bicycles

PhilNYC

Re: bicycles
« Reply #360 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:35 pm »

Any more mt. bikers here?

Before I got into road biking, I was mostly into mountain biking....

My bike - Fat Chance Yo Eddy!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #361 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:46 pm »
Buddy, I'd try bmx platforms for commuting.  :thumb:

(Of course I use them for everything, fwiw)

Phil, nice Fat Chance! I'd keep that for a collectors item, might be worth big bucks someday...

Dave

Rob S.

« Reply #362 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:49 pm »
Phil,
    Nice hardtail.

DAVE,
Cool picture,  I ride more XC than the tough scary stuff, but we have a good bit of the tough stuff here in WV.  What part of the country you in?  Been to Snowshoe, WV?   Have a good DH course there.

Rob S.

PhilNYC

« Reply #363 on: 9 Apr 2008, 10:06 pm »

Phil, nice Fat Chance! I'd keep that for a collectors item, might be worth big bucks someday...

Dave

Yep!  it was one of the last ones made in Somerville, MA before Chris Chance sold the business (just himself, really) to Serotta back in 1994.   :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #364 on: 9 Apr 2008, 11:05 pm »
Heres my bomber. Made it to 1X9. Going to go 650b soon 

AB

« Reply #365 on: 9 Apr 2008, 11:45 pm »
Anybody here been riding a 29'er mtn bike?  I'm in the market for one and wanted some suggestions of what to buy in the 1-2k range.

Short list is:  Gary Fisher-   Paragon or X-caliber
                 Gunnar
                  Niner--- although will probably be out of my price range

Probably want to buy a complete bike, not frame/fork only. 

Thanks,

Rob

You might look into one of these...

http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1516&pid=8766

Great prices from Felt.

I just bought one of these...

http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1515&pid=8672

It should be here in a few days. :thumb:

These are my mtn bikes...
Truth

Id

5Spot

I actually do ride all of them. That's just about all I do is ride.  :oops:

maxwalrath

« Reply #366 on: 10 Apr 2008, 06:42 am »
Just putting a feeler out...if anyone has a cheap road bike they want to sell or trade for some stereo gear, let me know. (62cm I think, I'm 6'3" and need decent leg extension to almost straight due to knee issues)  Craigslist and ebay have slim pickings. 

BikeWNC

« Reply #367 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:02 pm »
I have a 62cm Calfee Luna Pro frame for sale.  It might be more than you want and you would have to get the other parts needed to hang on it to make a bike.  Just thought I would throw that out. 

maxwalrath

« Reply #368 on: 10 Apr 2008, 10:33 pm »
Sounds like a great frame.  I would be a little worried that I might want the 64 (what's your size and how was the fit?), and that by the time everything was set up, it would cost a bit more than I was hoping to spend.  Can you PM me an asking price, and I can check around with how much a complete setup will cost?  If you have any ideas about that I'd also appreciate your input, assembling a bike wasn't what I had in mind but looking into this could be an interesting way to find out more about bikes in general.

BikeWNC

« Reply #369 on: 10 Apr 2008, 11:37 pm »
Sounds like a great frame.  I would be a little worried that I might want the 64 (what's your size and how was the fit?), and that by the time everything was set up, it would cost a bit more than I was hoping to spend.  Can you PM me an asking price, and I can check around with how much a complete setup will cost?  If you have any ideas about that I'd also appreciate your input, assembling a bike wasn't what I had in mind but looking into this could be an interesting way to find out more about bikes in general.

Hey, clean out your mailbox cause it's full!

maxwalrath

« Reply #370 on: 11 Apr 2008, 12:11 am »
done, PM away!

nodiak

« Reply #371 on: 13 Apr 2008, 12:30 am »
Spring has sprung here in the PNW, motivating me to get an around town bike together. We moved into this apartment ~ 3 years ago and the guy moving out gave us a couple mtb frames with most components on them, pretty cool. Took me till now to put one together. It's a Cannondale Delta V500. Bought a cheap seat and stem, some cables, had wheels and got a pretty nice bike for ~ $25! Perfect for short trips around town. It's really smooth, has a head shock, and I put city slicks on it. I don't offroad anymore but did in the 80's - but that was before the sport developed to the extreme stuff folks do now.
Over the decades I used to commute alot on touring bikes then mtb's in the 80's and 90's. Specialized Sequoia and Stumpjumpers were my type. I get arthritic, etc. so had to go recumbents for any distance riding, but they can suck for on and off stuff. Feels good to ride this mtb, my body's got a lot of years on this style bike and went back to it naturally. Nice to get out of the car too.
Don

ctviggen

« Reply #372 on: 20 Apr 2008, 03:33 pm »
Finally got my racing bike reworked (new rear derailleur, front crankset, bottom bracket, cogset, chain, saddle, tubes, tires), and I rode it today.  It's so much faster than my mountain bike, which has studded large tires.  I rode an additional five miles on my racing bike, but it only took me about 8 minutes longer, and I had a massive 2 mile hill to climb. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #373 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:41 am »
I came across this story....Hey, Let Me 'Try Out' Your Bike!..... :?

Thought it might be of interest here.... :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #374 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:46 am »
I came across this story....Hey, Let Me 'Try Out' Your Bike!..... :?

Thought it might be of interest here.... :thumb:

Hey!

You've got to be stupid to let a stranger that came out of nowhere try your bike in NYC   :duh: :lol:

Maybe if he is also a biker with similar bike and want to try my bike than I might...... uhhhh you know that's still no :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #375 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:51 am »
Sounds scary.  You can also get your bike jacked in the subway aswell.  Threatened, bikes are not worth your life.  I'd give it up and buy a better bike. :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #376 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:51 am »
How much is that bike in the photo?

Levi

« Reply #377 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:59 am »
Don't know by just looking at it. 

Those Aerospoke front wheels costs $260 +

LadyDog

« Reply #378 on: 29 Apr 2008, 10:00 pm »
Thought I'd add a few pictures of my new bikes.

PhilNYC

« Reply #379 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:23 pm »
Any recommendations for clipless road pedals?

I've been using the Time Equipe Pro road pedals for the last decade or two.  Because I have Sidi Genius shoes, I've had to use a cleat adaptor on the shoe in order to fit the Time Equipe cleat.  Unfortunately, my adaptor broke last week (the threads that hold the front cleat in place got stripped), and I can't find a replacement adaptor anywhere, so I think I will finally have to get new pedals.

Any specific suggestions?  How are the new Time pedals?