SPECIAL GROUP BUY DODD AUDIO 120 MONO'S

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jul 2005, 02:23 pm »
Hello, everyone I am just here letting you know that I am working on building all this stuff as fast as I can. I now have everything I need to do it all. I can only do so much. Also I have been having to work at my normal job alot more than normal which takes away from the time I have for this. Any way it will not be much longer. And everyone have a nice 4th weekend. I'm working right thru it. Thanks for your patients.
Gary :D

JBryan

So.... any update?
« Reply #61 on: 31 Jul 2005, 09:09 pm »
Gary,

How are the amps coming along? There's a few folks out here that are waiting patiently but would like a word or two of encouragement and an update on your progress.

Thanks!

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 1 Aug 2005, 08:01 pm »
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been here to update lately.  I am covered up.This week I will ship the last 4 midline preamps and the first 2 pair of amps. Next week I will ship another set of amps. I just picked all of the boxes today and 1000 pounds of transformers and more chassis for the next batch of amps. I think that maybe my floor is going to fall thru. I have never had this much stuff in here before! Mean while I am only able to burn in 1 set of amps at a time, and it goes for 100 hours. I have been thinking of only burning in for say 50 hours and letting you all finish the process. I f I decide to do that then I will be able to ship 2 pair of amps a week. I would then be finished with the first batch in 2 -3 more weeks. I know its been a while since I started, but if you can wait just a little more I would feel better if they got the full 100 hours of burn in. The reason for it is if they are going to break they will do so in the first 100 hours, I have found this to be true in most cases. Let me know what you guys think. Also I have only built what has been paid for. Thank for all your patiente.

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 15 Aug 2005, 01:39 am »
Hello everyone. Well I am going to be shipping 2 more pair of amps this week, and that leaves 3 pair yet to be burned in. That will finish the first batch of amps that were paid for up front. The 2nd batch of 11 pair is already in the works, and will begin shipping in 3-4 weeks I HOPE! There are still a few of you who have yet to finish paying, I hope everyone who ordered can finish the deal. It was a great 1 time sale and will never be offered again at that price. Thanks again for all your patients and orders.

prokennex

120 Monoblocks
« Reply #64 on: 25 Aug 2005, 12:25 am »
Have any others received their amps and if so what do you think of them? I will be using mine with martinlogan sl3. I hear the sl3 sound quite good with good quality tube amps.

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 7 Sep 2005, 03:11 pm »
Hello everyone, I am happy to say that I have finished and shipped the first run of the product from the sale. The first run was all the pre's and amps that were paid for up front in the beginning. I now have the 2nd run of amps and pre's to build , these are for the folks who have paid for their product in the past few months. I actually have all the parts and everything to build this equipment, just waiting on the painted parts to be able to assemble the product. As busy as i am it is actually going really well. I should be able to start shipping some of this stuff in the next few weeks. I want everyone that I owe stuff to, to know that right now and thru most of this month of September that I have 3 new pieces of gear that I am doing my best to have ready for the RMAF show in October. Yes, I have to be at the show and I need the new gaer ready. As soon as the show is over, then I am back to work on building and finishing the orders that I have now. I am sorry for the long amount of time it takes to do it all, but I am the only one doing it. I NEED GOOD HELP  Thanks to all of you for being so patient and understanding. :D  :D
Gary

prokennex

Biasing Questions
« Reply #66 on: 30 Sep 2005, 11:09 pm »
Just received my Dodd 120 monoblocks along with the midlevel pre. I was wondering if someone could help me out in regards to biasing the amps.

1. Should both the preamp and source be turned on to bias the amps or just the amps powered up?
2. The instructions state to flip the toggle switch to the left or right depending on which bank of tubes is being biased. I notice that the toggle switch unless held to the left or right imediately returns to the neutral position. My question is do you actually hold the toggle switch to the left while turning the left adjustment  screw or can you  flip it to the left, let it return to the center position and then turn the left adj. screw? And of  course same question for the right bank of tubes.
3. Again the instructions state to bias the tubes to 70 ma. Since I have not powered the amps up yet, all I see is the meter or dial  on the front of the amps(yes I do see the fiqures on the meter along with the 70 ma. figure) but I don't see a needle or something to indicate when the 70ma. is actually reached. Is there some type of needle or something that acutally points to the 70 ma. when it is reached?
4. Last question for now. I usually leave my equipment on (except for electrical storms). Is it also OK to leave the tube gear on when not in use (except in storms of course)?

I hope these questions make since and maybe I'm being over cautious. but I appreciate any help you can give.

Tks
Ray

DTB300

« Reply #67 on: 30 Sep 2005, 11:54 pm »
Why don't you call Gary and ask him?

prokennex

amp baising
« Reply #68 on: 1 Oct 2005, 12:25 am »
I have called Gary a few times. He must be quite busy. I keep getting his answering machine.  So I thought some member here who has some of his gear might be able to help me.
I will try Gary again tomorrow.

Ray

JoshK

« Reply #69 on: 1 Oct 2005, 12:55 am »
Hopefully this helps...

I don't own dodd audio amps but this should be straight forward enough.

1) shouldn't matter.
2) yes hold the switch while biasing
3) the needle should show up when you turn the amp on.
4) probably not best to leave them on for tube live, I think Gary will agree but you can try for a day and you'll notice your room gets really hot when you leave them on.  I turn tube amps off when not in use.  This is a debately point but with tube amps I think most will agree to turn them off.

prokennex

biasing amp
« Reply #70 on: 1 Oct 2005, 01:40 am »
Tks Josk, I'll put the tubes in power them up and give it a try.
Ray

JoshK

« Reply #71 on: 1 Oct 2005, 02:15 am »
should be fine without the preamp on, because the bias is from the DC supply not the signal, so I don't see why the preamp would need to be on to get 70mA of DC current.

kyyuan

Re: amp baising
« Reply #72 on: 1 Oct 2005, 04:51 am »
Quote from: prokennex
I have called Gary a few times. He must be quite busy. I keep getting his answering machine.  So I thought some member here who has some of his gear might be able to help me.
I will try Gary again tomorrow.

Ray

Isn't Gary at RMAF with Danny?

arthurs

« Reply #73 on: 1 Oct 2005, 05:25 am »
Yep, he is.

kyyuan

Re: biasing amp
« Reply #74 on: 7 Oct 2005, 03:02 pm »
Quote from: prokennex
Tks Josk, I'll put the tubes in power them up and give it a try.
Ray

Ray,

How are the amps?  Please share your impression of them.  Did you get your answer on the biasing?  

Ken

El Borbah

« Reply #75 on: 7 Oct 2005, 11:43 pm »
I'm curious about prokennex's impressions too.  I'm one of the installment plan folks :D and while I'm waiting for my amps to show up it would be good to read another review.

alotaklipsch

« Reply #76 on: 8 Oct 2005, 04:32 am »
GARY,

I paid in full 3 months ago, how much longer? :nono:

bhd812

« Reply #77 on: 8 Oct 2005, 10:47 am »
Quote from: alotaklipsch
GARY,

When you get them bring them over to my house...I am dying to compare these with my Dodd 50's

I will buy you lunch!

alotaklipsch

« Reply #78 on: 8 Oct 2005, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: bhd812
Quote from: alotaklipsch
GARY,

When you get them bring them over to my house...I am dying to compare these with my Dodd 50's

I will buy you lunch!

And I am dying to compare them to my Berning ZH270, NOSValves VRD's, Cary CAD M211 Anniversary's, EAR 890's, heh heh heh

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #79 on: 8 Oct 2005, 10:18 pm »
Hi guys. I have been so very busy the last few weeks getting things ready for the show in Denver last week and did not find time to get in here and give an up date. We left for Denver on the 28th last month and returned on the 4th. I since then have gotten caught up on all the business I missed out on during that period. As of Monday this week I will be back full steam on putting together the rest of the amps and follow with the burn-in process. I should be able to start shipping 3 pairs of amps at a time within the next 3 weeks.

I know it has been some time since some of you paid, but believe me I got covered up with way too many orders this last sale I did, and didn't think I would ever sell that much at once. I really appreciate your patience and hope you all can hold on a little longer.
I need to answer the biasing questions. It doesn't matter if the pre is on or not. Flip the switch, hold it and adjust the appropiate pot to 70 ma on the meter. Release the swith, flip it the other direction and adjust that bank of tubes to 70 ma on the meter. Your done. After an hour or so go back and do the same thing again and it will stay stable from then on.

AMPS WILL BE COMING Hang on!
There is definately a pointer on the meter.