Widespread Panic, Album Recommendations?

consttraveler

• I think I won!
Widespread Panic, Album Recommendations?
« on: 5 May 2022, 02:23 pm »
Good Morning All;

I was in a restaurant in Jackson, WY yesterday and heard some great music coming out of their system.  I asked the owner who it was and was told it was Widespread Panic.

I am not familiar with the band and I don't stream (I'd rather see he artists get paid), so can any of you recommend  albums with their "best" work?  I'd prefer well recorded music either studio or live, as I have a highly resolving system.

Thanks, Dave.

guf

Re: Widespread Panic, Album Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2022, 02:58 pm »
you need all them, to you support the artist, obvi, but start with Space Wrangler and Everyday. Like other bands in this genre they rely on streaming their catalog of live shows, often in hi res to keep their fans flowing with a constant stream of music.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2022, 03:09 pm »
I really dig Don't Tell the Band, the song, "Casa Del Grillo" has lots of rhythm and punch.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2022, 04:20 pm »
Thanks guys!  I'll start there.

Factorz

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2022, 04:49 pm »
Light Fuse, Get Away is a great live record. I think it's taken from multiple shows.

ssglx

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2022, 05:57 pm »
Wood
Fantasic live album. Excellent recording.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2022, 10:05 pm »
Again, Thanks!

Dave

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2022, 01:46 am »
Just saw them in St. Augustine. Great show and a awesome venue.

Best band to ever come out of Athens.

WSP WIDESPREAD PANIC Card Mikey Houser Jack Diamonds 2.25x3.5" Poker  Playing $10.00 - PicClick

thetakeout

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2022, 03:11 am »
I would start with Light Fuse, Get Away & Everyday.

Space Wrangler is the first album and has tons of their classics but it isn't a great representation of their sound.  They dial in their sound on the second album. 

Great Band  Give them time and they will grow on you!

MttBsh

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2022, 03:39 am »
I like their live shows since Jimmy Herring joined on lead guitar. I believe he is one of the finest players on planet earth.

GeneS

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2022, 12:01 pm »
And the drummer is Duane Trucks, brother of Derek Trucks (Tedeschi Trucks Band) and nephew of Butch Trucks, a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band.
A lot of talent in that band. Enjoy!

Craig B

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2022, 01:22 pm »
I'm partial to their "Bombs and Butterflies" album.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2022, 03:57 pm »
Space Wrangler is exceptional imo, Everyday not far behind, otherwise live shows from when Mikey was on lead guitar is what to go for. I used to see them all the time but after Mikey died I had a hard time with his replacement... it showcased how original Mikey was and how much he really contributed to WSP, imo WSP is not really WSP without him. I saw his next to last show at Red Rocks 2002 just a few rows back, RIP Mikey.

decal

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2022, 10:46 pm »
Earth To America is my favorite WSP album. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2022, 02:19 am »
And the drummer is Duane Trucks, brother of Derek Trucks (Tedeschi Trucks Band) and nephew of Butch Trucks, a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band.
A lot of talent in that band. Enjoy!
He's also married to Jimmy Herrings daughter and  lives in my neighborhood.

whopnyc

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2022, 03:36 am »
As above said, Light Fuse Get Away is outstanding. I like live music so I prefer their live albums. Uber Cobra is a not often mentioned live album with George McConnell, their guitarist for 4 years after Mikey died, playing acoustic guitar. This album shows off what he was good at. I didn't particularly think his style fit Widespread, but this acoustic set is outstanding.

Escott1377

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2022, 12:42 pm »
I’ve contributed lots of cash and lots of traveling to see that band.  The Mikey era is their best.  IMO - Herring is an exceptional guitar player but does not fit their original sound.  Their live music is much better than their albums.  Light Fuse is a great start.  They also have a handful of multi tracked live releases.  The St Augustine release is in 24 bit.

Everyday will always be my favorite, the music is great and we did so much hanging out in college listening to that album.  The cover of the album features a very young Angelina Jolie.

The Uber Cobra album that was mentioned I think was from the House of Blues run in 2003.  McConnell plays acoustic on that release and does very well with that format.  Not so much electric.

Obviously, this all based on my opinion.  I went to Clemson in the 90’s where you could catch 3 shows in a row for $10 - 15 a show, sleep on your buddy’s floor, and still get a six pack.  My back and liver keeps me home these days :)

Escott1377

« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2022, 12:45 pm »
Space Wrangler is exceptional imo, Everyday not far behind, otherwise live shows from when Mikey was on lead guitar is what to go for. I used to see them all the time but after Mikey died I had a hard time with his replacement... it showcased how original Mikey was and how much he really contributed to WSP, imo WSP is not really WSP without him. I saw his next to last show at Red Rocks 2002 just a few rows back, RIP Mikey.

I was at this run as well and Mikey’s demise was eminent and he was honest about it.  I remember looking at my buddy on Sunday and saying this is our last Chilly Water ever and it was.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2022, 02:56 pm »
Much thanks to all that replied!

These responses are what I was hoping for.  Again, Thanks!

Dave