What CD player are you using with your 1801?

pem

• http://pemoreau.neuf.fr/speakers.html
« on: 2 Apr 2005, 08:54 pm »
I think that Dave recommends the Anthem CD-1 as a good companion for the 1801. However, it is quite difficult to find in 220V version.
What other CD players would you recommend to go with a Jolida 302B and the 1801?

kind regards,
  Pierre-Etienne

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2005, 08:54 pm »
This is a good question.  You might consider contacting Salva via the customer community page.  I'm sure he will have some insight.

Also, as you approach this, understand that having a tube (or tubes) in a CD player doesn't automatically make it good.  The tube is actually a very small part of the equasion.  Good internal power regulation and good parts are actually much more important.   I mention this so you will know that buying a cheap tube CD player will not likely net the same results.

Hmmmm, I have a thought that might be worth experimentation.  You could purchase a Denon 910 DVD player.  Mine actually has very good sound quality, and they are darn cheap.  It'll lack some of the smooth dynamics present in the Anthem CD-1, but the Denon 910 is a very good sounding CD player - Much better than the Rotel 971 IMO.

Dave

randog

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2005, 04:49 pm »
My Norh CD-1 actually tops my Anthem CD-1 in stock form, tho I do have it loaded with Sylvania GB 5751's. However, Dave's got some mods to better the Anthem which I haven't called him on yet. (Still planning to call you about that Dave :!: )

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2005, 09:14 pm »
Maybe you should try the mods on the CD1. I had one of those a while back and really liked the sound.  I sold it because it didn't work well as a transport (kept losing sync).  If it worked, I would have kept it today.  It was very well constructed and I bet would be a great candidate for a cap mod and maybe a FRED replacement.  It's still one of the best looking CDP's I have seen.  I had the OEM model (same but not nOrh) in all black.  Beautiful player!

J

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2005, 09:42 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Maybe you should try the mods on the CD1. I had one of those a while back and really liked the sound.  I sold it because it didn't work well as a transport (kept losing sync).  If it worked, I would have kept it today.  It was very well constructed and I bet would be a great candidate for a cap mod and maybe a FRED replacement.  It's still one of the best looking CDP's I have seen.  I had the OEM model (same but not nOrh) in all black.  Beautiful player!

J

Your experience mirrors mine with the CD-1.

In fact it's one of the very few pieces I wish I still had....IT was a very good and musical CDP and a sucky transport..well when it didn't lose synch it sounded very good as a transport as well, but that synch thing drove me crazy...

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2005, 09:44 pm »
Pem, do you have access to the AH! Tjoeb players from Holland?  They may be a good player for your 1801's.  I have an early version, the AH! 98, that's pretty good, the new ones are said to be better.

randog

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2005, 09:55 pm »
Quote from: randog
My Norh CD-1 actually tops my Anthem CD-1 in stock form, tho I do have it loaded with Sylvania GB 5751's. However, Dave's got some mods to better the Anthem which I haven't called him on yet. (Still planning to call you about that Dave :!: )

I knew this was confusing when I wrote it. It should read:

My Norh CD-1 actually tops my stock Anthem CD-1, tho I do have it loaded with Sylvania GB 5751's. However, Dave's got some mods to better the Anthem which I haven't called him on yet. (Still planning to call you about that Dave :!: )

Can you guys describe the synching problem? What does that mean?

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2005, 10:05 pm »
I knew this was confusing when I wrote it. It should read:

My Norh CD-1 actually tops my stock Anthem CD-1, tho I do have it loaded with Sylvania GB 5751's. However, Dave's got some mods to better the Anthem which I haven't called him on yet. (Still planning to call you about that Dave :!: )

Can you guys describe the synching problem? What does that mean?

When you hit fast forward, skip stop, etc..it would lose the "lock" and you might have to unplug the digital cable to get the DAC to synch back up.

randog

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2005, 10:09 pm »
Thanks Marbles, so this doesn't apply in analog...

Jackman, can you still get a QDS-15?

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2005, 10:14 pm »

It does not apply in analog.

If the nOrh CD1 had a power switch on the front instead of the back, I would still have it  :cry:

I do not think you can still get the QDS-15

randog

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2005, 10:33 pm »
:lol: That's funny you mention that, Marbles! I had mine traded because it wouldn't read my CD-R's and took it back because the new owner had a problem with it reading redbook... after cleaning the lens it has been flawless since... ANYWAYS, I put it in my armoire with the Anthem CD-1 to compare the two and cursed every time I had to push back my DVD player to turn it on!

Power switches in the back simply suck! Hey Klaus, are your ears burning? I don't care if it's on a cdp an amp or a blender fercryinoutloud :!: Power switches belong on the front panel!

My Stratos' drive me crazy for the same reason... as does my BPT conditioner...  :evil:

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2005, 11:57 pm »

I'm with Marbles on this one, I don't think they are available.  It's one of the things I wish I still had.  The RAM (modwright) CDP I have with tube output sounds much better, but it's also more than twice the price.  I sold my QDS for around $400 and regret it.

I wish it didn't have that sync problem with the DAC.  Everything about that player was heavy duty and it looked really cool in black on black.  I'm an idiot for selling it!

J

rmihai0

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2005, 01:13 pm »
Hi Pierre,

I will consider a Cambridge Azur 640 C or a Consonance CD-120B. If you want to spend more, then look for a Marantz SA-8400 or an Arcam CD-192.

You have also very good options for CD manufactures in France:
- MICROMEGA Minium
- ATOLL CD-80
- YBA CD special
- CAIRN Fog Face Nord

Either choice will make you happy. Good luck with your choice.

pem

• http://pemoreau.neuf.fr/speakers.html
« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2005, 07:55 pm »
Dear all,

I would like to thank you for your suggestions. After a very long quest, I finally bought a Vecteur L-4.2.
This is a well made CD player which is both precise, detailled and musical.
The bass are tight. This gives me a lot of pleasure.

thanks again,
  Pierre-Etienne

hubert

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2005, 09:14 pm »
Hello Pierre-Etienne,

I listened with you  :wink: to this Vecteur vs an Eera dl1 with my Rogers E40a on my floorstanded 1801's in my dead listening room. We agreed that the superiority of the Vecteur is in his stiffness and accuracy; the Eera, even if less accurate and less real, has a kind of wealthiness that gives sweetness to the music.
Where are the listening differencies between our reverses systems? (amp and listening room)
Have the character of your 1801's changed with this cd player vs others you have listened to?
IYO, do the 1801's merit/sublimate such an accurate source?

:beer:

rez

« Reply #15 on: 4 Oct 2005, 03:37 am »
perhaps the the translation machine has suffered from an excess of vin rouge... peut etre?   :D

hubert

« Reply #16 on: 4 Oct 2005, 05:28 pm »
Rez,

perhaps the the translation machine

Sometimes I use the the the the translation machine, sometimes not not not not.

suffered from an excess of vin rouge... peut etre?

Maybe the mixture of the red wine drunk by the translation machine and the Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris drunk by myself isn't appropriate to let you feel my listening impressions...so from now on, I will use translation machines which drink only white wines.  :wink:

PS: IF I wasn't drunk, the Vecteur L4.2 is a real bargain.
      If I was drunk, it's a bargain anyway.
Bonne nuit cousin, fais de beaux rêves... :kiss:

:beer:  Oops... that's another mixture :!:

rez

« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2005, 09:54 pm »
Hubert,
Tres bon!  Well spoken - like the Vecteur, delivering the goods in the smoothest possible manner.   :beer:
(Let's pretend those are wine glasses)
Roman

teiki arii

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2005, 01:41 pm »
I have listened the Vecteur L4.2 -tweaked a little by Tony Gee- on the pemo's system with his Ellis 1801 and mines - a little different "resistance combination 8/12,5 vs 8/15- and it was excellent in both cases. Mines -8/15- are more analytic, a little more listener fatigue but quite good as well...
My Cayin -Full AD843- is less good at this point, but with OPA627BP -in despite of less extreme bass- is astonishing with exceptionnal soundstage. I know that mine is less good than Vecteur because of the lack of bass but it should be terrific I'm sure when tweaked soon... :wink:

hubert

« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2005, 06:14 pm »
He-he teiki arii,

you make me  :lol:
TO SET FUNNILY:
My Cayin -Full AD843- is less good at this point, but with OPA627BP -in despite of less extreme bass- is astonishing with exceptionnal soundstage.

whithout any opa but with a 2 very good output transformers, details, transparency and dynamic are allways better.

I know that mine is less good than Vecteur because of the lack of bass

The frequencies-range extension is one of the main differencies between common and high-end stuffs (in term of listening, not necessarily of price-range).

but it should be terrific I'm sure when tweaked soon...

Good luck :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:beer: