Sub wiring testing

NoahH

Sub wiring testing
« on: 7 Jun 2022, 04:06 am »
I am very excited to say that my hx800 plate amps arrived today!

The bad news is that they did not work the second I hooked them up. I have barely started diagnosing, and I suspect it is something simple but I wanted to ask a couple questions since these are unusual in design given the servo and all.

1. The servo wires are not marked for which is for channel 1 vs channel 2. However, I notice that one set of the wires is smaller gauge than the others, which is also true for the voice cool wires. I assume the smaller pair goes together; is that right?

2. Will I have any issue with testing skipping the servo wire connections? Note I am not crazy and going to leave those off for real use, but diagnostically it would be nice to be able to fast-test without all the wires.

Thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Sub wiring testing
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2022, 04:21 am »
Smaller gauge wires are connected to the servo coils, larger gauge wires are for driver coils and there should be one pair of each size per channel.

Servo coils are connected in series, driver coils are connected in parallel, with 3 drivers per channel

You can possibly test at low volume for a quick, but it may not behave correctly since it's not detecting a servo signal & may try to over-correct since it's not detecting any servo feedback.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2022, 01:29 pm »
The HX800's I had used two different color wires for each channel with mine being red-black and yellow-black pairs.

As Hobbs said, the wire sizes go as he states, small is servo and large is driver coils.

The one thing odd is that the polarity changed on my wire pairs as follows:

Red=+, Black=- on the red/black pairs.

Yellow=-, Black=+ on the yellow/black pairs. 

Since I used mine on 6x12's I had the wiring backwards and had cancellation problems until I talked to Rythmik about it. 

Hope that helps.

NoahH

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2022, 10:06 pm »
The above definitely helps, and HAL, the polarity note is extremely helpful. I am doing 2x6 stacks too so would have hit this.

In retrospect it seems obvious that the smaller ones would be servo, but I had just assumed color was the indicator. Glad I asked here!