!  

Below are some of the features:

--Larger enclosure
--Input select (3-inputs, one of which is the internal dac board)
--Subwoofer RCA output ja ...

Hm, yummy.  Dan, let us know how it tastes, OK?