NX Studio Frequency Response Curves

Frank M

NX Studio Frequency Response Curves
« on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:06 pm »

I am nearing completion of my NX Studio speakers.  Almost a year in the making - it's been a labor of love.

I intend to use two subwoofers in the system.  I would like to have as much info as possible as I begin integrating the subs with the NX Studios.  While I have the frequency response curves provided by GR Research, they do not show behavior of these speakers below 200Hz. 
Does anyone have this data.  Maybe it was posted but I missed it.
Thanks for your help.

Frank

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: NX Studio Frequency Response Curves
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:33 pm »
Frank, those look fantastic! Nicely done.  :thumb: As for frequency responce down low, it seems to vary room to room. My listening space is small (10dx12wx8h) so they play down to ~45hz easily. If I were to live with no subs, I would not complain much until I pop on stuff I know has a ton of bass. I would recommend testing each speaker out separately with the subs off and seeing where your speakers roll off, and backfill each sub up to that point. My room is a bit funky so I have my subs crossed in at different levels than normal, but it makes for a closer level match between l & r and a smoother room response. I would first recommend lots of testing with room placement prior to even touching subs. These speakers have a great ability to sound good in multiple locations, but your room will have one that gives an "A-ha!" sweet spot. Just be patient playing around with setup. It'll be worth it.

-Lloyd

kenreau

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2022, 11:32 pm »
Do you guys happen to know what the NX studio speaker efficiency is?  I can't seem to locate it here, or on the GR website.

Thx
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2022, 05:22 am by kenreau »

mkrawcz

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2022, 11:39 pm »
Its about 89db

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2022, 12:06 am »
Its closer to 87db. On average

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2022, 12:13 am »

I am nearing completion of my NX Studio speakers.  Almost a year in the making - it's been a labor of love.

I intend to use two subwoofers in the system.  I would like to have as much info as possible as I begin integrating the subs with the NX Studios.  While I have the frequency response curves provided by GR Research, they do not show behavior of these speakers below 200Hz. 
Does anyone have this data.  Maybe it was posted but I missed it.
Thanks for your help.

Frank

the way we typically measure, doesnt allow for accurate measurements below 200Hz.

The only ways to accurately measure below 200Hz is in the near field at a low volume, or in an anechoic chamber. (Or using the Klippel robot taking, tons of measurements to more accurately estimate in-room response.)

But generally speaking, it measures flat down to about 70Hz which is its -3db point. Fairly standard for most sealed 2-way bookshelf.

nlitworld

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2022, 02:39 am »
Its closer to 87db. On average

Just means I need to turn up the dial a little more. Oh darn... They're about 6db less efficient than my old speakers, but my receiver gets turned up about 10-12db more because it's finally enjoyable to listen at a louder 90+dB rather than ear fatigue setting in at 85db.

Frank M

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2022, 09:38 am »
Thanks to all who responded  to my query. 

Good info on low frequency measurements, efficiency and 3dB down point.

I have no doubt that integration of the two Rythmik F-12G subs (GR Research paper cone woofer and 370PEQ amp) will be an evolving process.

Frank

JWCoffman

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2022, 02:04 pm »
REW (free) and a UMIK ($80) goes a long way in helping to tie in subs.  There's a little bit of a learning curve (which I've only scratched the surface of), but lots of resources to help newbies.

nlitworld

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2022, 02:31 pm »
REW (free) and a UMIK ($80) goes a long way in helping to tie in subs.  There's a little bit of a learning curve (which I've only scratched the surface of), but lots of resources to help newbies.

Those really are a double edged sword. Since they allow you to see improvements in placement and subwoofer integration, it becomes an obsessive fixation on improvement.  :lol: Try to take breaks to listen to HOW the sound changes and keep ibuprofen handy for the stress headaches.

With my small room, I had to sacrifice having speakers farther out in the room giving a deep soundstage in order to get a smoother response from room modes and sub integration (2x SVS SB2000). I didn’t like the sound at first as it sounded flatter & more 2 dimensional, but in listening it showed that the room modes were a bigger detriment compared to the joy of a deep soundstage. The upside is I now can hear all the details I was missing with a boomy room. Everything matters in setup and room placement. Just try to keep in mind it's a fun hobby even if it's frustrating at times.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:15 pm »
Here's my advice if you are going to go down this route. 

Understand that you have 4 tools at your disposal to combat bass issues, you really should use a combo of all 4 to get best results:

1. Speaker placement
2. Listening seat placement
3. Room Treatment
4. EQ

I listed them in order of importance.  Try moving the speakers around first, then the listening seat, then get some bass traps that deal with your specific room modes, and use EQ last to just 'touch up' any problems you can't solve the other 3 ways. 

JWCoffman

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:28 pm »
Those really are a double edged sword. Since they allow you to see improvements in placement and subwoofer integration, it becomes an obsessive fixation on improvement.  :lol: Try to take breaks to listen to HOW the sound changes and keep ibuprofen handy for the stress headaches.

With my small room, I had to sacrifice having speakers farther out in the room giving a deep soundstage in order to get a smoother response from room modes and sub integration (2x SVS SB2000). I didn’t like the sound at first as it sounded flatter & more 2 dimensional, but in listening it showed that the room modes were a bigger detriment compared to the joy of a deep soundstage. The upside is I now can hear all the details I was missing with a boomy room. Everything matters in setup and room placement. Just try to keep in mind it's a fun hobby even if it's frustrating at times.
Agreed, I'm afraid to dig deeper into it than I already have.  I will say that using two subs makes the process far simpler than trying to even out room modes with just one.  By crossing over my subs a little higher than expected I was able to get rid of the 45hz boom in my room, though there is now a smaller 50hz peak that I need to address.  REW really helped ID the problem and show when I was making progress in fixing it.  I need to dig into room treatments now that I've largely gotten speaker placement and crossover dialed in.  Further down the rabbit hole...

nlitworld

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:47 pm »
Further down the rabbit hole...

It's dark and lonely down there, but it sounds SOOOO good. Lol.