alotaklipsch

SPECIAL GROUP BUY DODD AUDIO 120 MONO'S
« Reply #122 on: 14 Dec 2005, 02:02 am »
Quote from: toobluvr
Quote from: alotaklipsch
Tubelver

thanks, 8 bucks apeice, not bad, hope ya gots great ears :lol:

Huh?  I'm not quite following....... :?

OK, I break it down, thanks for the tip on where to get the tubes, I called them and bought 6 of them for my dodd's, I hope you are right that they sound better than the Tungsols.......... :lol:  :o  :mrgreen:  :surrender:

Oh yeah, and they are 8 bucks a peice, x 6 is 48 bucks plus shipping.

Not bad upgrade for the ducats

So, once again.............THANKS :beer:

Get it now?

toobluvr

« Reply #123 on: 14 Dec 2005, 03:44 am »

Huh?  I'm not quite following....... :?

OK, I break it down, thanks for the tip on where to get the tubes, I called them and bought 6 of them for my dodd's, I hope you are right that they sound better than the Tungsols.......... :lol:  :o  :mrgreen:  :surrender:

Oh yeah, and they are 8 bucks a peice, x 6 is 48 bucks plus shipping.

Not bad upgrade for the ducats

So, once again.............THANKS :beer:

Get it now?

Uh-Oh....I feels the pressure!   :wink:  

"Better" is pretty subjective.  My impressions were posted after just a brief listen to the GE.  Compared to the TS, I heard better musicality and liquidity.  I did not hear a give-up anywhere.  Now that I've had a day to listen, they might be a bit less weighty in the bass.  Not sure since the Dodds are still burning.....but they might be.  in any event, they sound VG to me, and at this point, I still prefer them overall to the TS.

Hope you like 'em. Once you've had a chance to listen, post your impressions.

Oh....and you're welcome!

alotaklipsch

« Reply #124 on: 14 Dec 2005, 04:00 am »
we shall see, so we shall 8)  :lol:  :wink:

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #125 on: 16 Dec 2005, 12:11 am »
Hey all, I need to clear up a few things. The amps actually have 100 hours of time on them before I ship them. I have never said they were fully burned in. I believe that they take at least 2-300 hours before settling in, and thats if your not changing tubes. I put the 100 hours on them to satisfy my needs. Typically a tube amp if it is going to be failure prone it will do so in the first 100 hours of use. They require time after me for sure. The Phillips Jan 5687's I ship with are very plentiful in numbers, and they are cheap. I do however make available in every order which tubes I think to be the best in these amps, and these tubes are available, but not in the quantities I typically buy them in.  :D  :D

alotaklipsch

« Reply #126 on: 28 Dec 2005, 10:56 pm »
Wow, thats all I can say right now.  My system is rocking, I CAN"T wait for

my modded amps to get here.  Gary, how they coming?

My recent changes are

NOS Mullard metal plates  Nos amperex 7119 pinch waist in middle, long with the latest Sound Applications, Reference Linestage, and some Ridgestreet Poima !!! interconnects, pC, and speaker wire.  I am also using my Cornwalls again, until this weekend when my Epiphany 12-12's get deilvered.

The best comment came from my wife, who HATES my obsession with passion.  I asked if she heard any difference in my system..........ehr exact words were...........IT SOUND LIVE, LIKE THE PERFORMERS ARE RIGHT HERE IN ROOM...............i AM SMILING AGAIN!!!!!!!! :lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #127 on: 29 Dec 2005, 01:32 am »

my modded amps to get here........

Hi...

Is this with the 120 monos?

Do you mind telling what modded amps you are getting?

Thanks...John

alotaklipsch

« Reply #128 on: 29 Dec 2005, 03:29 pm »

my modded amps to get here........

Hi...

Is this with the 120 monos?

Do you mind telling what modded amps you are getting?

Thanks...John

I am wiating for Gary to mod the same Dodd 120'ss I have, but these I bought form Bill Witherespoon who had them all Cromed domed and purty, I also bought the Dodd referebce pREAMP.  gARY IS INSTALLING THE platinum sonicaps, along with other upgrades.  I put the Sound Applications, reference loinesdteage into my system last week, and WOW, whatachange.  These amps seem almost twice as powerful as before,a and the sound is AMAZING, compared to all y other condertioners.  WOW, even my Wife, who hates my obsession with a passion, told me, my stereo sound real, LIKE THE PERFORMERS ARE IN OUR ROOM.  WOW I am loving it.  I get my Epiphany 12-12's this weekend too....... :beer:  :tempted:

toobluvr

« Reply #129 on: 29 Dec 2005, 07:01 pm »
I am wiating for Gary to mod the same Dodd 120'ss I have, but these I bought form Bill Witherespoon who had them all Cromed domed and purty, I also bought the Dodd referebce pREAMP.  gARY IS INSTALLING THE platinum sonicaps, along with other upgrades.  I put the Sound Applications, reference loinesdteage into my system last week, and WOW, whatachange.  These amps seem almost twice as powerful as before,a and the sound is AMAZING, compared to all y other condertioners.  WOW, even my Wife, who hates my obsess ...

I know I'm probably being dense here, but as a fellow Dodd 120 owner, I wanna fully understand your path to sonic nirvana......

Sound Applications?  is that a linestage?

I'm not following what gear was used with what gear to achieve "apparently more power, and AMAZING sound"?  
Stock Dodd 120's + Sound Applications preamp?

"condertioners"??   what's that?

:?  :?  :?  :?  :?

TomS

« Reply #130 on: 30 Dec 2005, 01:22 pm »
The Sound Application Reference LineStage (RLS) is a power line filter with digital and analog filtered outlets made by Jim Weil at www.soundapplication.com.  His website is hopelessly out of date so the best thing to do is give him a call.  Brace yourself, though, as he talks faster than the fedex man.  Several reviewers use his filters over all the others (Hydra, BPT, Walker, etc.) but just don't talk about much (he doesn't advertise that I know of).   Jim actually tunes his filters using his eyes, not his ears, using an older Sony XBR.  The improvement on video quality is even easier to perceive than listening.

I bought both the RLS and wall outlets from him, though others have said the Porter Ports sound better.  The filters are VERY pricey, but once you've heard it, all that money trying to find the right conditioner, power cables, IC's, etc. pales in comparison.  You can let up on the uber expensive power cords too.  I'm using Mac Delta and Harmonix X-DC's which he recommends besides the stock Belden cords right out of the Newark catalog.

toobluvr

« Reply #131 on: 30 Dec 2005, 04:24 pm »
Quote from: TomS
The Sound Application Reference LineStage (RLS) is a power line filter with digital and analog filtered outlets made by Jim Weil at www.soundapplication.com.  His website is hopelessly out of date so the best thing to do is give him a call.  Brace yourself, though, as he talks faster than the fedex man.  Several reviewers use his filters over all the others (Hydra, BPT, Walker, etc.) but just don't talk about much (he doesn't advertise that I know of).   Jim actually tunes his filters using his eyes, not hi ...

Thanks Tom......
I went back and read the Sound Application/Porter Ports thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23756&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Very interesting and informative stuff.  
Thanks for the education!

Just great...now there is something else to dump $ on!  
 :lol: